Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build! - Page 3
Close

Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!

This is a discussion on Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build! within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw I am having a GREAT deal of trouble with cognito moto with my drop triple tree and stem for my R75. ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I am having a GREAT deal of trouble with cognito moto with my drop triple tree and stem for my R75.
    Just saying...
    i lost any faith in cognitomoto when i saw the morons using a cotter to secure a triple to a stanchion tube
    i mean that is just plain dumb it wont hold at all like a clamping situation and using it on upsidown forks will dent the fucking tubes and right at the cap threads
    it just goes to show making simple pretty parts on your cnc means fuck all as far as being a designer of good working parts

Good to see another woodchuck on the forum.. Carry on
    deaconblues likes this.
    prohibitively expensive drunk

Wanted to post an update even though there hasn't been any progress that could show in a picture. Still waiting on parts from Lithuania to convert the rear wheel to 17" and some other odd and end like a steering damper. (going to use the same system the gsxr used)
    I finally got the reworked head swapped on to the engine. I was pretty sure the RFY shocks would still be just spring holders even after a rebuild and recharge, but for the money and time I'm a bit surprised at how adequate they perform. I had been thinking that the bike was overpowered without all the bodywork and weight removed from the rear of the bike it would feel a bit loose coming out of turns, especially left hand turns.
    After installing a hoop in the rear and a lot of testing and adjusting the forks and shocks I was almost ready to put a stock front end and shocks back on the bike. I put it back on the lift and saw the stamped steel brace on the swingarm has torn away right under the driveshaft and more the swingarm bushing on the same side is already oval trash. Name:  IMG_20170926_155851_733[1].jpg
Views: 140
Size:  256.6 KB

I can't get the camera in there right now to show the extent of the tear.
    I need to figure what has gone wrong. Are these two unrelated problems coincidentally located next to each other? Did one lead to the other? Is it something else I did that affected the swingarm? The bike was buried well over the swingarm in mud but looked intact when I changed the bushes initially. It's possible I damaged the bushing when installing it. At this point, since the bike now runs and rides and stops I think upgrading to needle bearings would be a good option. Problem is I don't have either the skills to determine if there is some tiny bend or kink to the frame that would be damaging the swingarm. I can tell the wheels, forks and neck tube are straight but that's as far as I can get right now as I'm between shop spaces. (long story involving my boss, booze and the police). I ordered a used swingarm to use once I give up trying to repair this one with my crappy flux core welder.
    I'm not sure about running a splash guard in the back or some fender and all the electrical is still homeless. I haven't even decided whether to use a keyed ignition switch or just a toggle. I'm pretty happy putting the battery between the rear motor mounts at a 45 degree angle. For some weird reason I don't like the idea of putting any more weight on the swingarm as I've seen people put batteries there. I also need to finish the bodywork on the seat cowl and then finish the upholstery which I am wholly unqualified to do.

Name:  PSONAmE.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  420.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Are the frame and swing arm straight? Looks like it's had a hit in its day. That's pretty much the only way that bracing could be damaged like that. Would explain the fubar'd bearing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    Are the frame and swing arm straight? Looks like it's had a hit in its day. That's pretty much the only way that bracing could be damaged like that. Would explain the fubar'd bearing as well.
    It very well may have been hit, as the stock front end was a miserable mess including bent fork legs. The frame is straight and that swingarm was intact when I changed the bushings out earlier this year. It didn't even have bearings but what seemed like plastic. I had the machinist at our shop turn some new ones out of some polyurethane ones that came from some older Vance and Hines race kit. The problem is that everything worked as it should* until a few spirited test rides. (DISCLAIMER Don't ride your half built project on the road! Our shop is located adjacent to a airport. I'm not riding bikes like this down the street)
    *I may be going overly critical on this 30 something year old bike with the modern front tire and forks, but the rear has never felt as planted as I would like. It rides great at the legal limits, it's when really pushed hard that it gets a bit dance happy.

Judging from your photo, that swing arm looks awfully rotten. Maybe all the rust perforation has something to do with it. I wouldn't ride that the way it is. You might also want to take a small hammer with a pointy end and tap around the lower part of the frame. If there are any spots on the frame that look like the swing arm, you might want to put the whole thing back where you found it.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Sorry but, you've built the kind of Bitsa that I just don't get. The front forks, wheel and brakes look way too beefy, the motor is massive and everything behind that quickly turns to shite.
    It's not weight that is tearing the marginal bits apart it's torsion.

... steering damper is great in concept but what are you going to attach it to that doesn't already flex and wiggle?
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 09-26-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    It's not weight that is tearing the marginal bits apart it's torsion.
    That's what I've been thinking the entire time too. After all It looks like Honda copied most of this spine frame from a Bonneville. The Hinckley ones? I'm not too sure. But I have kept the HP kind of close to stock and replaced a lot of the stock 22g gusseting for some much healthier stock as well as added some bracing where the top of the stock sub-frame appears to have been just laid on top of the rest of the bike. After looking at quite a few used swingarms to replace mine it looks like the 550 Honda ones were not built to the same standard as the 650 and 700 of the same era. They could interchange but the bigger cc bikes have taller final drive gears and are considerably longer. I'm going to replace mine with one in better shape until I can jig the original one and replace the stamped bracing with something a little stronger.

I'm going to attach the steering damper from the stock mount in the gsxr lower yolk to a beefed up version of the steering stop on the neck tube. I don't want to do that until the new shop is in order because all I have is a crap Lincoln flux core welder. It's fine for an exhaust repair on a 96 civic but not this.

2 things that will test your swingarm integrity real fast; on a chain drive bike having the chain too tight and on a shaft drive bike having a spline joint seized up.

oh make that 3; getting rear ended by a truck.

:| it's a cruiser frame so occasionally you need to remind yourself that Honda designed, spec'd and intended it for bopping down to Dairy Queen not for go fast.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 09-27-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    deaconblues likes this.

open your eyes ya dopes fer fucks sake dont go blaming the war on a soldier
    rust has eaten that swingarm.period
    lesson learned? you got it out of mud
    its junk nothing but scrap
    the frame is very likely similar condition unless it was bat acid that was focused on the area of the torn ujoint boot
    acid migrating then to the caverness interior lol
    but yeah check the frame any place where liquids could settle drill 3mm holes to check wall thickness of tubes and formed sealed gusset structures
    goddamit how could you not ........
    deaconblues likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links