BMW 1974 R60/6 Help!
Close

BMW 1974 R60/6 Help!

This is a discussion on BMW 1974 R60/6 Help! within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Totally green. Assume I know nothing. I'd like to change this thing into something like..... https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...jLRDCFIPascaaA I know this is going to take some time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BMW 1974 R60/6 Help!

BMW 1974 R60/6 Help!

Totally green. Assume I know nothing. I'd like to change this thing into something like.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...jLRDCFIPascaaA

I know this is going to take some time (and money), but where would you suggest that I start?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Start by selling that nice bike and buy someones half finished hack job. You can cut and hack until the fad wanes, then sell it on to the next garagista. You'll be saving a great bike for someone that thinks the BMW engineers just might have known what they were doing.

That looks like a really nice bike. You won't find many true motorcycle enthusiasts that would recommend chopping it up to make it "look" like a cafe racer.

If I were going to do any modifications at all I would look into shocks, exhausts, carbs maybe, and either fork springs or a disc brake front end, but if I were going to do all that to a motorcycle, I would try to find something that was not so original and classic looking.

Whatever you do don't cut anything or remove anything that you can't put back. You may regret it later.

Is this bike new to you? and have you ridden it yet?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Flat bars, solo seat, rear sets, remove the passenger pegs and call it ready for a very long ride
    nice bike, don't do anything you can't reverse once you come to your senses.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Flat bars, solo seat, rear sets, remove the passenger pegs and call it ready for a very long ride
    nice bike, don't do anything you can't reverse once you come to your senses.
    Do you have any pictures with this set-up? I am betting most of these guys would be very happy with the look - maybe add a nice 1/4 fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousPTC View Post
    Do you have any pictures with this set-up? I am betting most of these guys would be very happy with the look - maybe add a nice 1/4 fairing.
    the look Trials described doesn't do anything to reduce the performance of the bike an dis completely reversible. It will also get you to 75% of the look you're going for without making you look like a tool who ruined a really nice bike. Not to mention, it's the cheapest option as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    the look Trials described doesn't do anything to reduce the performance of the bike an dis completely reversible. It will also get you to 75% of the look you're going for without making you look like a tool who ruined a really nice bike. Not to mention, it's the cheapest option as well.
    I totally agree. That was my point. Most people come here looking for information on how to pipeburn their bikes. They get blasted as idiots. I think it might be more helpful to show them a nice bike with some of the style they are looking for, as trials suggested. I have seen tons of extremely nice BMWs that might be considered "cafe-style" without much done to them. Then you can blast the new posters "vision" bike by explaining why it isn't rideable.

OTOH, I have to admit this was the approach taken about that Seca 650 and that did not go over so well.

give it to me and I could show you one.

Google corbin gun fighter seat, that's the style seat conversion I like best and always have.
    Flat bars work, they won't experience clearance problems, will give you good leverage and get you in a comfortable crouch make yo a little more wind slippery for higher speeds. They would also preserve the bikes nice original fork and headlight parts.
    Rearsets, I would mostly make them and they would fold up, spring load down and the whole bit.
    Rear shocks :/ hang those on the garage wall and obtain the best money can buy.

Put your visa card in your pocket and head for the coast :| any coast.

Quote Originally Posted by F22C View Post
    Totally green. Assume I know nothing. I'd like to change this thing into something like.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...jLRDCFIPascaaA

I know this is going to take some time (and money), but where would you suggest that I start?

Thanks!
    I had a R75/5,drum brake same as yours. Put a disc front end on it if you can. Then I would remove the mudgaurds and fit alloy gaurds. Yes for rear sets but not to extreme, flat bars. Don't go cutting any lugs off and keep all the original parts. It's a nice original looking bike and you might want to put it back to stock one day.
    Geeto67 likes this.

I'd start by getting everything on it rebuilt replaced and bike running perfect first..then Google carb tunning/settings and we're to find jets and rebuild kits because it will not run smoothly after pods and open exhaust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links