Me new mate Bob
Close

Me new mate Bob

This is a discussion on Me new mate Bob within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; not where or how fast this is going to go, but. i bought this last december. m400 customer got taken out by a u-turner in ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Me new mate Bob

Me new mate Bob

not where or how fast this is going to go, but.

i bought this last december. m400 customer got taken out by a u-turner in chapel st (local trendy strip). big hit for low speed. he broke his femur, but also ended up with type 1 diabetes, which was really sad.

when bikes get written off out here they usually go on the WOVR - written off vehicle register - which is mainly about stopping cars being rebirthed. this would have been a statuatory write off - vin never to be registered australia wide again.

but because it was over 15 years old, he got a phone call from the car driver's insurance company asking if he wanted it back - they were going to take it to the tip allegedly. so for $250 he got it delivered to me.

Name:  004s.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  313.0 KB
    Name:  frame damage (5)s.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  265.4 KB
    Name:  frame damage (1)s.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  243.6 KB
    Name:  frame damage (3)s.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  252.6 KB
    Name:  frame damage (4)s.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  238.0 KB
    Name:  frame damage (2)s.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  276.2 KB

the other side front brake caliper mount is broken off the fork leg. forks are bent, surprisingly triple clamps are just fine. slid some other forks straight in to make it an easier roller again.
    Last edited by brad black; 04-28-2018 at 05:04 PM.

i sold the rear wheel out of it, which was the start of pulling it apart for death. but then i was talking to a greg at central motorcycles and he mentioned that steve martin - son of bob - was back in the frame straightening business. i found out where steve is - all round speed works in pakenham as it turns out - and rang him.. he said no worries, so i sent him the above pics. his reply was "holy shit". but still fixable, so i dropped it off. turns out it fits nicely in the back of the grand carnival.

Name:  180428 (4).jpg
Views: 309
Size:  227.2 KB

i picked it up yesterday. some pics here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...47635258797109 the steering head was 6 degrees back and 3 off to one side.

the next big parts needed were tank and another rear wheel. i found a tank on ebay, turned out to be jim at shedx in sydney. jim had a 5.5 rear wheel too, so now i have tank and wheel.

Name:  019s.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  278.8 KBName:  020s.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  240.8 KB

so i found this picture a few years ago and thought i'd keep it for reference some day. that day has come - time for an inspiration photo. i think it's more bagger without bags than bobber, not that i really know what either is - i don't do this sort of shit. but if you squint.....

Name:  Monster custom 2s.png
Views: 295
Size:  607.8 KB

i've got a 18" tdm850 front wheel on it's way, i think one of my customers has some sport classic forks from when i put ohlins in his and the local ducati wrecker has some s2r800 front calipers to suit the little 300mm discs. ages ago i bought a generic front fairing that's a bit too narrow for the monster triples, but it might work cut down a bit for this.

i want to get it up on the bench and see how the rear suspension works. these things allegedly have 150mm of rear suspension travel. i'd like to see how much it actually has and what the swingarm does through the travel and when it's parallel with the ground.
    Last edited by brad black; 05-02-2018 at 06:35 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's official, you like Ducatis a hell of a lot more than I do cuz I would have let them toss that one into the bin!

But let me be the first:

It's got no front fender!
    That tire is going to wipe out the tail light on the first bump!
    Where does the licens plate go!
    Why did you tear it down and mod the frame before you even got it running????
    Low bars and stock pegs? You'll be a cripple in no time!
    And I can't see them but I know there are pod filters on there somewhere!

CaTacL1sm likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

That whole VIN write-off thing is such total nonsense, imagine a number stamped into a frame being so badly damaged that the number can never be safely ridden again.

i'll put pods on it just for you.

well, actually, i can't be arsed with jetting it. well, i was going to say i wouldn't spend the money on a jet kit, but i have enough of that shit lying around to do it. back to can't be arsed. i only worked on it once as a customer bike, and after checking the idle mixture i think one screw was at (checking the invoice) 1/4 turn out and the other 2 turns. so it's got some carb issues i'm going to completely ignore as much as i'm going to have to ignore the noisy 3rd gear.

i'd kind of like to build a 1000 cranked 900 with the vee two torque cams, but i need crank and cylinders and heads and a shitload of time i don't see any point in. and then it's no longer a 400 and that brings the need for a $400 engineers report. plus the 400 cases can go to 800 with crank, cylinders, pistons and heads and i have all that and still can't be fucked pulling it out. maybe if i do actually powdercoat the frame the engine will be by definition out and then possibly it could be split and 6 speeded at the very least.
    DesmoDog likes this.

jcw
    I think they photoshopped the front of the fender off.

I think they photoshopped the entire picture.

Riding the black Monster you has your knees touching your ears

wait,
    squinting works
    I see a disc brake drive Ducati with a fully collapsed rear suspension, Harley pipes and a gunfighter seat

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links