Rattle-can Racer - Page 2
Close

Rattle-can Racer

This is a discussion on Rattle-can Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have to admit that I don't think much about self generating v/s battery powered. Like you mention, the lithium batteries are an option. I'm ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have to admit that I don't think much about self generating v/s battery powered. Like you mention, the lithium batteries are an option. I'm still surprised at some of them.. like the ones in my son's drone for instance. I can't believe the flying time he gets. For me, I just didn't want to search for a suitable mag and pay a ransom to get it so it has a fat spark. People that can do them properly are hard to find. The system I use draws 34 milliamp and the coil draws approximately 4 amps when on (time of saturation).
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I have to admit that I don't think much about self generating v/s battery powered. Like you mention, the lithium batteries are an option. I'm still surprised at some of them.. like the ones in my son's drone for instance. I can't believe the flying time he gets. For me, I just didn't want to search for a suitable mag and pay a ransom to get it so it has a fat spark. People that can do them properly are hard to find. The system I use draws 34 milliamp and the coil draws approximately 4 amps when on (time of saturation).
    Some draw a lot of power and that's something to be aware of. I am lucky that when we had a couple of TZ's I made a point of collecting race ignitions whenever I found them for the right price, so I have a few that I should let go now we sold those bikes.

Of course it's not surprising that a modern ignition has a whole lot more functionality than something fitted in 1972.

For some singles and 360 degree twins it should be easy enough to modify something like a pit bike electronic ignition with self generating magneto. That's beyond my eager abilities, but can't be so hard to do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPXbsWEs5IA

10$ electronic ignition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Measured the squish clearance today using some modelling clay. In the neighbourhood of 1.7mm on each side. Also measured the head volume for the compression ratio, 11cc fits into the combustion area with a piston tight against the squish band. If i’m aiming for 1mm clearance that gives me a head volume of 14.96 and a compression ratio of 17.9:1

Found out the origins of the heads.
    Bain Machine, a shop in the Brampton ontario area used a set of standard heads to make a mold, cast blanks and machined the combustion chamber.

In the above photo the top head is standard, the middle head is the cast squish head, and the bottom is the one used as a plug.
    You can see the raised area around the spark plug on the squish head that corresponds to the white plastic in the plug head.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    that number CR all depends on timing/ when the exhaust port opens. usually around 60% of stroke ( 64mm?). and if the exhaust port been raised ? most 2 strokes end up being around 7-1.
    The port was definitely raised.
    The top is 36mm down from the top of cylinders, deck height is close to zero, maybe -0.5mm

What you are referring to is the corrected compression ratio.
    But if the pressure in the exhaust port is at say 5psi the piston is rising, does it still make sense to ignore that portion of the stroke?

If we do that, why is this called a t500?
    Should be more like a t285 with current porting, and a t317 in stock form...

Just gonna make sure to get some good race fuel for the first run ins, be on the safe side.
    Not sure how i’ll tighten up that squish yet, probably have to remove a bit from the top of the cylinders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links