'84 Gpz550 build
Close

'84 Gpz550 build

This is a discussion on '84 Gpz550 build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Did the intro thread (got a little flak for not wanting to restore to stock - I only cried a little) here it is after ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: '84 Gpz550 build

'84 Gpz550 build

Did the intro thread
    (got a little flak for not wanting to restore to stock - I only cried a little)

here it is after I brought it home
    Name:  IMG_20161015_101508638.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  3.52 MB

Not bad for $300 and case of bacon!

front master is seized, TERRIBLE tank cote job (chunks all over), How about that seat? , several custom wiring 'mods'
    not bad really.

just stripped down it already looks better;
    Name:  IMG_20161016_152124926.jpg
Views: 3133
Size:  3.38 MB

managed to pull the tank and get it running (but not well). That is my son taking for a first ride. please don't miss the duct taped plastic tank!;
    Name:  IMG_20161020_141051550.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  4.00 MB

already made my first mistake!
    Trying to clean the tank out I used muratic acid. It worked great but... I left the petcock in place. The metal screen melted off and the plastic is not in good shape anymore.
    not a big deal - I can use an in-line filter - but I would like to replace that plastic piece somehow to retain the reserve tank function.

Other than that, it is running is very rough below 5k rpm and it will not idle unless the choke is on. I assume the carbs are pretty messy. I assumed I would have to clean them anyway.

I don't have a solid long term plan - but leaning towards a full cafe build. However, #1 priority is get it running great and replace that front master. Check compression, ....

Since it sounds great once the throttle is opened up am pretty hopeful it is just dirty carbs/clogged jets.

I would like some advice on cleaning out the old tank cote and re-coating it. I have some POR-15 coming but how do I clean out the rust and flush the cleaner and not let it rust before I put the new coating in?

Looking forward to keeping this thread updated and all the fantastic advice I will be getting from this forum : )

-Lee
    pwalo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by khungerf View Post
    already made my first mistake!

Other than that, it is running is very rough below 5k rpm and it will not idle unless the choke is on. I assume the carbs are pretty messy. I assumed I would have to clean them anyway.
    Cleaning the carbs should be mandatory for any bike that you can't ride home after purchasing it. Even then, its not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by khungerf View Post
    I don't have a solid long term plan - but leaning towards a full cafe build.
    That bike doesn't want to be part in a build. It rolls its eyes when it hears people talk about "bike builds". Rebuild, is more what it wants. Get it running, refurbish the seat, upgrade some components like the brakes, bars, pegs and controls, maybe the pipe. Then enjoy the best bike in the block!
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Please tell me that fairing is going back on because it makes that thing look tough as nails! DO NOT toss that fairing aside, you'll kick yourself later when your tastes matures from cafe bike hacks to real performance bikes from the 80's.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Man,look, I get it, you want to build something. But you're not really building anything, it's already done.
    What you are doing is going after some hip, cool, style thing that won't make the bike any better.
    Okay, leave the fairing off if you want to but don't alter the bike frame just so you can put some trendy uncomfortable cafe seat on it.
    The reason "cafe racers" got started is because back in the day all there was to choose from was standard motorcycles, for the most part.
    Guys stripped them down and improved the performance so they could RACE them!!!!
    The bike you have is better in stock form than most anything those old guys were riding.
    Get it properly tuned, put some suspension upgrades and good tires on it, repaint it and everyone at bike nite will be checking it out.
    You'll be cool and have alot of money left in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
    Please tell me that fairing is going back on because it makes that thing look tough as nails! DO NOT toss that fairing aside, you'll kick yourself later when your tastes matures from cafe bike hacks to real performance bikes from the 80's.
    So, I have to ask- is the CB750 in your profile before or after your taste matured?

And that lower heavy price of fiberglass on the gpz was ugly when it came out, and ugly now.

Quote Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
    Man,look, I get it, you want to build something. But you're not really building anything, it's already done.
    What you are doing is going after some hip, cool, style thing that won't make the bike any better.
    Actually, just trying to get a bike that performs well and looks good, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
    Get it properly tuned, put some suspension upgrades and good tires on it, repaint it and everyone at bike nite will be checking it out.
    You'll be cool and have alot of money left in your wallet.
    That is absolutely phase 1, then decide what else to do.
    Except the part about bike nite, don't go to them, and not concerned if I am cool. Moved past that one 20 years ago.

It's a shame to think such a good restoration/upgrade project will end up as another hacked up, worthless, Pileocrap.

This looks like it would be fun to ride, looks ok too...

Name:  Kawasaki GPZ 1100 RCM-248 by Sanctuary Tokyo West 04.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  75.6 KB
    Last edited by ajordan; 10-21-2016 at 02:08 PM.

you guys are full of encouragement, this should be fun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links