CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver - Page 18
Close

CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

This is a discussion on CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I went through the same drama with the cheap Chinese tach/speedo I bought. You could read about it in my build thread .....if the last ...

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

I went through the same drama with the cheap Chinese tach/speedo I bought. You could read about it in my build thread .....if the last few pages didn’t keep disappearing. Anyways, I never could get the tach working. I ended up buying a Daytona Velona80 unit. There are a couple versions ( one that has the main needle display mph, and the tach is digital, one that has the tach as the needle, but the max rpm is 10k, and the one i wanted with a 15k rpm needle). I ended up getting it from the UK for close to $200.

I believe you can opt for a gps speedo, but I didn’t look into that. I already had the mag pickup from the cheapie unit and had fabricated the mounts for the pickup and the magnets. You would need to add the pickup to your purchase. For the tach, there are a few options to wire it up (instructions are pretty clear). I ended up coiling the signal wire around a spark plug and it works good. JCW suggested this induction pickup that would be a little cleaner and completely hidden, but my coil is all but invisible on a center plug wire below the tank.

https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ers/parts/8918
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

I've read there are some good digital ones available. I've thought about also just getting a mechanical speedometer with lights for the various switches, and forgetting the tacho. They are about 60 bucks..... was that the type of unit you battled with? If so maybe I'm better off going digital right out of the gate.

Also I got the new RR fitted, with the LiPo battery. Miraculously it works. So that means all I need now is to fab a new mounting system for the new electrical guts. Notice my zip tie mount for the blade fuses. Sweet.

Fuckin gauges.

Also managed somehow to find a lid from some paint that doesn't match either grey paints on the bike. What a mess
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by jakejensen; 05-11-2019 at 08:28 AM.

So after hooking up the new RR, it keeps popping fuses. I looked up the wiring diagram for both the Shindengen and the Polaris unit (PN4012941).

The factory unit comes equipped with a return wire to the battery for charging. This new unit does not. The wiring harness I got has two power and two ground wires, I plugged one ground into the charging end of the bike's harness. I suspect this is what was causing the open circuit, but for now I'm out of fuses so I can't pull that wire and check. Question Is, with a LiPo battery, will I be in trouble without a charge return from the RR?

I've attached the wiring diagram for both the Shindengen 232 and the polaris part. You can see the polaris RR doesn't come equipped with an output for the charging port. Mine matches this, with blades fitted only for power and ground.

Thanks guys!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

What RR did you buy? There are several versions that look similar. Some are MOSFET, the SH775 is series, but the cheap versions are usually standard shunt types in shengden clothing.

Can you post a pick of the factory diagram? According to the SH232 diagram, that extra wire is a positive wire, not a ground. That’ll pop fuses all day long if it’s connected to ground.

.... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

I'm pretty sure it's the Polaris model, same as I posted above. I'll have to dig through my email to find the distributors email when I purchased it.

Attached a pic of a factory diagram, you're right I think.

Also attached some pics of the livery going on. Whoooooo!

Polaris typically don't use the battery the way a bike does. They work more like a bike without battery and keep the battery charged just to operate the starter motor. Lights dim when revs drop.

That Polaris RR has three leads on the DC side. P1 is ground, P2 charges the battery, and P3 powers lights. It doesn't have a battery voltage sensor wire. From what I see on line, the sensor wire is not needed. The other R/R is wired the same as a stock.

Are you sure that you have the ground and charge leads in the right way round? Looks like they are reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    Polaris typically don't use the battery the way a bike does. They work more like a bike without battery and keep the battery charged just to operate the starter motor. Lights dim when revs drop.

That Polaris RR has three leads on the DC side. P1 is ground, P2 charges the battery, and P3 powers lights. It doesn't have a battery voltage sensor wire. From what I see on line, the sensor wire is not needed. The other R/R is wired the same as a stock.

Are you sure that you have the ground and charge leads in the right way round? Looks like they are reversed.
    Good Call. I had one of the ground wires connected into the lead of the wiring harness which was the sensor wire on the bike side. I pulled that one and no more popped fuses.

Update here: I've solved the big problem. I found a guy. Damn if that's not a relief. He owns a motorcycle shop, good to do the inspection, and cleared all my mods.

The upgraded electrical system made starting this baby up a whole different deal. That tired old battery/regulator was toast.

After talking with said guy, I made a move on the Velona 80 Tach. I don't need a 200km speedo but I wanted the larger face.

Now I need to find a way to mount the ignition with the tach. Guess I'll start poking around. Cosmetics are nearly finished. Finally matched the paint. All that's left to do is hit the tank with a few more coats of clear and put the decals on.

I think this is Turning out just right. It feels fantastic to drive. The fork brace helps a ton, the new electronics make it start up no trouble, it runs with zero issues....... so far......

I still need to sync the carbs. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Can't buy paint on Sunday in Deutschland.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

The instructions included give you several different methods to connect the tach signal. The instructions are pretty clear, and easy to understand.
    jakejensen likes this.

My GS550 Build Thread

Freddie Spencer CB750 livery is complete.

Daytona tach came in the mail today, so that's up next, with mounting the ignition switch. I also got some LED indicators, but that might have to come later. hopefully off to get the inspection done Friday.
    CaTacL1sm and Geeto67 like this.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Sponsored Links