1982 GS1100 being brought back to life - Page 2
Close

1982 GS1100 being brought back to life

This is a discussion on 1982 GS1100 being brought back to life within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw That's the way the kids are porting them these days. Compromising longevity for a pretty looking head. Sure it might flow ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1982 GS1100 being brought back to life

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    That's the way the kids are porting them these days. Compromising longevity for a pretty looking head.
    Sure it might flow great on the bench, but the loss of valve guide area and the boss plus the big block and those valve probably will be burnt and wobbling in a couple hundred miles.

Actually Lazer porting has been doing this stuff for probably 25+years now. I had a zx-11 head ported back in late 90's. So, who knows....
    Sure looks purdy though.
    Kids nowadays...... assuming I'm seeing it correctly, why would you want to sacrifice working surface area and heat transfer to get a guide below the surface of the port? If one insists that you have to be able to stuff your fist through the port, why not at least leave the guides long enough to sit proud of the port after install and then go back and contour them afterward? Again, if what's left of my brain is interpreting the photo correctly, it looks like the exhaust guides were shaped prior to installation.
    Wonder what the budget for dyno time will be and if the intention is to actually ride it in traffic.....
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I really like that frame!!! What do they run and where can I get more info? Got her bolted together but still a lot of fine tuning and readjustments to do on the carb and timing. Hope to get some more time this week to be in the garage. The GS is going to be a death trap to ride on the street but still just a fun build and crazy to see you how HP you can get out of an on inline 4. The XS I'm working on is going to be one of the daily drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Really Like that CMR Frame any idea on what they run?

got her all bolted up and running but have an oil leak at top cylinder head on valve cover so im going to take her apart get a new one and make ALOT of fine adjustments. Weather here is way to hot to be on the bike or in the garage so ill check back in a couple weeks. on a side note my XS is coming along nicely too, love the XS as a beater. The GS is a MONSTER, I built it just to see how fast I can make her, literally pulls your arms out of your sockets and has you grinning and scared for you life at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Finally got some time the past couple days to do some work:

After getting the head back from Lazer Porting and installing I realized I was working with way to much compression (14.5 to 1) since he milled the head down another .020 and bike was just to much of an animal and ever the new starter and high grade batter it had a hard time cranking her over. So I ordered a thicker set of Base and Head gaskets to knock her down to (12 to 1) and it worked like a charm. Got her fired up today and man she is a beast!!! Put about 40 miles on her with no issues, got home retorqued all the bolts and noticed a very minor oil leak from the gear indicator by sprocket. So I will be tracking down a new one hopefully from Suzuki or hunting on Ebay. All in all there are some adjustments I need to make and run through all the bolts again but she is 90% there and I can wait for some nice Fall Weather!!!

Did you rebuild those shocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Finally got the time last night and today to finish up the GS and man all I have to say is I am proud of how she turned out. I took her for a 60 miles spin around the mountain and I don't think I stopped grinning the whole way and as a matter of fact I still am!!! This project meant a lot to me as the last bike I completely did was about 8 years ago with my father when we rebuilt a Yamaha Wr250 when I used to race enduro and harescrambles. Since then I lost my father to cancer about a year and a half ago and have been working on bikes on my down time just to keep my hands and mind off the loss of my father. This bike is one that I wish he could have seen and maybe gave me a hand with as there was a huge learning curve for me but I'm glad I put myself out there to see what I can do. I know the forum trolls are going to have all kinds of smart ass remarks about the build but at the end of the day I built the bike the way I wanted to build if you don't like it then continue on with your day.

All work done by me except the powder coating of the frame because I couldn't fit it in my oven, and head Work done my Lazer porting because I don't have a lathe or the knowledge of valving...yet... bike maybe be a 1982 but I don't think there's to many old part left on her. She handles great and the power is just Godly. even in 5th gear at low RPM you can wack the throttle and she just goes till about 130mph where you either run out of room or say holy shit that's enough.

As she sits I believe she is the only GS1327 Cafe Racer out there and man she won my heart through blood, sweat, and at time tears at the parts bills lol. About $5500 into her in total with the most expensive item being the headwork at $2700.

At this point I like to think she is done but the truth is she will never be done, there are always things to tweak and adjust and replace... At some point I need to get her on the Dyno but for now the Carbs are synced, timing checked, and colortune done.

PS for anyone else out there thinking about building a bike I highly suggest it. I'm 30 years old, work a full time job, with 50-70 hour work weeks live an active lifestyle and still managed to completely rebuild this bike in under 8 months.

Curious to see what the forum trolls have to say on this one

Ps already got another bike lined up KTM 990 SMT which I will be turning into a woods weapon!!!

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Had some time to perfect the GS1327 over winter and have put some miles on her in the past couple days. Bike is a BEAST!!! Hoping to put her on a Dyno sometime this summer to dial in jetting and see what she puts to the rear wheel. All in All very happy how she turned out... also finished up the XS650 over winter love her as a grocery getter. All that and even built a salvage KTM 990 into an adventure bike too... Yeh I don't sit much...

Ews
    Looks slick. I dog the GS, only Suzuki that ever really got my attention.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    yourt engine what cams arev you using ?lol that porting looks like something onf fuel or boost
    definatelydrag-race porti gonna be a pos to ride arouind on public roads
    You can tell all that from those little pictures even without a side by side shot of a stock port? You're afuckingmazing, or dense that you think a 12:1 1327 is going to suffer from a lack of bottom end.

Right on OP/builder dude. I wouldn't have put a sidewinder on it but I understand selection's limited for available pipes.

I don't remember which GSXR wheels go in the stock swingarm easily. You'll want to do that at some point. GS Resources is probably your friend there.

Post back when you dyno it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links