Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
Close

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

This is a discussion on Moto Guzzi V11 Sport within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi Everyone, * Thought *i would start a build thread for my newest addition to the garage - a V11 Lemans maskerading as a V11 ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Hi Everyone,
    Thought *i would start a build thread for my newest addition to the garage - a V11 Lemans maskerading as a V11 Sport

These pics were taken a few years ago and unfortunately by the time i got it was in a well worn condition, shredded rear tyre, faded filthy paintwork, rust, starter issues and in need of a major service. I replaced tyres , pads, oils, etc but on the second journey around the block found the quickest way to visit a hospital was in the back of an ambulance.
    I recall nothing of the accident which is the worst in 30yrs of riding and racing and 15yrs since the last crash (kangaroo at 130kms) and as much as i have tried, can't find what happened although it seems like a low side but no reason i even would have been on the brakes. Anyway... bike wasn't as damaged as me.
    Howdy -*

After finishing the TRX850 in the front here, i put the V11 up on the lift and started looking into what i needed to do to fix the beast up.

The started issues were a bad relay, simple.. Then I stripped a thread on the sump plug so knowing i had to pull the sump off, i got a roper plate in anticipation of the rebuild.

I have new rotors front and rear now and as i started stripping down the bike, I thought... i have to keep going. It needs so much tidying up. It filthy from sitting outside in the sun, rain and dust. The oil line to a head leaks, i think a stripped thread too, there is rust on some of the sub frame at the front, the gauges needed repairs and to be honest, i love the V11 but they look heavy so i want to at least make it look more cafe racer.

So I have started accumulating parts, clip ons, new speedo (selling the old set) new headlight which i will make the same as the TRX and Ducati in the pic, and probably a few bits and pieces as i go, like dropping the side covers for K&N with Bell mouths, carbon fibre where possible/affordable, new pipes, new pegs, new paint, new shock . Clean everything else
    Some things I *love about the V11 are the lines and curves. So i don't think i will change the seat *or rear end, but i won't rule it out either. I will be making some sort of tail tidy though, possibly even under seat exhaust like i did with the TRX.*
    If you have seen something like what i am talking about, please post the pic here or link.*
    I'll add pics as I go. Cheers Neil
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 08-11-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    "If you give up drinking and smoking you don't actually live longer, it just seems longer"

www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz ....look in the albums

i have been thinking about what it should look like. I guess a couple of things that will happen
    - needs to be two seater
    - will have clipons
    - will lose the side covers, airbox - convert to pod filters and velocity stacks
    - deciding to clean and polish the bevel box - probably.
    - black paint, some custom decals
    - probably clean off the paint from the motor, but i'll see how it cleans up first.
    - billet headlight, same as the my other bikes - 7inch
    - single speedo same as the TRX
    - drop the ignition switch and use a motogadget prox switch, same as my TRX
    - new pipes, not sure whether same position or under seat but it will definitely by 2 into 2, not 2into1

if it was going to be a single seater, then it would be simpler - small seat/tail, new sub frame but i really want at least one bike with two seats so i can take my daughter out for a ride in a year or two when she's ready.

I want to make the bike look lighter.
    "If you give up drinking and smoking you don't actually live longer, it just seems longer"

Daft as it sounds the colour of the wheels and engine block will help you make it look lighter.

Lighter coloured wheels make the bike "stand up" where darker ones tend to hunker the look down. Same with that mass of black on the engine.

I'd look at breaking up the solid block of colour in the centre of the bike.

The rest will be helped by the tail-tidy, ditching the huge silencers and bizarrely i think losing those side panels is gonna transform the shape of the bike.

I told wifey the same as I'm gonna tell you: Black is only a slimming colour when you turn the lights out!!!
    knumbnutz likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Yeah colour choices certainly changes the visual weight.

Im having second thoughts about the seat.

I think I will do two seat units, keep the original seat and fix it and build a nice single unit and swap them out (4 bolts) keeping the electrics down to one or two plugs.

something along these lines

Last edited by knumbnutz; 11-24-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    pwalo likes this.

I like where you're going with this. I can't wait to find a deal on another Guzzi, and a V11 is going to be it, I believe. Does that newer backbone frame handle as well as the Tonti frame?
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

The Tontis were super for their vintage. My lightened guzzi at 185kg was fantastic on the track or road.
    The first thing I noticed when i rode one when they came out was how sloppy the front suspension was, the rest of it was great, much better motor, fueling, ergos etc.
    Now FF 16 years and this was similar badly dampened in the front and the sachs in the rear was failing.
    Since the crash, i have removed the forks and stripped them and since this is a common complaint that the forks have no compression dampening no matter what the setting on the adjuster is set to and found what looks to be a small fix for the dampeners.
    On these marzocchi forks they have separate forks for compression and rebound. What we believe happens is that the fluid goes out 3 bypass holes in the dampener before going through the shim stack on the rod and shim stack on the small end.
    So weld up one of the three holes and this forces the fluid through the shims and especially through the adjuster hole in the piston valve

DSC_0161 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

DSC_0164 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

Hole filled
    5ed43a9980459b8f6279be40859a0986 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

Needs Clean..
    DSC_0181 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

DSC_0188 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

Finished -
    DSC_0189 by Neil Morgan, on Flickr

This fixes the rear shock issue. Wilbers V11 Sport shock
    Name:  30891812585_c3f8d23c43_b.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  124.5 KB
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 11-27-2016 at 09:20 PM.

lots of the marzocchi have bleed holes that bleed off compression damping until about 2/3 travel. i would expect at some point all those holes to be above the piston and then not active. weld them all up so that way the valving and shim stack actually get to act as most use them. you could mark the cartridge between the piston at full compression and the valving unit so you can drill a bleed hole there that will be active through all the stroke to bleed off excessive low speed (well, i guess you can use the adjuster for that), and adjust the valving/oil weight to give you the mid and high speed you want.
    knumbnutz likes this.

Not much to go. Need to clean now and then maybe paint, maybe not... decisions.

New pistons are on the way, FWIW, replace the seals and gaskets etc etc..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 02-02-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Valves are as sloppy as a hookers twat so new valves and guides are on the way including some hi compression wiseco pistons from the USA.

Then it will be time to spray the barrels and engine now that it's apart.

That valve guide looks like it's cracked.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links