CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver - Page 25
Close

CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

This is a discussion on CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Long skirts are so yesterday...

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: CB400T Shitbox Build - Daily Driver

Long skirts are so yesterday

How about a vintage burnt toast and tested one:

Nope, still not seeing any war between the skirt and the cylinder.
    ... that covers all the pistons I ride.

So, I've done the following checks here..

-plastigage on main bearings shows some life left. It was at .05mm on all three journals, manual says they are toast at .08mm

- plastigage on Conrod bearings showed even less wear than the mains

- micrometer shows ID on replacement rocker arms is good, they are now in the original cam blocks

- micrometer on replacement cam shows some wear (all lobes at 34.8mm) but no damage and WAY less wear than my other one (some were 34.5....). Not perfect unfortunately. I found a new one not the guy wants 400 bucks for the damn thing. Sellers market...

- ordered the gasket kit and assembly lube so it will be in next week.

Most of the parts on this old shitbox engine are worn out. It won't pay me to put all new components in it, cuz the fuckin thing will cost thousands. The worn used parts may not last too long, which is shit. But I guess I can buy a used engine if I have to later. At this point the cost is in buying parts, and the used ones i have are as good as it gets outside of OEM new ones.

Now to put it back together and not fuck anything up.
    TrialsRider likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I bet for way less money you could buy a new or near new CBR500R and be riding.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I bet for way less money you could buy a new or near new CBR500R and be riding.
    I know that's true.

Had my fun in the "build". Now I know better haha.

It actually has been a fun first time deal. But also learning experience.

Any 400/450 of that era will fit, you should be able to find a good engine for a couple hundred bucks. It may take a bit of time to find but they made thousands. You did a nice job putting it together and with the change in your thinking from your first post, I'm with Trials...onward and upward. If vintage bikes have become as ridiculously priced in Germany as North America then you should do alright with yours polished up and running. I can't help but think that in Europe, with the variety available, there has got to be some real deals on interesting motorcycles.
    jakejensen likes this.

Updates...
    Mounted the new tacho.
    Got my parts in and am nearly finished putting the engine back together.

Should be able to fire it up this week.

Fingers crossed the gremlin is gone

Oh crap, you never mentioned it had Gremlins

Found one. The cam chain guide isnt supposed to curve that way. Its completely bent forward....

Gotta find a new one. Looks like they are hard to come by. Sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I replaced the cam chain guide, reinstalled all the components and shes a runner! A few things have gone down since I put it back on the road, so here is the update;

1. Ticking noise is gone but not forgotten. It still has the same old tick tick tick from time to time when the bike isn't warm yet. I think at this point, I can confirm that its a combination of things. A) the smaller camshaft for the euro models makes the geometry of the lifter/cam contact more abrupt. B) The parts on this engine are worn. Camshaft is worn a bit, I confirmed the bearings for pretty much every journal have some wear, which likely contributes to lower oil pressure in the top end at start up and while it's cold. Once its warm, It runs very smoothly. I've had it up to 6th gear 5500rpm and on the BAHN at about 100km/hr. Very smooth ride!

2. On my first ride after installing the engine the damn rear wheel broke! Comstars have a small retaining lip on the outside of the chain side hub, and that lip broke off completely. A circlip holds a washer and the drive sprocket on the wheel by pinching up against the lip. I went bobbing down a cobblestone road by my house and next thing I know, the fucking sprocket is flopping around on my wheel. Luckily, I was about 10 minutes from my house and only going about 5km/hr. So I bought some used comstars and this set has had no problem. I can't figure out why the old ones broke... Chain tension was to spec, the sprockets were aligned...

3. Ran out of gas last night for the first time and had to make the walk of shame to the gas station. Luckily in Berlin there's gas stations everywhere so it wasnt a very long walk. Turns out walking these Honda Twins isnt too bad either.

More rookie mistakes to come I'm sure.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Sponsored Links