1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer - Page 2
Close

1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; There are actually 5 videos currently in that playlist. I have taken the tank off. The current state of the bike is actually like so, ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

There are actually 5 videos currently in that playlist. I have taken the tank off. The current state of the bike is actually like so, with shortened forks and most things missing:

Name:  G0060294.JPG
Views: 339
Size:  4.37 MB

And after i chopped the frame and put the tank back on there for visual:
    Name:  G0100310.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.82 MB
    Name:  G0110313.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  5.13 MB

it's a very messy engine for a cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    it's a very messy engine for a cafe.
    I find La Marzocco to be much more streamlined and efficient
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Why did you pull everything off a running bike to slide the fork tubes into the wrong place and hack the arse off. Was the bike certified in your name, hope so. None of the shit you posted in your dream bike collection are roadworthy in Ontario.
    Did you actually think about what it would be like to ride a dipshitcycle like this
    Name:  23_03_2017_K_Speed_Honda_VF750S_Sabre_Racer_Fuckstone_Thailand_Pipeburn_cafe_racer_02.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  81.7 KB
    or were you to busy deciding on video lighting.

lol i didn't pull everything off just to slide the forks up and cut the tail. I am actually rebuilding everything. The forks' internals were shortened by 2", or rather shifted. Engine will get pulled out soon enough as well, taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled with new-ish components. The frame/electronics are all stripped because they will all be relocated. I am well aware that the 3 bikes i posted are more works of art than road legal motorcycles. My project will focus on the form first as well, but keep the function in mind in order to make it pass safety and get plated later on.

I do find it interesting however that there is so much hostility towards new projects on the forum. Given that cafe racers are at the end of the day custom motorcycles, that are primarily built to the liking of the builders themselves. So what looks "good" is very subjective. Either way not going to take this off topic.

Thank you for your input everybody, I appreciate any technical expertise and suggestions.

BalkanMoto, I like your attitude. Just plug along, one thing at a time. Don't be distracted by dumbasses. It's not rocket science, you'll figure it all out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    I do find it interesting however that there is so much hostility towards new projects on the forum. Given that cafe racers are at the end of the day custom motorcycles, that are primarily built to the liking of the builders themselves. So what looks "good" is very subjective. Either way not going to take this off topic.

Thank you for your input everybody, I appreciate any technical expertise and suggestions.
    it's because we get a lot of people posting on here about how they're going to do this and that to something totally unsuited and then get all bent out of shape when they get told it's a dumb idea. even worse when their first post contains the phrase "i've been told it's a bad idea, but i think i can make it work". the people here are mostly bike industry or racer based, and so modification for form is looked on in a much less favourable light than modification for function.

and, by far the biggest issue imo, is that people come here looking for validation for their stupid ideas. i put paso wheels in my monster, because i wanted to**. i couldn't give a shit if no one else likes it, and wouldn't mind at all if they pointed that out. that's opinion and expression. it's the the internet. if you want arse kissing, do the ton tends to be far more accepting of the stupid. here, you'll get good technical advice along with ridicule and derision from people who already know how to build a cafe racer, if i may take a quote.

so, suck it up. take the good, ignore the bad, move forward and shows us something we don't know.

**(well, in truth at some point i thought it was a good idea, but the time frame between instigation and execution was so long that, once i actually started making it happen i was so far down the path of commitment that there was no point not doing it. in truth, i could have bought a nice set of oz from motowheels and bolted them straight in for what i spent making the pieces of 16" shit fit. so, continue).
    BalkanMoto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    I find La Marzocco to be much more streamlined and efficient
    coffee? i don't drink it, and can't be bothered googling.

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    The forks' internals were shortened by 2", or rather shifted.
    as a curiosity, because i have an interest in suspension without any great knowledge, how did you do it?

i ask as i see people say they put in a spacer and cut the springs the same amount and they think there's some validity to that. i would remove the forks from the bike and compress one of them (or both for consistency) as they were on a scale and see what the maximum spring load is at full compression. then do the same thing with the spring alone (or the forks without any oil in them to negate the air spring effect) then once the forks have been shortened and you have an idea of what full compression load you need to replicate then cut the springs and set the oil height to give the desired result. i like the scientific approach.
    BalkanMoto likes this.

you could also cut the top of the tube to the length you want, then thread it to accept the fork cap. After that you put in a racetech spring which is already short and use a spacer to get the proper height and pre-load.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links