Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build! - Page 4
Close

Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!

This is a discussion on Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build! within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; and yeah it looks stupid as all fuck out,i am embarassed for you great job of making a shit motorcycle out of a very good ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!

and yeah it looks stupid as all fuck out,i am embarassed for you
    great job of making a shit motorcycle out of a very good one ,like all the other sheep
    deaconblues likes this.

Could be right but in my experience rusty iron don't bend it breaks

Might have got rain in it then froze.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

rusty iron does indeed break, even when not rust it is fractile,butt-eye dyegrass
    zinc-steel even jap 3 shit 12 times recycled aluminum lead steel bends without breaking
    it is probably just "surface rust" (those 2 words together are a lie and a hoax) move along nothing to see here
    but srsly that is bat acid work somebody pulled off the vent tube drop and maybe years latr,used an automobile charger on the dead bat

The frame is in remarkable shape considering. The swingarm definitely had rust on the bottom side but not rot. It may seem like not much has happened by a string of pictures but I've had this thing apart to the last nut and bolt cleaning and inspecting it. I wouldn't have even mentioned the swingarm stuff here it was in shit shape to start with (like I need to add fuel to get this thing flamed here) It was in a passable condition, enough that I stuck my ass over it and gave it enough hell that it decided to actually rip... Fear not, a new one is on its way and I'm already searching out needle bearings to put in place of the "very good" plastic that was there originally.
    In all seriousness I appreciate the forum. The knowledge base is unequaled and the flaming is entertaining, and on some days motivating (My thread ends with an actual, running bike, with fenders. Not on page 2 with a stupid flat black half a POS bike that can't get out of it's way. Hell, most of the folks around here are gonna need a sporting liter to get by me)

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    and yeah it looks stupid as all fuck out,i am embarassed for you
    great job of making a shit motorcycle out of a very good one ,like all the other sheep
    This is your "very good"?
    Name:  ccRKcIw.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  329.4 KB
    And this is shit?
    Name:  WidrtM4.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  251.2 KB
    ARRGHHH!!! One of these days I'm gonna build a bike that everybody loves!!! You just wait and see!
    Then you'll be sorry you ever laughed at the time I built a weird ass bike out of a little wrecked piece of trash!!
    Long live the 80's UJM's!!!!

Edit; Your absofrickenlutely right. That damn battery vent is exactly above that spot. That's why most of the ones I've looked at are in worse shape than mine... Drips right down inside that boxed in part...
    Last edited by deaconblues; 09-27-2017 at 08:58 PM.

the right plastic bushing is far better in many ways to a drawn cup needle bearing and is an easier install
    just get new inner bushings oem for the plastic to rotate on or take a skim cut off the originals in the lathe
    go to igus.com
    there iglide bushings are amazing better than that yellow crap(bronze) better than any rolling element bearing in this type of application no lubing required but old habits do die hard i put my last ones in and greased them for assembly.
    they come in lots of metric and inch sizes i found direct replacwement for my sl350 flange type
    the only issue i found was the honda swinger bushing bores gave about .010'' interference fit
    stoned as a rat i plodded on and beat them into the swinger bores
    only after slamming all 4 home did i go oh shit those bushings are now bell mouthed because the flange ends are not crushedv
    i realized creful measuring and spud turning the od of the iglide was in order with just about a slip fit
    i asked the engineers about bonding the iglide in a less than interference fit
    yes loctite 400 series is the go to
    superglue
    the astounding thing is this shit is tougher than metal
    when i realized they needed sizing and would need to be driven out i thought fuck they will get totally fucked up
    i was pissed off and did not feel like fabbing a simple tool to drive them out they were too tight anyway they surely will get destroyed coming out
    i picked up a 1/2'' round steel bar ugly on both ends and dam near threw out my elbow by the time all 4 were beaten out and none of them showed any witness to the savagery
    so yeah the needle bearings are passay old news totally outdated
    the best part is igus will sell you even small pidly orders and register with them chat up the engineers on live chat and your first order can be free as in a samples
    i paid 4 dollars each
    but have gotten free bushings on another project
    deaconblues likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    the right plastic bushing is far better in many ways to a drawn cup needle bearing and is an easier install
    just get new inner bushings oem for the plastic to rotate on or take a skim cut off the originals in the lathe
    go to igus.com
    there iglide bushings are amazing better than that yellow crap(bronze) better than any rolling element bearing in this type of application no lubing required but old habits do die hard i put my last ones in and greased them for assembly.
    they come in lots of metric and inch sizes i found direct replacwement for my sl350 flange type
    the only issue i found was the honda swinger bushing bores gave about .010'' interference fit
    stoned as a rat i plodded on and beat them into the swinger bores
    only after slamming all 4 home did i go oh shit those bushings are now bell mouthed because the flange ends are not crushedv
    i realized creful measuring and spud turning the od of the iglide was in order with just about a slip fit
    i asked the engineers about bonding the iglide in a less than interference fit
    yes loctite 400 series is the go to
    superglue
    the astounding thing is this shit is tougher than metal
    when i realized they needed sizing and would need to be driven out i thought fuck they will get totally fucked up
    i was pissed off and did not feel like fabbing a simple tool to drive them out they were too tight anyway they surely will get destroyed coming out
    i picked up a 1/2'' round steel bar ugly on both ends and dam near threw out my elbow by the time all 4 were beaten out and none of them showed any witness to the savagery
    so yeah the needle bearings are passay old news totally outdated
    the best part is igus will sell you even small pidly orders and register with them chat up the engineers on live chat and your first order can be free as in a samples
    i paid 4 dollars each
    but have gotten free bushings on another project
    These look very promising! That Q2 model seems just the ticket but no prices listed, there are however a few of these J sleeve bearings they don't have the same endurance but they are vibration dampening, same reason they used plastic to start with right? These are definitely getting a try, even if they don't have an exact size I can put them in the lathe or Bridgeport you say?

Wow, that website is fantastic. It even has a service life calculator. What a tip! Even my Arduino projects are gonna benefit. Big ups to XB.

... and another motorcyclist discovers elastomeric bearing plastics
    Personally I use Thordon myself Thordon Bearings

any sharp tools that work on wood will generally work on the plastics.
    Is best to make your bore holes undersized and then ream or machine them to an accurate size rather then turning a bushing and compressing it into a tight sleeve fit where the material will compress and distort from the desired bore size.

Used in swingarm bushings the plastic will have some advantages but a needle roller bearing is still the best performing swingarm pivot bearing available, rollers have the advantage of negligible friction and free-play clearance approaches zero. You don't want any free-play or bushing flex in your swingarm pivot or your bikes handling goes for a shit.

WTH. Why is a company like Vance and Hines still using polypropylene and delrin??? The stuff I used came directly out of their race package for the XR1200. Granted the structural integrity was compromised by some machining. For the price of one set of V&H motor mounts I can get 5ft of bar stock and never need to buy another swingarm bushing again.
    This. This is why I don't waste time at DTT or bikeexit or whathaveyou. (No offense to those) But if I can't be at the track talking with those guys every weekend this serves a good placebo to the LRRS guys.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links