Hi all, I'm a complete noob to bikes in general. Bought one today, where to begin ? - Page 7
Close

Hi all, I'm a complete noob to bikes in general. Bought one today, where to begin ?

This is a discussion on Hi all, I'm a complete noob to bikes in general. Bought one today, where to begin ? within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jaguar Buying a project is a shit idea Starting the project by taking it apart is stupid. Learn to ride first after ...

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 174
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Hi all, I'm a complete noob to bikes in general. Bought one today, where to begin ?

  1. #61
    Junior Member M3Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Buying a project is a shit idea
    Starting the project by taking it apart is stupid.

    Learn to ride first after that learn to keep an old bike running.

    What is the point of "building" anything if you don't have a base line?
    How will you know if your improving anyting ?
    that's what pretty much what everyone else has said, but I'm in it now, and my baseline is it's a piece of shit and it won't be when I'm done with it.
    Last edited by M3Fanatic; 09-12-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    thechief86 and pwalo like this.

  2. #62
    Senior Member woodsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,466
    Print Geeto's check list and start a new thread in projects. This is a link to some info on your bike from the SOHC/4 sitehttp://manuals.sohc4.net/cb350/
    K9Swine likes this.

  3. #63
    Senior Member grandpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Laredo, Texas
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Fanatic View Post
    ... I'm in it now, and my baseline is it's a piece of shit and it won't be when I'm done with it.
    hee hee

    THAT is a proper reply (if indeed it is at least running, rideable, etc, when you're done)
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #64
    Member Norton 357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    71
    We all had to start somewhere. I bought a BSA 650 when I was just a little older than this guy and didn't even own a Whitworth wrench, but I learned a lot over the years and it was a good experience.

    Geeto had some excellent advice about getting the proper manual before you go too far. Sometimes the sequence of the way things come apart is important and you need to know if there is a special tool for the task you are working on.

    For my part, I would say take lots of pictures with your phone and maybe even videos of the way things look before disassembly and how they come apart, even things like the length of bolts and screws. This can be important later.

    Good luck and don't get discouraged by people beating you up about your approach. If nothing else you will learn from the mistakes you make, I know I did.
    thechief86 likes this.

  6. #65
    Fk5
    Fk5 is offline
    Senior Member Fk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cloverly, MD
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Buying a project is a shit idea
    Starting the project by taking it apart is stupid.

    Learn to ride first after that learn to keep an old bike running.

    What is the point of "building" anything if you don't have a base line?
    How will you know if your improving anyting ?
    I think some of this comes from cars.

    I was always a muscle car guy and when I was a kid, anytime somebody tried to alter a car everyone jumped up and down and yelled "How dare you alter ______?" When you wanted to mess around and learn you usually started on a beater, not a factory big block car. Here it is kind of the opposite, you guys jump on people for screwing with junk piles. If the goal is to spend seat time on a bike you are 100% correct. If the goal is to have a bike the OP will be proud to ride for a reasonable price, you are 100% correct. However, there still may be something to be said for playing with a junk pile and trying to learn something. I would be more bothered if the guy took a bike that was running and complete and stripped it down, painted the frame red and sold it off in 18 gallon Rubbermaid storage containers like everybody else. Let him play with his junk.

    He should get something to ride though. The M3 is a nice car, but I it isn't going to help his riding skills any.
    K9Swine likes this.

  7. #66
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Fanatic View Post
    that's what pretty much what everyone else has said, but I'm in it now, and my baseline is it's a piece of shit and it won't be when I'm done with it.
    Why keep going "just because that is what you have"?

    You really fail to understand how important a baseline is, and why it is important.

    What metric are you going to use to say the end is "better"?

    This guy spent time and money on the build.
    Because it was not thinking.....it is still shit.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  8. #67
    Senior Member jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    10,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
    I think some of this comes from cars.

    I was always a muscle car guy and when I was a kid, anytime somebody tried to alter a car everyone jumped up and down and yelled "How dare you alter ______?" When you wanted to mess around and learn you usually started on a beater, not a factory big block car. Here it is kind of the opposite, you guys jump on people for screwing with junk piles. If the goal is to spend seat time on a bike you are 100% correct. If the goal is to have a bike the OP will be proud to ride for a reasonable price, you are 100% correct. However, there still may be something to be said for playing with a junk pile and trying to learn something. I would be more bothered if the guy took a bike that was running and complete and stripped it down, painted the frame red and sold it off in 18 gallon Rubbermaid storage containers like everybody else. Let him play with his junk.

    He should get something to ride though. The M3 is a nice car, but I it isn't going to help his riding skills any.
    No one really learns much about bikes from a basket case.
    Want to learn to wrench? Buy a broken lawn mower.
    Want to learn to ride? Buy a working motorcycle and go ride.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch


    Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

  9. #68
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,274
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Fanatic View Post
    awesome! I'll get to it, also do you think it would be wise to remove the engine from the frame and work ok on it ?
    Not at this stage. Stage 1 is diagnostic. Once you know what you have to do then you can figure out what needs to be done. If you need to get inside the engine, yes it's probably better to take it out of the frame, but if it is diagnostic and you need it running - leave it where it is.

    Here is the thing about honda 4 cylinder aircooled engines: they were 1960's grand prix technology that honda put on the street in the 1970s. Compared to some of the modern stuff they are a little old tech, but they are also less easy to service as compared to new stuff and somewhat sensitive and temperamental. They were considered disposable at the time and even now because they are extremely expensive if you need internal parts to the point where it is always cheaper to buy another running used lump than rebuild what you have. They also suffer from "while I am in there" syndrome which is where you open it up to do rings and end up spending $1200 on new bearings through out. If your engine is making some awful knock or has some imminent catastrophic failure it might be better to look for a cb400/4 engine to replace it, but we will cross that bridge when you get there.

    You are going to need tools. Lots of tools. don't be afraid to buy them as you go. I have a thread about a 1975 cb750F I am working on that hadn't run in 25 years and there is a tools discussion on page 7, I think.
    thechief86 and K9Swine like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  10. #69
    Banned DohcBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,393
    These kids and hipsters have grand illusions of complete nut and bolt restorations and all you do by coddling them is ensure the disappointment of having to sell the thing in pieces. Tired of seeing a stupid ass trend be the cause of a mass scrapping of all the "worthless junk" out there. Keep egging them on, there will be none left before you know it, and they wont care they'll just move on. Some of us give a fuck about the supply of vintage bikes, they are not infinite.

  11. #70
    Junior Member M3Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    These kids and hipsters have grand illusions of complete nut and bolt restorations and all you do by coddling them is ensure the disappointment of having to sell the thing in pieces. Tired of seeing a stupid ass trend be the cause of a mass scrapping of all the "worthless junk" out there. Keep egging them on, there will be none left before you know it, and they wont care they'll just move on. Some of us give a fuck about the supply of vintage bikes, they are not infinite.
    thanks for your support dohc.
    pwalo likes this.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted- RZ350s- Complete bikes and/or parts
    By wolfeman28 in forum Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM
  2. Complete Noob from Hipster central!
    By LuisB in forum NEW MEMBERS READ HERE!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 08:20 PM
  3. guessing general is pretty general.
    By engel in forum General
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 06:30 PM
  4. 2010 bikes complete
    By joe1028 in forum Project Builds
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
  5. where did it begin?
    By JB in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM