1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build - Page 10
Close

1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

This is a discussion on 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman Always wondered that myself. IMHO it would depend on the clutch. I have one that is fairly notorious for shitty engagement.. ...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Always wondered that myself.
    IMHO it would depend on the clutch. I have one that is fairly notorious for shitty engagement.. as in all or nothing. I find that extremely annoying, so will sift through springs to get ones exactly the same length, or shim if necessary and then adjust the pressure plate so that when it is disengaged it is running perfectly true. Not sure I agree with Trials, that rear plate is cast aluminum and would be willing to wager that with a couple of springs that are twice as strong as the others it would flex. Cause a problem? Not in the short term. Cause uneven wear to the rear plate and rear fibre? Yes.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I never had much luck getting cast aluminum with complex shapes and flanges to bend, it usually just breaks into pieces on me. ymmv.

this is about what I would expect to see:
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-23-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    I reduced the number of HD springs from 4 to 2 and that seemed to do the trick. I also went back and reviewed what I purchased and my HD springs are rated for 110lbs. as the OEM are 49 lbs, I'm thinking having 4 of the HDs was simply too much pressure to overcome for the actuator. again, just my theory. which is why I dropped down to 2 HD springs and 4 standard springs. also purchased a shorter cable, which gave me more room to adjust. so, thanks for the input all.

If it was too much for the actuator, it would damage it. It is more likely a case of adjustment. You got it right when you replaced the cable. Not sure why anyone would want six 110 lb springs unless you were living at the drag strip and using an air shifter. With decent plates and new stock springs, properly adjusted those clutches will take a lot of shit.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I never had much luck getting cast aluminum with complex shapes and flanges to bend, it usually just breaks into pieces on me. ymmv.

Well at the moment, the only one of that type I have is buried in the bowels of of a GL500 and the likelihood of me having it on the bench is extremely slim.... unless I get really sick of swapping belts/pulleys on the mill and decide to rob the GL gearbox and use it instead of the belts. You “may” be right but willing to wager a cheeseburger. If and when I get one on the bench, I’ll get the DDG out and measure deflection at 110 vs 49. If I’m wrong, I’ll pop a cheeseburger in the mail for you.

BTW. Watch some Vtwin cast aluminum crankcases on a running engine with a strobe. It’ll make you want to head for the hills.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 04-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    . ... I’ll pop a cheeseburger in the mail for you. .
    is that a beef burger made with extra hormones,
    or meat like substitute materials made by a company that also produces nylon rope.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    is that a beef burger made with extra hormones,
    or meat like substitute materials made by a company that also produces nylon rope.
    Won't matter... either way, by the time the postman gets it to you, it will be unrecognizable. Don't want to highjack this fellow's thread anymore than I already have, but that fractured lifter plate.... I get the point you are making but.... I also know that is not your lifter plate because even though you spend you days prancing around the woods with a bucket of syrup, you know better than to remove all of the bolts one at a time until one remains and the plate snaps. Whoever did that should be sitting in the corner with that pointy hat on. Its not likely you would get much flex out of the lifter... the way its attached to the pressure plate and its ribbing would pretty much prevent that. Its the pressure plate (on the rear of the clutch pack) that would be more susceptible to uneven spring pressure. Could be that because its a multi plate and the way the clutch lifter and pressure plate are attached, grossly different spring pressures might not bother it that much, but still convinced it would flex enough to cause uneven wear.... and not a good idea in my opinion. You couldn't do that sort of thing with this or any other similar setup..... and if it was a little grabby from what I understand, the manufacturer would simply say "then just wind it up to 10 grand and let it rip"

Name:  Clutch.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  111.4 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    BTW. Watch some Vtwin cast aluminum crankcases on a running engine with a strobe. It’ll make you want to head for the hills.
    When I worked at Victory we flashed a strobe at the first dyno engine, though not at the cases so much as the heads. (Cases were billet on the first engine. Very stout) Holy cow, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. It was amazing how much they moved. IIRC it all started when I went to mark something on the airbox and could feel the lid hitting the pen well before it looked like the two were touching. One thing led to another and soon enough the strobe was out and the lights were off.

Mark Bader was the engine designer. When the first engine was going to be fired he said something along the lines of "This feels like when my first kid was born. Except back then I wasn't worried about anything blowing up"
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

I always wondered what sort of thought process would have triggered (for the first time) someone putting a strobe on an engine for that purpose. Then again, I wonder about the thought process that triggered the eating of the first Carolina Reaper and stranger yet... why a second one?

Even being billet, I would assume that they were still flexing a fair amount if the heads and barrels were swaying back and forth. I have a set of old British cases (sand cast) that seem like they might just as well be made from wood.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Meanwhile back to the OP.... These are for a Honda. Hanging on the wall and haven't opened them, so don't know what they are actually rated for. Package says 15% over stock which (assuming thats accurate) would give you about 56 each instead of the 110. My manual doesn't give a rating, just a service limit for free length. I would return or toss the 110's. 15% more with new plates and adjusted properly will likely do.

Name:  Clutch Springs.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  142.4 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Thanks everyone. worked thru the clutch issues and it's running well with no slippage. but, alas, that's the 900. back to my 750F conversion. hoping you all have some good input on this one. want to add an oil cooler to the set up. my stock SuperSport did not have one. first question; sandwich style conversion, or go with the CB750c oil pan and run with that? Second question; any recommendations on oil coolers you've had success with in your builds? Lastly, do I really need to do something with my oil pump? if so, what's the recommendation? thanks.
    Last edited by tjurek51; 05-02-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links