1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer - Page 10
Close

1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by TrialsRider Sounds like the axle is offset forward on the fork leg and that is messing up your measurements. What's the rake ...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Sounds like the axle is offset forward on the fork leg and that is messing up your measurements.
    What's the rake angle measured at the steering head,
    what's the trail using a line through the steering head bearing to the ground and then from that to the bottom of the tire contact patch?
    The axle is not offset forward, it sits at the bottom of the fork. The 27.2° of rake is the measurement at the steering head. As i mentioned the trail both with the calculator online and with manually measuring the trail on the ground by comparing the bottom of the contact point of the tire with the projected straight line from the steering head is roughly ~4".

So in terms of riding the bike with the stock setup. When i bought the motorcycle i rode it for about 2.5 hours straight on country roads. Varying speeds. When i bought it the stock forks were slid up roughly 2 inches. Effectively leaving the rake/trail at about the same position as now. Big differences was the preserved full travel of the fork. They did need new fork seals, and had lost a good amount of oil already. So i did feel the thunks of the fork bottoming out.

Why suspension matters.
    Name:  b960c22b534b270f7b92955b806bbd92--winding-road-roadtrips.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  23.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    ... had lost a good amount of oil already. So i did feel the thunks of the fork bottoming out.
    Low oil level will not bottom out your suspension you will only lose dampening, too Much oil will bottom out suspension when it hydraulics.

... if you heard a thud when it bottomed out that was because something was hitting and that would have to relate to the yokes being slid down too far on the stanchions. The springs are what carry the weight and hold the suspension extended :/ the oil produces some compression dampening, but if the shock absorber runs dry air offers little resistance, uncontrolled travel in that part happens.

We just got 2 inches of wet snow here :| that is going to put a damper on Woody's demo day tomorrow sure hope it melts by morning
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-27-2018 at 09:36 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ait cool, so i thought about it, what i'll do is spend the winter disassembling this sucker and learning how things work. So far I've learned quite a bit from you guys. So thank you for that. I'll see what i might do come spring time. I would ideally get another v45/v65 Sabre in a much better condition and continue my build on that, using the current thing as a parts bike. Thinking about the work that needs to go into this one to get it to an operational level especially with the small dent in the frame kind of deterred me from it. The engine case i am not too worried about because i could always buy another engine or new set of crank cases. Yes its a lot of work to dismantle and reassemble it but its not that bad. The frame though, there is no repairing that other then cutting that piece off and welding a new one. That seems like a terrible idea as it will effect the balance, and structural integrity of the frame.

Given that this project has turned form building something that works, to a science experiment for learning. What would the masses suggest for any actual project bike. I do like the v4s from honda, as they are truly unique, in sound, performance, and engineering. I do want to hear your opinions for the best bike to use for a project. Things to consider I guess would be the performance of the machine, the complexity, the deviation from that classic horizontal line stance... like what makes that bike better? I see that functionality is important for all so I would assume "because it looks better" type answers should be held back.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    alright I measured everything out more precisely. Accommodated for the grade on my driveway as well. Here is the numbers:

Rake: 27.2°
    Tire Radius: 25.795" (110/90/R18)
    Triple Clamp Offset: 2.375"
    Fork Length: 29" 3/4

Using the https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html calculator that leave:

Trail:3.96"

Now where all that leave me, is essentially with a front end that should be about as stable as the above mentioned BMW example by TrialsRider. With about 3" of travel, and not the stiffest of springs. Certainly not a knee dropping, corner carving with confidence, beast of a machine. But also not an unstable death trap.

Now I would like to hear people's opinion of what the handling characteristics of a machine with roughly the specs above? (I would like to hear the actual technical aspects not just "its shit" type answers.)
    I haven't read the whole thread, just a couple short pages.
    based on the numbers, it sounds like a fine front end set up for a good sport tourer. Provided the measurements are accurate. However, you cannot escape the fact that at a wheelbase of 61.5 inches, it is never going to change directions quickly or easily. Depending on what you are used to or what you want, this may or may not matter. Coming off Harley's you may be pleasantly surprised. If you were riding supersports and wanted a throwback racer, you might be disappointed.
    3" for front end travel is not good though and would be my biggest concern. Death trap right there. Think about sag taking up 1-1.5 inches, that leaves 1.5 inches of compression. No way. EDIT- 8ball already pointed this out....

That's the thing with those pretty bikes, most aren't really rideable.
    Last edited by jcw; 10-28-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Yep, this is very much a form follows function forum, but that is what makes it unique.

I'm sure there are other forums where they get all cranked up over stationary riderless artistic impressions of a real motorcycle and buzz terms like "classic horizontal line stance" or "boneline" actually means something to somebody, in this place it's a bit of a joke to draw imaginary lines through a motorcycle and call them important. example: How to Build a Café Racer ? BikeBound What I see first is a set of tires that still have the little tiny hairs still on them confirming this is just yet another unridden indoor art project.

If you want advice on how to make a motorcycle go this is the place, if you want to wax poetic about imaginary lines photoshopped on a picture of a riderless bike :/ not so much.

Complexity is not something you want in your first motorcycle, 4 cylinders fed by 4 carburetors is a good example of complexity.
    Frames themselves are rarely to never balanced as such and repairing one isn't a huge problem, welding without creating stress fractures or weak spots on a frame constructed of relatively unknown, used materials is a huge challenge.
    BalkanMoto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    holy crap... he actually uses the term bone line... what a fucking jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

What you want to do with the bike, how big you are, the project budget, parts support, your skill set, all help determine where to start.

Just a hunch, check out 1970's 2-strokes
    example: Yamaha 350 cc everybody will notice it, motor performance will scare the crap out of you, easy to work on, easy to modify, the bike is already low, stock frame and suspension is scary if you push it hard, but I suspect you will never ride it fast enough to matter. Buy one that is pristine stock as possible and has been stored in the back of a heated garage, not some cafe project.
    ... if that's not enough bike for you then look at a Suzuki T500
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-28-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Don't listen to woodsman he's just another troll this site

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links