1974 CB 750 build
Close

1974 CB 750 build

This is a discussion on 1974 CB 750 build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi everyone, I had started a few threads asking questions etc and I appreciate everyone's advice. Figured Id create a thread for those who are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1974 CB 750 build

1974 CB 750 build

Hi everyone,

I had started a few threads asking questions etc and I appreciate everyone's advice. Figured Id create a thread for those who are interested in tagging along for the build.

I took everyone's advice and did not crack open the motor and rebuild. I sent it out for vapor blasting and received it back last night. It came out really nice, pulled off side covers etc which I will polish myself, I want to get the motor done and off to the side before starting on everything else.

Next Ill move onto the suspension, bike was turn into a 70's chopper, from everyone's feedback here they were able to identify that the rear rim was 16" and the front tubes were extended 4", Ive purchased the new parts needed to bring the front back to original size bought progressive springs to beef up the front a little and found an old 18" rim. Rebuild kits for brakes etc.

Not 100% what I'm going to do just yet, but I am going to keep original side covers through a air box back on it get it into good shape with a few updates and go from there. I was originally going to redo all wiring new oil tank but I dont really like the look of the big hole most modern cafe racers put into the bike, so again will keep side covers for now.

Few pictures below to show current status.
    Name:  IMG_1086.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  4.27 MBName:  IMG_1110.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  4.33 MBName:  IMG_1154.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  3.33 MBName:  IMG_1208.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  3.53 MB
    BalkanMoto likes this.

It looks like you have a solid plan on what to do. I have a few suggestions which will work with the plan you have outlined. Since you are rebuilding the whole front end, I would spend the time and money to dual disc the front brake system along with stainless brake lines and a modern master cylinder. I would also reverse the brake calipers and have them behind the sliders rather than in front. There are several good reasons for doing that. Replace the 19 front rim with a WM-3 aluminum one. I like Buchanan spokes. Replace the steering bearings with an All Balls tapered kit. Replace the swingarm bushings with some bronze ones. Go with superbike bars and some rearsets.

That should get you going and riding so you can make some more informed choices as you rack up some time in the saddle.

Good luck with the project.
    Norton 357 likes this.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

When you go to reinstall your nicely cleaned up engine into a nicely powder coated frame, you may want to install the frame onto the engine rather that wrestling the motor into the frame. You still need to protect the down tubes from the exhaust studs etc etc, but if you build a simple 2x4 cradle to hold the engine on its side, you can lower the naked frame over the engine, Still advisable (if doing it for the first time) to have a second pair of hands. This may sound odd, but installing those SOHC engines into the frame in the traditional way can be awkward, painful and scratch the shit out of everything. The frame is lighter, easier to hang onto and maneuver in all 14 directions at the same time.
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yup
    DSCN0714 by Sean Barney, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by seanbarney41 View Post
    yup
    DSCN0714 by Sean Barney, on Flickr
    Thank you! Extremely helpful bit of info. I hope mine looks as get as that when I get to this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post
    It looks like you have a solid plan on what to do. I have a few suggestions which will work with the plan you have outlined. Since you are rebuilding the whole front end, I would spend the time and money to dual disc the front brake system along with stainless brake lines and a modern master cylinder. I would also reverse the brake calipers and have them behind the sliders rather than in front. There are several good reasons for doing that. Replace the 19 front rim with a WM-3 aluminum one. I like Buchanan spokes. Replace the steering bearings with an All Balls tapered kit. Replace the swingarm bushings with some bronze ones. Go with superbike bars and some rearsets.

That should get you going and riding so you can make some more informed choices as you rack up some time in the saddle.

Good luck with the project.
    Thank you. I definitely plan on doing a few of the items you suggested, Im trying top pinch a few pennies on the front end suspension for right now, as I plan to upgrade the entire front end down the road.

Is it possible to reverse the brake caliper that is stock and what I have on the bike now? I was going to have the Disk drilled and would absolutely reverse that if possible, thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by EGBIII View Post
    I was going to have the Disk drilled ....

be careful about drilling that rotor - they are stainless and will chew through more than a few bits. you never have to worry about warping on them, so if you see a drilled used one for sale, buy it as it will be cheaper than doing it yourself. If you are paying someone to do it make sure they are a brake shop and have seen the rotor and quote you a price because most shops aren't equipped to drill through thick stainless (or surface them for that matter).
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

You could come away pretty cheap seeking out a well priced 750f front end to get you into dual rotors and a GL1000 wheel to get you your aluminum rim.

For cheap and using what you have, you can reverse the caliper and get it behind the fork leg. Just swap fork legs when you put it back together. To keep the speedo drive, you will also have to mount the disc to the other side of the front hub. If you are using the stock front fender you will need to drill out the rivets and reverse it on the fork/ fender brace and bolt it back on with some stainless button head screws. Look in the FAQ section on here as I posted on the Honda single piston brakes.
    I don't think a reversed caliper offers any improvement in braking, but does offer a theoretical improvement in handling.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links