Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!
Close

This is a discussion on Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build! within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi all! I'm tired of my Virago. I'm tired of getting the biker wave from Harley guys. I'm over feeling foolish leaning a cruiser with ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another UJM cruiser into something it's not build!

Hi all! I'm tired of my Virago. I'm tired of getting the biker wave from Harley guys. I'm over feeling foolish leaning a cruiser with mid controls and ape bars into a turn at 90.
    So. I "bought" another cruiser, because I'm a real genius like that. There are aspects of today's man bun wearing cafe bikes that I like which will serve as inspiration for this build.
    Let's introduce to you the victim after I pulled it out of it's muddy grave. Name:  ccRKcIwl.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  79.1 KB
    Name:  URoI9L0l.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  82.1 KB.

That firewood looks nice. Good and weathered. Should burn nicely

Quote Originally Posted by scramblermike View Post
    That firewood looks nice. Good and weathered. Should burn nicely
    I probably should have bartered for that instead of the Nighthawk. Instead I traded painting and tuning his RC truck then dragged the flatelining wretch out of there to my buddies shop.
    While I wanted to keep the spongebob-duct tape, threaded rod, turn signal stalk, I started to peel back some of the layers of abuse from the maniacal previous owners of this poor little bike.
    Turns out it was in much worse shape than first impressions gave.
    Back to front:
    Shocks, just springs.
    Wheels, are true.
    Rear body work, hacked apart for an attempt at some sort of disco lighting theme and then mended with pop rivets and that pipe hanger stuff with all the holes in it.
    Seat, foam is good but Hannibal Lecter must have supplied the cover.
    Airbox, modified with a 32oz Estwing.
    Wiring, ugh. Now I know how people who know nothing of a bikes electrical system feel when they look at a wiring harness. The only wires that are un-molested are the two battery cables.
    Carburetors, "just need to be cleaned" apparently.
    Engine, 9000 miles on the gauge but for some reason the crankcase seems to be a vessel for holding Marvel mystery oil. Has Compression!
    Gas tank, Rusty, gummy and denty.
    Controls, garbage. Same with the neck bearings, stanchions, fork seals and wheel bearings.
    Not bad, right? So first things first was to sort some of the wiring to make some spark. Drain the gunk and replace. Filters, plugs.
    Soak, strip, scrub and rebuild the carb bank.
    Name:  ZoCr1drl.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  CREzlvcl.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  K2GPBcQl.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  71.3 KB
    Name:  qrQWeRpl.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  62.9 KB
    Now that it starts and idles I'll start procuring parts and getting deeper into it cleaning and rebuilding what I can, replacing what I cant.
    My hope is to bring this back to life and get it as near to 90hp and and 45-50 ft-lbs torque. I think it can get close to those numbers judging by the stock specs for this model. hoping to reach that with just headwork and tuning. I want to keep the stock internals and the compression at a reasonable level as I plan on actually riding this heap at some point.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

1100 eh ? xseleven but the cruiser style
    it could be a fun bike but you are doing it wrong it appears cause its long and real heavy you wont be able to muscle it through curvy roads sitting down in it and reaching to that broom handle
    it needs a standard xs type gas tank so a proper seat that will get you up on top of it wont look weird
    top it off with some 4'' rise flat track/superbike type bars
    you need to be up on it sitting proud and high to flick it into turns .....well flick may be optomistic
    but right now looks like something for drag racing maybe thats your plan if so NEVERMIND

