'84 Gpz550 build - Page 2
Close

'84 Gpz550 build

This is a discussion on '84 Gpz550 build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; That looks nice. not a big fan of that front - but it does not require hacking to 'fix'. even when this came out, I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: '84 Gpz550 build

That looks nice. not a big fan of that front - but it does not require hacking to 'fix'.

even when this came out, I was not a big fan. I liked the cleaner Honda much better.

Quote Originally Posted by khungerf View Post
    That looks nice. not a big fan of that front - but it does not require hacking to 'fix'.

even when this came out, I was not a big fan. I liked the cleaner Honda much better.
    Then you should put this back together, sell it to someone who appreciates what it is and buy a basic Honda. Maybe one that someone else has already started to butcher so there isn't another vintage bike wasted.

"A full cafe build"...no such thing can be done with a 1984 GPz.

So, I have to ask- is the CB750 in your profile before or after your taste matured?

And that lower heavy price of fiberglass on the gpz was ugly when it came out, and ugly now.
    That isn't a CB750. Its a 1982 CB900F, and it more closely represents what my taste is currently. And to be honest, its where lots of the hobby is going to in my opinion. I'm slowly starting to see bikes that I appreciate again on the big blogs, Pipeburn, BikeEXIF, etc. For years I just stopped checking them out because it was the same 'ol stuff. It still is a lot of the same but at least they are maturing to something different. Fewer and fewer CB750K's, fewer flat seat fat tire CB360's or XS650 brats and more 80's era race-inspired bikes.

you're crazy if you don't think that fairing was hawt! It might very well be heavy but it looks so much more interesting and fun to me with it on.
    Name:  10238734826_1ee7195826_b.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  301.8 KB
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Then you should put this back together, sell it to someone who appreciates what it is and buy a basic Honda. Maybe one that someone else has already started to butcher so there isn't another vintage bike wasted.

"A full cafe build"...no such thing can be done with a 1984 GPz.
    But this is what I have and I got a great deal - besides it has a better motor than the mid 80's honda.

Sorry, you don't want me to 'hack it up', but you have a while to wait anyway. I am sure it will take me most of the winter to get everything mechanically sound. Until then, there is no 'hacking' or final decisions on what I will do with it.

(unless you are SO upset by the idea that you will pay me enough to just buy what I want!?)

Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
    That isn't a CB750. Its a 1982 CB900F, and it more closely represents what my taste is currently. And to be honest, its where lots of the hobby is going to in my opinion. I'm slowly starting to see bikes that I appreciate again on the big blogs, Pipeburn, BikeEXIF, etc. For years I just stopped checking them out because it was the same 'ol stuff. It still is a lot of the same but at least they are maturing to something different. Fewer and fewer CB750K's, fewer flat seat fat tire CB360's or XS650 brats and more 80's era race-inspired bikes.

you're crazy if you don't think that fairing was hawt! It might very well be heavy but it looks so much more interesting and fun to me with it on.
    Name:  10238734826_1ee7195826_b.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  301.8 KB
    I was referring to this pic in your profile;
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/attac...1&d=1476199748

I LOVED that vintage CB900f. I had the little '81 Honda Hawk 400 (twin) at the time - I lusted after the 900F so much!

My taste may change by the time I get the thing all fixed up and running right again - and true race bikes will always have a place in my heart!

Anyway, I am excited to working on a street bike again.

Oh yeah, that CB750 is the bike I've owned the longest! I still love the thing but I'm certainly not interested in having one like it again anytime soon. But it did get me interested in bikes again and holds a place. most modified and reliable bike I've ever had.
    The difference between it and my CB900F is amazing. Changing directions on the 750 you have to push the handle bar in advance, and push it hard. The 900 on the other hand is already going the direction you wanted it to before you even had the thought to execute the maneuver. Probably due to the wide bars and roundie rubber parts.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Except the part about bike nite, don't go to them, and not concerned if I am cool. Moved past that one 20 years ago.
    Ok, I like this guy.

Restore it.

But this is what I have and I got a great deal - besides it has a better motor than the mid 80's honda.

Sorry, you don't want me to 'hack it up', but you have a while to wait anyway. I am sure it will take me most of the winter to get everything mechanically sound. Until then, there is no 'hacking' or final decisions on what I will do with it.

(unless you are SO upset by the idea that you will pay me enough to just buy what I want!?)
    If I wasn't 2000 miles away you'd have received my profitable offer already. I believe that is a fairly rare bike and better restored and improved rather then turned into another "cafe racer" that will be worth nothing.

Pampadori's 900F is a great example of respecting the era of a motorcycle. Spencer would be pleased.Name:  spencer_19.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  89.5 KB

the problem with the early 80's onward "new design" stuff is that the frames are moving toward the later frames, so the undertank area is not conducive to the "cafe" look (or tank swap) as most know it. plus most of the tanks, like yours and the cb ones pampadori has, have the downsweep and lead into side panel section at the rear. i like a lot of the tails of the era. there's a honda 650 slightly cruiser thing someone here has with 4 pipes that looks great as is.

maybe you could start "nouvo cafe", use 80's square headlights and slimmed down/lowered tail sections and seats. slot yourself in neatly between cafe and streetfighter.
    khungerf likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links