1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport Restoration
Close

This is a discussion on 1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport Restoration within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Good morning guys! I am not a stranger to forums but this is my first post on CafeRacer.net. I'm a big Volvo car guy and ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport Restoration

Good morning guys! I am not a stranger to forums but this is my first post on CafeRacer.net. I'm a big Volvo car guy and a mechanical engineer by profession, so in slowing down some of my car interests I decided to look for a bike as it's not something I'm familiar with and I needed something to tinker with. I've been meaning to get back onto a bike, and I think I've finally found the perfect one to begin a long and hopefully good relationship with.

Enter my 1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport that I picked up for $1,000.

After a bit of commenting back and forth in another thread (and in the interest of not thread jacking someone else's build page), I decided to start my own topic on my bike. As you can tell, the bike has had an aftermarket paint job. It's forest green that transitions to purple depending on the light and angle. I really like the look of it as it is, but am also interested in potentially restoring it to it's original beauty of the sport racing bike it's always been. Something like this:

Anyways, upon checking out the bike in Upstate New York at 19F degrees, we got the bike started with a jump in no time at all. The bike ran on 3 cylinders and the owner was sure that it was just a frozen plug, as one month prior when the weather was nicer, he was daily driving the bike with zero issues. I felt comfortable with it as just about everything checks out. I figured I'll toss a set of new plugs in it with some fresh gas when it comes time to start it for the season and hope it picks up right where it apparently left off. Oh, the bike has 40k miles on it and I bought it for $1,000.

Considering small upgrades, I don't necessarily want to Cafe it, but rather just build a nicer handling version of itself. Tighten everything up, maybe some upgraded suspension components, some more sport friendly handlebars, and then just drive it for a while. Thoughts?
    DohcBikes likes this.

Very nice bike, and a good deal at $1,000.

It probably needs the carbs cleaned, then use Sta-Bil and non-ehtanol gas if/when possible. Always turn off the petcock before you get home, and let it run out of gas before you park it.

I really dig the black & accented reference paint job bike...
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

My thoughts are I wonder if the guy that owns that 1100f realizes the forks are bent

Any how

One thing at a time.

Never believe anything a previous owner says.

Nothing wrong with buying new plugs, but be prepared to get comfortable with those carbs cuz they will have to come off because they are dirty. You need to check the jetting to be sure the pipe doesn't make it lean as well.

I recommend stockpiling parts when money allows

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grandpaul View Post
    Very nice bike, and a good deal at $1,000.

It probably needs the carbs cleaned, then use Sta-Bil and non-ehtanol gas if/when possible. Always turn off the petcock before you get home, and let it run out of gas before you park it.

I really dig the black & accented reference paint job bike...
    Awesome tips, TIY. And yeah, if I had my choice I'd replicate that black bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DohcBikes View Post
    My thoughts are I wonder if the guy that owns that 1100f realizes the forks are bent

Any how

One thing at a time.

Never believe anything a previous owner says.

Nothing wrong with buying new plugs, but be prepared to get comfortable with those carbs cuz they will have to come off because they are dirty. You need to check the jetting to be sure the pipe doesn't make it lean as well.

I recommend stockpiling parts when money allows
    I guess I should probably head to YouTube to research cleaning and jetting of carbs because it's something I'm new to despite being mechanically inclined.

When clean.. Clean again.. Or just do a damn good job the first time in the carbs.. There's my experience.. Also looks like a damn good buy, welcome here, looks like everything's off to a good start here on this thread... Give it time

masterdebater
    were all turds in a toilet, someone clog that big hole

I like you already.

Given it will be my first time doing anything carb related, I may just clean them three times so I can get a feel for how everything works and where it all goes. By the time I'm done, I better have them clean and in the rear view mirror.
    Magster likes this.

I did mine 3 times blindly hoping that I didn't need rebuild kit.. But i did.. Do it right do it once

The less you screw with it the better, less chance of losing parts and more time spent on other things..
    masterdebater

In thinking about dropping the bars into a slightly more sporty location (without going so far as to install clip ons), I'm thinking about picking up a Renthal Ultra Low. In searching for bar options, I also came across the Biltwell Moto Bar. As I've been considering picking up a Biltwell Gringo for a helmet, I'm curious about these bars as well. Thoughts?

Biltwell Moto Bar 1" Handlebars - RevZilla

Renthal Street Handlebars 7/8" - RevZilla

Quote Originally Posted by Magster View Post
    I did mine 3 times blindly hoping that I didn't need rebuild kit.. But i did.. Do it right do it once

The less you screw with it the better, less chance of losing parts and more time spent on other things..
    masterdebater
    So likely just buy 4 rebuild kits and just go to town properly, once. Got it. I'll order a case of carb cleaner as well, might as well soak em out.
    Magster likes this.

Just so you you know I'm not a pro here, just another learner here as I'm working on a first build but its really more of a revival from the grave..

masterdebater

The biltwells are 1" for a harley, you don't want a crossbar anyway, they get in the way of the view of the gauges. The renthals are awesome and will weigh considerably less than your stock bars. Pounds less.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links