1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer - Page 3
Close

1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm you could also cut the top of the tube to the length you want, then thread it to accept the fork ...

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 1983 V45 Sabre Cafe Racer

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    you could also cut the top of the tube to the length you want, then thread it to accept the fork cap. After that you put in a racetech spring which is already short and use a spacer to get the proper height and pre-load.
    You could also leave the forks stock length and rebuild them properly and maintain the appropriate amount of ground clearance.
    woodsman likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    You could also leave the forks stock length and rebuild them properly and maintain the appropriate amount of ground clearance.
    Hey, if it hasn't seen an angle grinder, it ain't a cafe racer.

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    lol i didn't pull everything off just to slide the forks up and cut the tail. I am actually rebuilding everything. The forks' internals were shortened by 2", or rather shifted. Engine will get pulled out soon enough as well, taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled with new-ish components. The frame/electronics are all stripped because they will all be relocated. I am well aware that the 3 bikes i posted are more works of art than road legal motorcycles. My project will focus on the form first as well, but keep the function in mind in order to make it pass safety and get plated later on.

I do find it interesting however that there is so much hostility towards new projects on the forum. Given that cafe racers are at the end of the day custom motorcycles, that are primarily built to the liking of the builders themselves. So what looks "good" is very subjective. Either way not going to take this off topic.

Thank you for your input everybody, I appreciate any technical expertise and suggestions.
    Your picture shows a non functioning bike, tubes slid through the triple, an angle grinder on the ground and the framing chopped off. All signs indicate another artsy piece of shit. You could have sorted the entire bike, before you took anything off, so you know what you have. The up swept exhaust, that's where you want it, out of the road. If it was an actual cafe racer you were trying to emulate then suspension behaviour and exhaust dragging would be two areas to be addressed. You want to degrade the handling and drop the exhaust, which is more likely to drag with your shitty suspension. The circle of strife.

Most "custom builders" and especially those calling themselves "cafe racer builders" are producing garbage that isn't worth riding. Virtually none of it would pass a proper inspection in Ontario. The bike in your sketch will not certify, I know my insurance company wouldn't touch it and moreover it would be a real pileocrap to ride. All flash and fluff, no real stuff. The problem with cafe racers is "that are primarily built to the liking of the builders themselves" and the vast majority like what doesn't work.
    BalkanMoto likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. My purpose for posting on here was indeed to get technical expertise advice as I go through the process. Hence why i didn't just finish the bike and post a picture of the done product in the Pictures thread.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    as a curiosity, because i have an interest in suspension without any great knowledge, how did you do it?
    As for how i did it the video shows what was done to the internals. Right around 12:22 minute.

To summarize, the forks were already slid up into the triple tree about 2" from stock. I took them apart, cut a 3" piece off the main spring, used it to replace the rebound spring (a.k.a. shifting the resting depth of the fork), and cut a PVC spacer to make up the difference on top and add a little bit of extra preload. The forks do need new fork seals which i'll do further down the road, i want to sort out the engine first.

Here is a picture of one fork shortened and the other in its stock state and slid up to.
    Name:  IMG_20181013_145618.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  2.01 MB
    Last edited by BalkanMoto; 10-20-2018 at 08:35 AM.

AHHH, "The resting depth of the fork".

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    The only way the method I described would be appropriate is if you were shortening higher performance (but longer) forks in order to maintain geometry
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Post a picture of the crankcase damage. Do you have any idea how the damage occurred? Usually occurs because something really bad happened (like a brick wall). Begs the question... what else is damaged. Unrepaired frame damage? Remaining mounts cracked/damaged. To me, it makes no sense to spend money until you know exactly what you are dealing with.
    woodsman and BalkanMoto like this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

It is indeed a curious case of how the hell did that happen.
    Name:  G0090210.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  5.01 MB
    Name:  G0100213.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  3.70 MB
    Name:  G0110216.JPG
Size:  2.54 MB
    Name:  G0120217.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  4.20 MB

I was planning on buying one of these and completely replacing the bottom crank case of the engine:
    Name:  bottom_crankcase.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  25.7 KB

There does seem to be a slight dent on the frame on that corner. Based on everything else i saw on the bike I would not be surprised if the engine had been taken out and dropped on that mount point, and snapped off. Alternatively it could have been some sort of other high speed impact like Cyorg said. The remaining mounts are in good condition. When I bought the bike it did run and I did ride it home for about 2.5 hours (which in retrospective was probably one of the more stupid things i've ever done, given the condition of the bike). So it would appear that the damage is only external. Disassembly will show the full condition. I mean for $400 CAD one can't really expect much.

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanMoto View Post
    It is indeed a curious case of how the hell did that happen.
    Name:  G0090210.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  5.01 MB
    Name:  G0100213.JPG
Size:  3.70 MB
    Name:  G0110216.JPG
Size:  2.54 MB
    Name:  G0120217.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  4.20 MB

I was planning on buying one of these and completely replacing the bottom crank case of the engine:
    Name:  bottom_crankcase.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  25.7 KB

There does seem to be a slight dent on the frame on that corner. Based on everything else i saw on the bike I would not be surprised if the engine had been taken out and dropped on that mount point, and snapped off. Alternatively it could have been some sort of other high speed impact like Cyorg said. The remaining mounts are in good condition. When I bought the bike it did run and I did ride it home for about 2.5 hours (which in retrospective was probably one of the more stupid things i've ever done, given the condition of the bike). So it would appear that the damage is only external. Disassembly will show the full condition. I mean for $400 CAD one can't really expect much.
    The cases are machined as a set, so you have to replace them as a set. You would be better off finding a known good engine. Way way cheaper in the long run. Keep in mind this bike will not be worth anywhere near what you put into it if you rebuild that engine. Plus you need to learn about a lot of things before you even take that engine apart. You need to know what to look for and how to measure things.
    Read up on crank bearing selection just for starters.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Good point, i've entertained the idea of grabbing a working engine or even a parts bike. I'm willing to learn and I'm certainly not doing this for the profit of building a custom motorcycle and selling it. Profit is not at all why I got into this. I have a passion for motorcycles, for the countless hours spent in the garage covered in oil, for the overwhelming gasoline smell of carbureted motorcycles. So all in all I have the time (not in a hurry), I have the drive, and i am willing to learn.

I never thought about the fact that the cases are machined as a set. I did notice that all the ones for sale are sold as a set, and it didn't click in until now. Thanks for the insight.

I managed to finally pull the carbs apart with the exception of 1 of them.
    Name:  IMG_20181020_170710.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  3.81 MB

I got one of the screws that holds the air box bowl to the carbs mostly stripped. I soaked it with all sorts of things and it would still not budge. Any suggestions on how to remove it?
    Name:  IMG_20181020_171258.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  3.62 MB

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links