-68 Norton 650SS - Page 2
Close

-68 Norton 650SS

This is a discussion on -68 Norton 650SS within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Yep, and the big hole in it acts as a sludge trap. Much of that found when taking crank apart....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: -68 Norton 650SS

Yep, and the big hole in it acts as a sludge trap. Much of that found when taking crank apart.
    Name:  Sludge trap.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  59.4 KB

One main thing with changing a standard bike to a period caferacer is to remove as much weight as possible. Removing rear chainguard.Alloy fenders, alloy engine plates, alloy tanks and clipons. Found that the clipons bolts hit the tank. So I replaced them with cheap chinese alloy ones. Saved one pound in weight and ten pounds in cost. Also fitted a new smaller headlight with H4 bulb. Better light and one pound lighter.

Had some time this weekend to do some job on the AMC gearbox. On the picture is the gearbox ready to install. Also the replaced parts and the tools I had to make.
    Name:  Gearbox.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  180.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Did you change the ball bearing on the end of the layshaft for a roller bearing? Not sure if it applies to that year of AMC box. Good on you for making your own tools. FYI not sure if you are aware, but on later gearboxes, they added a carb jet to the top of the outer cover. It was to supplement the small breather hole in the access cover for the clutch cable. When hot, the jet was supposed to allow the box to breath better and reduce the amount of oil oozing out. I can post a photo if you wish.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

No, I stayed with the ball bearing because Mick Hemmings is no fan on roller bearing on the layshaft. Only problem he says with the ball bearing is that the ball retainers breaks. Not certain but I think the breather hole was moved to the inner cover on later Commandos. Heard that the breather hole was intended to get rid of water condensating in the box. There is two screws inside outer cover that usually are a bit rusty. I built it completely standard except changing to a magnet drain plug. I'm quite fond of the AMC gearbox, except the clutch mechanism where I prefer the laydown gearbox. Even so much that I copied the AMC box when we built 5-speed BMW gearboxes for outfit racers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 40M View Post
    No, I stayed with the ball bearing because Mick Hemmings is no fan on roller bearing on the layshaft. Only problem he says with the ball bearing is that the ball retainers breaks. Not certain but I think the breather hole was moved to the inner cover on later Commandos. Heard that the breather hole was intended to get rid of water condensating in the box. There is two screws inside outer cover that usually are a bit rusty. I built it completely standard except changing to a magnet drain plug. I'm quite fond of the AMC gearbox, except the clutch mechanism where I prefer the laydown gearbox. Even so much that I copied the AMC box when we built 5-speed BMW gearboxes for outfit racers.
    You are correct, its the inner cover. Should have gone downstairs and looked at it first. Don't recall hearing about condensation being much of a problem, although I suppose the breather could accomplish both. Not sure why he would object to a roller in there and why he would be ok with the idea of a ball retainer possibly breaking up if it can be avoided. Plus the factory used rollers later on when the engines were cranking out more grunt.

https://www.oldbritts.com/12_065199.html
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Mick favors a special ball bearing with a much better retainer. Used them in his five and six speed boxes too. Never had any problem with them. With the relatively low output of a 650 in standard trim and not going to push the bike as hard as I do with a race bike, I think it will work with a standard bearing.

While waiting for the crankshaft grinder, played a bit with the electrical system. As I'm no fan of Joseph Lucas ( Lord of darkness) most parts are being replaced with modern parts. Anyhow, I think I've managed to get things looking close to how we built in the late sixties.
    Name:  Meters.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  141.6 KB
    Name:  Lamp.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  235.2 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links