Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 - Page 5
Close

Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

This is a discussion on Suzuki Intruder VS 1400 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I think your should read this through twice: TIG Process (GTAW): Tips and Techniques then smoke a joint and give it another try....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

I think your should read this through twice: TIG Process (GTAW): Tips and Techniques then smoke a joint and give it another try.
    MarkHarold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I think your should read this through twice: TIG Process (GTAW): Tips and Techniques then smoke a joint and give it another try.
    Thanks for advice, all good. It has pointed out several areas where I was getting it wrong. I've bookmarked it, I'll read it everytime before starting.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Cheers, Mark
    Struth! Stone the crows and starve the lizards.

Me and the dog been jiving with Bowie...'I can't explain..I'm going outa my mind...dizzy in the head... I can't explain.. I'm a worried guy..'. This is what the exhaust will look like. I just get it adjusted so, then Biscuit rocks through and smashes everything with his tail, you gotta love him.
    Name:  P_20170117_145001.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  1.92 MB
    I'm trying to keep large radius bends, 145mm on the rear, I have to go down to 125mm on the front, and both headers are 90cm, amazing, pure luck.
    Name:  P_20170117_144504.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  1.89 MB
    Next step is to go from cardboard to ply.
    Last edited by MarkHarold; 01-17-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    Cheers, Mark

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

A man has got to know his limitations, well that's if he wants to do himself a favour. There is no way I could have welded this tank, the metal is just too thin for me. My son's mate is doing the welding, I'm just happy to fit and tack it together, and my tacking is improving. As mentioned earlier, I messed up the slicing and dicing a bit, but it's coming together OK. I think the secret is to keep the original cuts to horizontal, vertical and perpendicular. Having said that, I will most probably make a right balls up of the 2nd tank.
    Name:  P_20170130_133237.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  716.8 KB
    Farmer_John likes this.
    Cheers, Mark

I've bought the brake calipers, 1 off a GSX-R 600 and the other off a GSX-R 750, different makes but otherwise identical. This is roughly the mounting position.
    Name:  P_20170201_184328.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  650.2 KB
    Due to the 5mm dish in the disc, there is a corresponding offset in the caliper mounting, a pain in the butt, but because the disc modifications were pretty simple, I think this disc was the right choice. I'm not sure that this caliper is the best choice though. Another caliper with closer mounting points would allow moving the caliper closer to the forks. I think I will re-visit the re-cycle man tomorrow.
    I'm thinking of making the adaptor plate out of 10mm and 5mm stainless plate. I suppose it could be made out of aluminium, but I prefer stainless.
    Cheers, Mark

Those zip ties are never going to hold

You're attaching a cast aluminum part to a cast aluminum part and aluminum is a lot easier to shape and work with, none of it has to move around once you bolt it all up because your disc is designed to float and I'm pretty sure that calliper has pistons that push against each other, yes? ... I'd go with aluminum. Stainless looks nice in raw form but unless you have to make the parts super thin I'm not sure what the motivation would be.

Just be aware of where your stresses are.

Name:  robinson-pg101.png
Views: 432
Size:  70.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Those zip ties are never going to hold

You're attaching a cast aluminum part to a cast aluminum part and aluminum is a lot easier to shape and work with, none of it has to move around once you bolt it all up because your disc is designed to float and I'm pretty sure that calliper has pistons that push against each other, yes? ... I'd go with aluminum. Stainless looks nice in raw form but unless you have to make the parts super thin I'm not sure what the motivation would be.

The zip ties are in compression so they should be okay. You should swap them for the stronger Green zip ties though.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    Just be aware of where your stresses are.

Name:  robinson-pg101.png
Views: 432
Size:  70.9 KB
    I wish there were some numbers to work with here. We know moving it makes the forces change by 2.67 times, but is that enough to make it unsafe , or just one better than the other?
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    I wish there were some numbers to work with here. We know moving it makes the forces change by 2.67 times, but is that enough to make it unsafe , or just one better than the other?
    I guess the question should be: what are the max forces (to the point of failure) that the mounting points are able to withstand under the new force vectors? After that you'd need to figure out the max forces exerted by the new setup, and determine if you are under an acceptable safety margin.

that's not even factoring in the effects of those forces over time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links