1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer - Page 13
Close

1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by 8ball Same configuration, but they are not the same engine...at all. The Intercepter cylinders are canted back further, gear driven cams, chain ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Same configuration, but they are not the same engine...at all. The Intercepter cylinders are canted back further, gear driven cams, chain drive. I don’t think there are many parts, if any, that are interchangeable.
    The Interceptor is the second generation V4. They were developed from the S and the C. I don't think it's a stretch to say they are basically the same, as one is developed from the other and they are all V4, DOHC motors. The top ends are very much similar with the differences mostly being that the F has 5 gears and is chain driven. And it's the third generation VFR that had the gear driven cams. My reference was to the F. Regardless, the point is still the same- F or R is a better platform than the Sabre or Magna, which like Teazer said is a formidable red light to red light drag bike.

jcw
    Those mid 80’s were quite the power cruiser days.
    Suzuki had their v4 Madura, Yamaha their V-max, Honda Sabre and Magna.
    Kawasaki had the lone inline-4 Zl900.

Thanks for the history lesson boys. I didn't go with an interceptor (F or R model) for 2 reasons. One I don't need all of that race bike performance (engine and chassis). I am building a bike for the streets. Two the look of the interceptor just makes me cringe. The fairings w.e. i can take those off, but the square frame bars are just not something i am fond of. I like the classic round tubing all around, especially if one is to strip the bike down and draw even more attention to it. Personal preference really.

As for the difference in lowering the front forks not being very noticeable. Yes at this time it isn't but in the future it will be. Here's the write up I did on what I actually did. In the video you can see things better too. https://www.balkanmoto.com/articles/10
    Last edited by BalkanMoto; 11-15-2018 at 08:05 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson boys. I didn't go with an interceptor (F or R model) for 2 reasons. One I don't need all of that race bike performance (engine and chassis). I am building a bike for the streets. Two the look of the interceptor just makes me cringe. The fairings w.e. i can take those off, but the square frame bars are just not something i am fond of. I like the classic round tubing all around, especially if one is to strip the bike down and draw even more attention to it. Personal preference really.

As for the difference in lowering the front forks not being very noticeable. Yes at this time it isn't but in the future it will be. Here's the write up I did on what I actually did. In the video you can see things better too. https://www.balkanmoto.com/articles/10
    listen you ignorant cull you dont even grasp the simple concepts
    that is painfully obvious
    please explain in another video and right here as to how simply,without internal modifications, lowering the front end shortens the fork travel
    the only way you have shortened travel is when the fork brace collides with the lower triple clamp ,moron
    listen shit for brains the only thing that determines the forks travel is the effective length of the damper rod
    which requires something besides feces for brain matter to understand

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    save it... your not teaching anybody here anything
    Intent was never to teach anyone anything, especially people on here. The intent was to receive feedback, so i can improve my own knowledge, should there be anything I've miss understood or completely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    listen you ignorant cull you dont even grasp the simple concepts
    that is painfully obvious...
    Thanks for the feedback.

Got to do some work on the carburetors of the new bike. Turns out the rubber boots between the carbs and the engine are pretty shot and will need replacing. Also the gaskets on the float bowls were not sealing properly and were packed with some sort of gray liquid gasket type sealant. I was also unaware that the breather-separator box was full, so this shit started pumping into the air box when i tried to start the bike in order to start to debug the issues. (What some would refer to as "blow-by", or so the inter tubes say)
    Name:  blow-by.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  62.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20181118_112246.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  3.20 MB
    I drained it and took the carbs off to get them cleaned up. I have ordered some new rubber boots and gaskets and was wondering what the expert opinion on here is about using any type of grease or liquid gasket material for ease of installation and to create a better seal between the rubber components and the metal? Would you recommend doing it at all? If yes what would you recommend works best and for what application?

Its been a while since i posted in here. I've made some great progress on the project. Here is some photos of the latest work:

For full details on what i have done in the past checkout the series: 1982-83 Honda V45 Sabre Series

I recently purchased an ultrasonic cleaner. Do any of you have suggestions on what to use as the solution in it, to clean the carbs?

Water is cheap :|

It could potentially turn the aluminum and brass bits a nasty colour if you over-cook it. I just clean them with rags and carb cleaner.
    I think I seen these pictures a while back, no?

Well i got the ultrasonic cleaner more for the internals of the carbs. You know the places you can't get to with small brushes and things. I guess i'll try it with water first see how much that takes off.

As for the pics, i definitely haven't posted them here before. It could be another sabre project. I know a number of individuals that have sabre projects that look nearly identical.

10% mix of this with distilled water worked well for me. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...eaner&_sacat=0
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Sponsored Links