So a '72 H2 falls into my lap...
Close

This is a discussion on So a '72 H2 falls into my lap... within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; To make a long story short, I had known for awhile there was an H2 floating around my town. I thought it would be cool ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: So a '72 H2 falls into my lap...

To make a long story short, I had known for awhile there was an H2 floating around my town. I thought it would be cool to see, but I never imagined I'd own it.

About a month ago, I was put on touch with a local guy who does paint work on the side. I spent some time talking with him and agreed he would paint my '85 K100.

After not hearing from him for a week or so, I found out through the small town grapevine that he had been arrested on charges of possession of heroin and paraphernalia. Yeah.

I cautiously messaged him to get my BMW parts back, and he asked

Well that was easy.

I was more than a little apprehensive about the transaction. More than anything, I didn't want my money to enable him to get into any more trouble.

I was somewhat relieved when he told me to meet him at his dad's used car lot.

I showed up, glanced at the bike, and did the paperwork. His dad did the transaction, notarized the title, and kept the money.

Exactly $518 later (including the trailer rental), I rolled it into my garage.

Name:  oG5xMwGh.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  150.6 KB

The bike is probably 80-90% accounted for. The only major piece I'm missing is the exhaust.

I figured something good was going to happen when I got this fortune cookie

I wasn't really counting on another bike right now, and this is certainly going to be a learning curve. Should be a fun one though.
    BigAl8295 and Geeto67 like this.

All bikes need a cool build story... that is certainly one!! Good luck!
    2017 Ducati 959 Panigale
    2004 Kawasaki ZX6R (636) Track Bike
    1977 Yamaha XS750
    1976 Honda CB400f Super Sport

Nice score!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Great deal!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Too cool. Good for you!
    I like my shocks like I like my carryout. Cheap and Chinese.

Good score. Saw this the other day, don't know if you have one. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ationFlag=true

nice! What are your plans?

Looking at the first pic, I'm thinking weren't the first or 2nd gen Yamaha TZ GP bikes 3 cyl 700 or 750cc? It all evolved from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bignick View Post
    nice! What are your plans?

Looking at the first pic, I'm thinking weren't the first or 2nd gen Yamaha TZ GP bikes 3 cyl 700 or 750cc? It all evolved from here.
    I'm thinking it's going to go back mostly stock. I might thow on some OG upgrades, better pipes (since that's the only thing I'm really missing) etc, but it won't wind up chopped. Too valuable for that.

Alternatively, I might wind up styling it as a period race bike. I don't know yet. I need to get the K100 off the lift table first. I'm open to suggestions.

Good Score! I think I may have some exhaust for an H2 kicking around, but you really want new chambers if you can get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bignick View Post

The TZ700 and TZ750 were 4cy 2 stroke race bikes made from 1974 to 1979. The 700 was only built in 74 (213 units) and was basically two TZ350 engines fused together.

Kawasaki's own production racer was the (loosely) H2 based H2R. This eventually evolved into the KR750, most famously raced by Yvonne Duhammel.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
    I'm thinking it's going to go back mostly stock. I might thow on some OG upgrades, better pipes (since that's the only thing I'm really missing) etc, but it won't wind up chopped. Too valuable for that.

Alternatively, I might wind up styling it as a period race bike. I don't know yet. I need to get the K100 off the lift table first. I'm open to suggestions.
    Airtech makes a bolt on H2R/KR750 styled set of bodywork:

Kawasaki H1, H2 1969-75, triple, fairing, fairings, tail, seat, front fender, rear hugger, upper, lower, bellypan, fuel tank, undertail, air box, air ducts, Ninja, EX 250, 500, ZX 600, ZX6, ZX7R, ZX9, ZX9R, ZX10, ZX11, ZX12, KZ 400, 550, 650, 750, 90

Name:  h1_ubt.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  23.0 KB

you don't have to cut anything and it looks the part. Do that.

Also upgrade the brakes. There are plans to make ex500 calipers fit the stock forks floating around (you have to use a first year 5.5mm kz650 brake rotor)
    Gwil and Stephen J like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links