Sweet CL360 going Brat,scrambler, battle axe thingy
Close

This is a discussion on Sweet CL360 going Brat,scrambler, battle axe thingy within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Since I was 15 I have always had a fascination with vintage bikes. I have always had a nagging thought in the back of my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sweet CL360 going Brat,scrambler, battle axe thingy

Since I was 15 I have always had a fascination with vintage bikes. I have always had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that I wanted to restore an old ride. I am not very mechanically inclined and definitely would be considered a noob on. I came across a 1975 Honda cb360 and I decided to take a leap of faith for $700. The bike is actually in really good shape with 15000 miles and good chrome. The PO parked it fifteen years ago and drained the carbs and tank. The first thing is to tear it down and throw all the good shit out, I already bought a harbor freight grinder and cutting wheels

I have a design drawn out in my head. I have already chopped down the rear end of the frame as well as the rear seat brace,shock mounts and cut all the tabs off. A friend of mine is welding in a new seat hoop and stability bracket (I am not welding inclined). While waiting for the frame I decided to tear into the carbs. They are actually fairly clean. The diaphragms are both intact and their is only a slight hint of any gummage. I do have one question....I have removed the jets and the idle needle and spring, however I am unable to get the Main snozzle out. There is no place to screw the snozzle from? Is it press fit into the carb or does it need to be tapped out? Any advice would be great. As for cleaning the carbs, I intend on doing the lemon juice with a hint of garlic boil. 6 to 1 ratio with water seems to be the most common way of doing it. I have read that the best way is to immediately put it into a hot water bath followed by a spray down of WD-40 and drink the juice. Once again, please correct me if I am wrong.

This will be a major undertaking for me. I am really new to most wrenching and small engines. I ask that you bear with me and give me all of your patience. One thing at a time, slow and steady. I am going to enjoy this project and learn everything I can along the way. I like to look at in a way of my growth as a man. I know that may sound cheesy, but I feel that this is a coming of age tale for myself. I want to test myself. To start something and see it all the way through to the end.Name:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  363.9 KBName:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  359.4 KB
    Last edited by Jruff5585; 03-02-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Someone has way to much time on their hands.
    Try a teaspoon of Madras curry powder with the lemon juice...Works a treat.
    Btw think the bikes a CL.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Someone has way to much time on their hands.
    Try a teaspoon of Madras curry powder with the lemon juice...Works a treat.
    Btw think the bikes a CL.
    Wish I had time. It's a CL in the title, borrowed most of the text from some hipster. I thought it was fitting, I was second caller on the bike the old man said there was a fellow already coming for the bike in the morning he wanted the bike for the Hand Built bike show. Well after a little talking and an extra 100 bucks he kicked the hipster to the curb and I picked the bike up that night. Thought I do a post on getting the old girl up and going, so newbies can see how easy it is

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

you blew it you should have gortten it running and completely road worth and ;put some miles on it
    learn yourself to tune it
    and determine the condition of the engine and electrics ,get to know the machine
    in detail
    right now what you have marriedyourself to is a 60 year old coke whore,still in full gank for the booger sugar,and unpredictable as a drunk squaw
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 03-02-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    you blew it you should have gortten it running and completely road worth and ;put some miles on it
    learn yourself to tune it
    and determine the condition of the engine and electrics ,get to know the machine
    in detail
    right now what you have marriedyourself to is a 60 year old coke whore,still in full gank for the booger sugar,and unpredictable as a drunk squaw
    Ken I think you missed something

Well, brought the bike home a week ago, the first thing put in a battery out of another bike the lights came on and everything else but it won't turn over, the solenoid Is clicking so first thing off the bat we need a starter solenoid. Next check spark, with a screwdriver in the spark plug cap, nothing, check power at the coil it's good to go. Pull the points cover we have power, spin the motor one set of points are frozen shut one set has some corrosion, hit them with a points file set the gap, put some grease on the pad hit it with some starter fluid bang she fires right up, keep shooting gas in the carbs no smoke sounds good. I find two cracks in the rear hoop where it bolts to the frame with a shit repair on both sides and some rust holes on the ends of the mufflersName:  IMG_3454.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  1.43 MBName:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  8.5 KB so I make a list. Tubes, tires, chain what the hell two new sprockets, seat latch, right side cover, fork seals, dust covers and since there's a dent in the tank and I need another side cover let's get some candy orange paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jruff5585 View Post
    Wish I had time. It's a CL in the title, borrowed most of the text from some hipster. I thought it was fitting, I was second caller on the bike the old man said there was a fellow already coming for the bike in the morning he wanted the bike for the Hand Built bike show. Well after a little talking and an extra 100 bucks he kicked the hipster to the curb and I picked the bike up that night. Thought I do a post on getting the old girl up and going, so newbies can see how easy it is
    My bad, but in fairness it does say CB in the text.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Started from rear to front, pulled all electrical connections and cleaned themName:  IMG_3456.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  1.14 MB pulled the front and rear rim cleaned them up removed the wheel bearing covers,removed the grease with a heat gun, repacked them, cleaned and inspected the brakes and hubs. Installed new rim strips, tubes and tires.Name:  IMG_3447.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  1.25 MBName:  IMG_3450.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  1.18 MBName:  IMG_3451.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  1.31 MB polished the sliders, motor and chrome.Name:  IMG_3448.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  1.26 MBName:  IMG_3452.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  1.35 MBName:  IMG_3453.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  1.32 MBName:  IMG_3455.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  1.41 MBtouched up the frame, painted the center stand, kick stand and cut the rusted ends off the mufflers. Pulled the carbs to soak over nightName:  IMG_3454.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  1.43 MB
    Last edited by Jruff5585; 03-04-2018 at 12:28 AM.

You'll need to find storage in the back of the shop to hide it when your done. It will have to be hidden until this vintage mutilation fad passes or some moron will want to buy it and do the "chopped down the rear end of the frame as well as the rear seat brace,shock mounts and cut all the tabs off".

Got the carbs cleaned up. If you never cleaned carbs get a set of wire drills and a pin vise and some torch cleaning tips , all the carb cleaner and air in the world will not get some of the smallest jets cleaned out, I don't care how long you soak them. Pay attention to detail, nothing worse the having to pull the carbs again because you did not get everything clean. Note your turns to close on the air/ fuel mixture screws so they are close when you put them back together and don't forget to set the god damn float height.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jruff5585; 03-04-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links