Dude, that's a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    1100 eh ? xseleven but the cruiser style
    it could be a fun bike but you are doing it wrong it appears cause its long and real heavy you wont be able to muscle it through curvy roads sitting down in it and reaching to that broom handle
    it needs a standard xs type gas tank so a proper seat that will get you up on top of it wont look weird
    top it off with some 4'' rise flat track/superbike type bars
    you need to be up on it sitting proud and high to flick it into turns .....well flick may be optomistic
    but right now looks like something for drag racing maybe thats your plan if so NEVERMIND
    Sorry for the confusion, the bars (piece of conduit) and pods and crap are just to wheel it onto the lift and see if it would fire up. We smashed in the knee dents and added Emgo's just to call it a "cafe racer". It's being built in a zero metric tolerance shop so something had to lighten the mood. I already have a couple tanks for it a 1980ish cm450 tank (may be to wide for the front end I'm going with)
    and a 1973 cb350 tank in candy gold and black.
    I'm actually rebuilding a set of forks and some cheap rear shocks that will show more the direction I'm going with it.
    It's a 1983 Nighthawk CB550sc But the shop is split between "the Chickenhawk 550" and the "Honda Nightmare"
    Once I get the all the fluids changed out and the clutch slave cylinder rebuilt we'll get a baseline on the engine.
    It will be nice to hear something other than a v-twin in here:
    Name:  8O6SjWk.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  202.3 KB

Rebuilding those cheap RFY shocks is a little more involved than I anticipated. I did manage to track down enough information to help me at least not make them any more dangerous. I replaced the unknown oil with Motul synthetic 2.5 wt. That's just a guesstimate but I sure hope it's viscous enough cuz these are a pain. I didn't turn them into bleeder shocks, I used the same method I use on my 1/8 scale buggy shocks to bleed them. They are now nice and smooth. That notchy feeling they had is gone. They feel a tad oversprung for this bike but I wont know for sure until the shakedown ride.
    If the rest of the bike turns out fine and these are letting it down I'll consider putting actual dollars into the rear shocks.
    Name:  R3BLdl8.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  879.7 KB
    Name:  6L6fk94.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  750.0 KB
    I prefer the 73' 350 tank.
    Name:  4OkxXpK.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  834.1 KB
    The stock forks are a poorly executed good idea with their air adjust. The leading axle, ugh.
    I don't know if you can tell from the pics, but this bike was ridden into something head-on.
    Name:  ZY1JN6N.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  845.8 KB
    I personally like the look of USD forks and I'm willing to put up with the inevitable bro's in their mma affliction shirts trying to strike up some blah blah.
    I found someone with far better math skills than I to direct me as far as trail, rake and offset. I actually got lucky and was able to use a lower yoke/triple from a k3 gsxr 600. Cut a stem on the lathe and upgraded the neck bearings.
    Name:  685pkV7.jpg
Size:  3.76 MB
    As sure as Axe body spray smells like date rape, a 19" wheel will cause mucho clearance issues. Not really an issue as I will be changing front and rear to 17".
    I like the look of spokes but since this is my bike and I'm the one what has to maintain it, it will have tubeless alloys. 03' GSXR front and a Honda Deauville NT650 rear. Neither of which I currently have.
    Name:  685pkV7.jpg
Size:  3.76 MB
    Name:  uZadHVi.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  482.1 KB
    No way I was going to attempt to make the top yoke on the Bridgeport. So I called a certain VA based custom shop and got this beautifully machined top and stem nut.
    Name:  1YumP8b.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  3.09 MB
    Name:  tAKD2H7.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  2.56 MB
    Name:  vgYn5Pw.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  2.26 MB
    Next up will be some bodywork and figuring the rearsets.
    Last edited by deaconblues; 09-04-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Good call on keeping a 17" front wheel - from the pics it looks like the spoked wheel might hit your headers under braking.

looks like the 17 might be a problem too, maybe just the photo angle. undo the fork caps and let it drop.

you could get a 16 from a blade or hornet.

let me see if I got this straight:

- Harley dude complains about how cruiser rides, so buys another crusier
    - makes changes that are basically only cosmetic and don't actually address previous complaints (you are going to get the wave from HD dudes anyway, I do all the time on the ducati, get over it).
    - throws parts at it without fully understanding the effect of geometry on the chassis

yup....all seems smart. carry on.
    s10hornet, deaconblues and drgonzo like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links