CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver - Page 21
Close

CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

This is a discussion on CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jakejensen So, I'm just thinking out loud here... I looked back through the videos I've taken during the process of fixing up ...

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jakejensen View Post
    So, I'm just thinking out loud here...

I looked back through the videos I've taken during the process of fixing up this bike. I have video of it right when I got it, which is ugly because the carbs were dirty.
    I cleaned the carbs and took this video and I feel like I can hear the same ugly slapping, pinging noise that it is making still. Somehow (probably because I'm a novice) I missed it throughout this whole process. I think later I ascribed it to the balancer chain being loose but that didn't play out.

You're probably right, taking the engine out makes the most sense. I could buy a donor engine, but who knows what issues a motor in a box might be hiding. I already know the top end of this one is sound. I would have to take it out to stick a new one in it anyways.

Main problem now is that I don't have a shop. The bomb shelter situation shifted after the bike came out. Guess the neighbors upstairs don't like the smell of burnt fuel.... Looks like it's the living room for this next chapter.
    There it doesn’t sound as loud. Trying to diagnose noises via video is almost pointless in most cases. Nothing wrong with the living room. Just drain as much oil out as you can and leave the tank and carbs somewhere else, so you don’t stink the place out. I would just take the engine up there.... if the neighbors see you dragging in a whole bike, then there will likely be some drama.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 09-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Well, took out the plugs and tried the quick test. Both Pistons are solid. So for now that one doesn't help. It could still be a connecting rod bearing but I won't know until I take the bottom case half off.

In doing some more reading, it looks like the two balancers could also be to blame. They both run on a bearing and also use cush drives, which if spent would contribute to the symphony the crank case is making right now.

I guess I'll pull the bike into the living room then. BRB

Well, took out the plugs and tried the quick test. Both Pistons are solid....
    You can't really tell squat about the pistons unless you take them right out, it is the ring groves, wrist pin, piston skirts and barrel that will reveal issues with the fit of the pistons into the cylinder. Stuck rings for instance will induce all kinds of nasty mechanical noises on an air cooled engine.

Anti-vibration counter-balancer issues? <- don't buy motorcycles that have chain driven counter-balancers, they suck when they are new and don't improve with age.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

So I pulled the top end off of the bike. Good thing. The valve train is.....showing signs of wear.... I missed this the first time I had it apart somehow.
    The camshaft gear was perfectly aligned with the head deck, at TDC for cylinder 1. The valve cleareance was .004 for both intake on both sides, and .006 on exhaust, which is to spec.

Name:  camgear.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  333.0 KB

Camshaft is showing max lobe diameter of 34.44 - 34.48. Spec is 36.99. Is it possible that the cams have lost over a mm in diameter? The rocker arms are showing the abuse from being smacked every time they hit the camshaft. It's possible this was the noise I was hearing all along. The wear on the cams for the left cylinder is much worse. The left side was the more noisy of the two as well. Now I am pretty convinced that I need a replacement camshaft as well as replacement rocker arms, accross the board. I haven't opened the bottom case yet, but I am now not looking forward to what is hiding in there. Starting to feel expensive.
    Name:  lifter1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  227.8 KBName:  lifter2.jpg
Size:  239.2 KBName:  lifter3.jpg
Size:  257.2 KBName:  lifter4.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  219.4 KB

So I pulled the top end off of the bike. Good thing. The valve train is.....showing signs of wear.... I missed this the first time I had it apart somehow.
    The camshaft gear was perfectly aligned with the head deck, at TDC for cylinder 1. The valve cleareance was .004 for both intake on both sides, and .006 on exhaust, which is to spec.

Camshaft is showing max lobe diameter of 34.44 - 34.48. Spec is 36.99. Is it possible that the cams have lost over a mm in diameter? The rocker arms are showing the abuse from being smacked every time they hit the camshaft. It's possible this was the noise I was hearing all along. The wear on the cams for the left cylinder is much worse. The left side was the more noisy of the two as well. Now I am pretty convinced that I need a replacement camshaft as well as replacement rocker arms, accross the board. I haven't opened the bottom case yet, but I am now not looking forward to what is hiding in there. Starting to feel expensive.

Cross out “showing signs of wear” and insert “completely fucking knackered”..... and yes that would make quite a racket.
    TrialsRider and jakejensen like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ooooooo, should have been roller rockers like a modern bike :| Upgrade!

It already passed inspection and is considered road worthy yes?
    Replace the motor with almost anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Ooooooo, should have been roller rockers like a modern bike :| Upgrade!
    Upgraded roller rockers on this pile... lol

Upgraded roller rockers on this pile... lol
    Good point, if your next bike or next engine has rocker arms make sure they ride on rollers.

I actually looked it up and they don't make them. It would have to be a custom cam and roller setup. Possible business opportunity for somebody with a lathe....?

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links