'84 Gpz550 build - Page 4
Close

'84 Gpz550 build

This is a discussion on '84 Gpz550 build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by brad black it didn't do anywhere near as much in the last position as it did in the first. first was amazing, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: '84 Gpz550 build

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    it didn't do anywhere near as much in the last position as it did in the first. first was amazing, last was still fairly rusty. tank was very rusty.
    I think the surface rust was just easier to remove than the subsequent layers below, not that the solution was weaker.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    it didn't do anywhere near as much in the last position as it did in the first. first was amazing, last was still fairly rusty. tank was very rusty.
    I remember having a 20 litre container of some rust removal stuff in the shop that the boss got from some local chemical place. It had the same claim to be able to be re-used but like brad said, it was great for the first tank but not so good for the following ones.

No idea what the stuff was called, though....

Muratic, rinse with phosphoric, fill with fuel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

How important to remove ALL the old Kareem from the tank? Can I put por-15 on top of the remnants?

Quote Originally Posted by khungerf View Post
    How important to remove ALL the old Kareem from the tank? Can I put por-15 on top of the remnants?
    If the old liner is peeling and you put POR over it it will continue to peel and waste the new liner. With the exception of Caswell's tank liner just about all the liners want a surgically clean surface in order to properly adhere to the substrate. If your old liner is crap what ever you put over it will be crap.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    If the old liner is peeling and you put POR over it it will continue to peel and waste the new liner. With the exception of Caswell's tank liner just about all the liners want a surgically clean surface in order to properly adhere to the substrate. If your old liner is crap what ever you put over it will be crap.
    That is what i guess. Dang, that stuff is hard to remove. I used acetone and it got most of it out, but there are some spots clinging on pretty good.

been a few weeks... and making slow progress, but progress either way.
    finally managed to get all the old tank coating out. It took several acetone treatments and a 2 quick muratic acid flushes! right now I have some more evapo-rust in the tank to make sure I have all the rust out and to keep it from developing.

Question;
    Do I have to flush out all the evapo-rust before I put por-15 in? or can I just let it dry and put the por-15 in?

been ordering a few things (clip ons, new master, clutch mounting, ...) I will post pics as soon as it looks any different.

Quote Originally Posted by khungerf View Post

Question;
    Do I have to flush out all the evapo-rust before I put por-15 in? or can I just let it dry and put the por-15 in?

It should tell you on the EvapoRust container if you need to rinse it off or if you can paint straight over it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links