'78 Gl1000 Buffet Racer - Page 33
Close

'78 Gl1000 Buffet Racer

This is a discussion on '78 Gl1000 Buffet Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by propav8r Well, we're back on the road with a few improvements... I installed Randakk's oil filter adapter last night. This was a ...

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: '78 Gl1000 Buffet Racer

Quote Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
    Well, we're back on the road with a few improvements...

I installed Randakk's oil filter adapter last night. This was a godsend, since the threads in my front cover were pretty gnarly from a hamfisted PO. Every time I put the filter housing back on, I was worried about stripping threads, and a couple times, I saw threads come out with the bolt when I was changing the oil. With the filter adapter, I never have to worry about stripping the threads again, and oil changes are much quicker and cleaner.

Did the Randakk's folks say anything about using a filter with an anti drain back valve? If not.... if your bike sits for a while and the oil light takes longer to go out when you go to start it, then I would suggest a different filter. Might take some digging to find out which filters have a good quality valve that works properly on it's side. If you go to the bother to find one, buy it from a known good trusted source. There are lots of knock offs floating around out there and externally they are hard to tell apart from the legit ones. The knock offs are shit.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Did the Randakk's folks say anything about using a filter with an anti drain back valve? If not.... if your bike sits for a while and the oil light takes longer to go out when you go to start it, then I would suggest a different filter. Might take some digging to find out which filters have a good quality valve that works properly on it's side. If you go to the bother to find one, buy it from a known good trusted source. There are lots of knock offs floating around out there and externally they are hard to tell apart from the legit ones. The knock offs are shit.
    Yeah, the factory style canister doesn't have a drainback valve, and I noticed that it would take 3-5 seconds on some cold starts for the oil pressure light to go out. This Mobil filter does have a valve, you can see it in the filter. The oil pressure is much quicker to come up now.

Yeah, the factory style canister doesn't have a drainback valve, and I noticed that it would take 3-5 seconds on some cold starts for the oil pressure light to go out. This Mobil filter does have a valve, you can see it in the filter. The oil pressure is much quicker to come up now.
    You obviously have it handled.
    I just have this thing about oil pressure on start up. Stock they weren't too bad, but a larger filter without the valve just prolongs things.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Bored at work and figured I'd check back in over here.

Still have the GL1000, still running strong. I've put almost 30k trouble-free miles on it since I built it, and it is starting to show it's age a bit. Starting to weep a little oil in some places, and just not look as cosmetically nice as it once did. I also beat the shit out of it every chance I get, so that's certainly not helping lol.

I did win the Photo of the Week up at the gap riding the Wing a few weeks back, that was kinda cool.

Name:  jhnFhZH.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  158.8 KB

Recently picked up a very nice survivor KZ1300 as well. Been busy getting that back on the road and running again.

Still not sure what I'll do with the Wing long-term. I did pick up a good condition low-mileage motor that I may swap in at some point, but it's not like I'm having serious issues out of the motor that's in there now or anything.

Dug through the archives and put together this little exhaust compilation a few weeks back...

knappyfeet likes this.

Still not sure what I'll do with the Wing long-term.
    It's nice your enjoying it and I would call 30K in mileage long term!

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    It's nice your enjoying it and I would call 30K in mileage long term!
    Heh, I don't tend to keep vehicles more than a year or two, so the fact that this has stuck around is surprising.

I did see this posted in a GL group a few days ago. I've always thought the 6 cylinders were cool. This looks like it's been shoehorned into a 1000 or 1100 frame. Definitely an early final drive. It's got a good helping of hipster farkles, but the general idea holds water. Maybe I'll attempt something like this on another frame. These things are plentiful and cheap.

Name:  dzmgkUy.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  312.8 KB

That could be supercool if they went with an 80s superbike/endurance racer look... or even some sort of street drag racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Sponsored Links