CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver - Page 20
Close

CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

This is a discussion on CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman You've done a really nice job on this bike, the way it looks would make me want to go find a ...

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    You've done a really nice job on this bike, the way it looks would make me want to go find a twisty road. I for one am so glad you didn't use the Hoekman "Guide to Killing Old Bikes" , hope you are too.

One of the mild changes I make quite often is to shorten the stems on the signals. Use the stock lights but bring them enough that they don't look like an after thought.
    Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll chop off the rear end now and paint the whole thing flat black. Haha

I got a new spark plug and both sides are right as rain.

I like how it turned out. I can see now this is how these bikes are supposed to look. There's still a few things wrong with it though. The head needs a valve job real bad, and the issue with the balancer chain tensioner is bugging me. I just want to get the plates before I bust it down again.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejensen View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll chop off the rear end now and paint the whole thing flat black. Haha

I got a new spark plug and both sides are right as rain.

I like how it turned out. I can see now this is how these bikes are supposed to look. There's still a few things wrong with it though. The head needs a valve job real bad, and the issue with the balancer chain tensioner is bugging me. I just want to get the plates before I bust it down again.
    My memory is a little fuzzy..... maybe Iíve even mentioned this before, but if the balancer chain adjuster has run out of adjustment, you can pull the adjuster off the shaft ,rotate it slightly and reinstall it on the shaft which will allow you to tighten the chain one last time. Reasonably sure about this, but verify it first just in case Iím full of shit.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I think Cyorg is right about the adjuster, with his level of confidence. If you want quick answers to engine questions go to Honda Twins there are a bunch of people there that know those engines well.

Didn't read this whole post but it may answer your question.
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/62...djustment.html
    Last edited by woodsman; 05-25-2019 at 06:22 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Updates here... got the bike back from inspections and she passed. Bullshit with German paperwork be damned. Ended up having to buy another set of tires which match exactly the size printed on the title. Even though my dunlops are better, safer, and fit. Awesome.
    Got it back home and adjusted the balancer chain tensioner. Here are a few pics
    Name:  20190812_190112.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  3.45 MB
    Name:  20190812_190220.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  3.19 MB
    Name:  20190812_190642.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  3.22 MB
    Name:  Screenshot_20190812-215413_Video Player.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.40 MB
    I adjusted it tighter, but didn't dare go too tight. You can see the mark is now just left of 12 o'clock, so there's still life in the chain. It sounds about the same at idle, but when I rev it up it sounds much better. Heres a vid.

That has some serious mechanical racket going on in there, sure hope you can sort it out.

Good news and bad news.... Good news is I've officially been approved by the bureaucratic gongshow here for both license plates and a drivers license.
    Bad news is the rattle sound in the bike is not the balancer chain. I've adjusted it and the sound is exactly the same. I have a hard time thinking it's the top end of the engine, since I just rebuilt it. I suspect something in the crankcase is slapping or knocking. It doesn't affect the function of the bike though... yet. Any ideas what's causing the noise?

Good news and bad news.... Good news is I've officially been approved by the bureaucratic gongshow here for both license plates and a drivers license.
    Bad news is the rattle sound in the bike is not the balancer chain. I've adjusted it and the sound is exactly the same. I have a hard time thinking it's the top end of the engine, since I just rebuilt it. I suspect something in the crankcase is slapping or knocking. It doesn't affect the function of the bike though... yet. Any ideas what's causing the noise?
    Did you try and see if you can isolate which side it is coming from? As suggested in post 21 and post 27?
    Maybe itís just the recording, but it sounds more expensive in the last video.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Did you try and see if you can isolate which side it is coming from? As suggested in post 21 and post 27?
    Maybe itís just the recording, but it sounds more expensive in the last video.
    It's loudest in the front, on the right side. This is what had me thinking it was the balancer chain, because it's right there. But now I'm afraid it might be a rod bearing. I'll try the quick and dirty test tomorrow, see what I come up with. In the meantime, I might start looking for a donor engine just in case this one gives up on me. I found one on ebay for 100 bucks, who knows if it's worth buying for parts or not.

I have also thought about just driving this bike as long as she will last and then buying something bigger. Maybe a VFR750

It's loudest in the front, on the right side. This is what had me thinking it was the balancer chain, because it's right there. But now I'm afraid it might be a rod bearing. I'll try the quick and dirty test tomorrow, see what I come up with. In the meantime, I might start looking for a donor engine just in case this one gives up on me. I found one on ebay for 100 bucks, who knows if it's worth buying for parts or not.

I have also thought about just driving this bike as long as she will last and then buying something bigger. Maybe a VFR750
    In the grand scheme of things, it doesnít really take that long to pull the engine out of there and pop the lower case half off, so if your test doesnít tell you anything, then it would be a good option before you gamble on another engine or spend anymore money. There is always a chance that one of the balancers is rattling around because itís bearing has given up the ghost. The balancers also have cush drives, so if the rubber bits have biodegraded back into some sort of petroleum product, then it would sound like hells bells inside there. I would be gun shy about just riding it. If it coughs it cookies or locks up on the autobahn, itíll really spoil your fucking day.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    There is always a chance that one of the balancers is rattling around because itís bearing has given up the ghost. The balancers also have cush drives, so if the rubber bits have biodegraded back into some sort of petroleum product, then it would sound like hells bells inside there.
    So, I'm just thinking out loud here...

I looked back through the videos I've taken during the process of fixing up this bike. I have video of it right when I got it, which is ugly because the carbs were dirty.
    I cleaned the carbs and took this video and I feel like I can hear the same ugly slapping, pinging noise that it is making still. Somehow (probably because I'm a novice) I missed it throughout this whole process. I think later I ascribed it to the balancer chain being loose but that didn't play out.

You're probably right, taking the engine out makes the most sense. I could buy a donor engine, but who knows what issues a motor in a box might be hiding. I already know the top end of this one is sound. I would have to take it out to stick a new one in it anyways.

Main problem now is that I don't have a shop. The bomb shelter situation shifted after the bike came out. Guess the neighbors upstairs don't like the smell of burnt fuel.... Looks like it's the living room for this next chapter.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links