1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build - Page 13
Close

1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

This is a discussion on 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by TrialsRider When you talk about lines and stuff you totally lose me, I'm a function over form kinda rider :| and for ...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    When you talk about lines and stuff you totally lose me, I'm a function over form kinda rider :| and for me either of those saddles would force me too far forward on the bike, which would make it less functional. Motorcycles that have a seat/tail like that would also have a longer fuel tank.
    or you are way tiny then me and ride weird.
    I hear ya... form over function

Here are two line mockups.

One w a smaller seat

Another w a front Cowl that would make that current seat fit the build.

Either way excited to see where you take it!

Name:  front_cowl.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  278.5 KB
    Name:  tail2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  275.9 KB

Now draw a vertical line through the rear shock top bolt, that is about how far you are likely going to need to slide your butt back.

this will have a 3/4 fairing on the front. 2 light style. but based on Trailrider's comments and these pics, I may go with the longer version of this seat. TBD, but thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Don't do it because I said so, do what makes sense for you to ride it
    Your saddle should probably start about 24 inches back from the steering head bolt and extend to about 36 inches back from the steering head bolt to where your bum hits a back stop. How close is your saddle to that now?

from steering head bolt to the back edge of gas tank is 25". from there to where my "bum" sits is 35". that's if I keep the seat flush to the tank. my though is to move the seat back 1" and leave a gap which I could fill by extending the seat padding 1" beyond the end of the seat pan. as the seat padding will be custom, I think they can do that. I've seen examples of this where it looks pretty good.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Some day you are going to bump up against that hump hard and your ass is going to thank me for the extra inch lol and that sounds totally perverted but I'm too lazy to reword it.

with the rear suspension fully bottomed out ,i think the seat then should be moved back to have an inch clearance to the tire
    this would be at the radius curve as seat platform curves upward
    then you can put a nice firm but ample layer of cushion on it

Still delayed in getting in for the frame work, so thought i'd work on the electronics box under the seat. First take was a bit of a miss. But at least it provided me with a template for a better template. Take 2 involved much more measurements and thought processing.

Name:  electronics box_take2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  electronics box_take2_b.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  69.2 KB

There will be a 3rd take before etching it onto metal and cutting it out. i'm trying to make it with as few seams as possible, since part of it will be hanging down. Question for the experts; aluminum or steel. i'm thinking aluminum for ease of working with and weight. but never having created one of these, maybe steal for better grounding?

I ain’t no expert, but either way is fine. Personally I would make it out of aluminum, but doesn’t really matter. They use aluminum for wiring , so grounding isn’t an issue. You can get some festering between copper and aluminum connections, so if you go that route, get a tube of this goo at your local hardware store.

Ps... making templates to make templates to make patterns is normal. You can use a hot glue gun to hold pieces of patterns together, then once sorted, you can use it to make a proper pattern. My daughter in-law thinks I’m into arts and crafts....
    Name:  2E7A6D61-B943-4FD8-A7B2-91D592416EEA.jpeg
Size:  1.09 MB
    Last edited by Cyorg; 08-20-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    Still delayed in getting in for the frame work, so thought i'd work on the electronics box under the seat. First take was a bit of a miss. But at least it provided me with a template for a better template. Take 2 involved much more measurements and thought processing.

Name:  electronics box_take2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  electronics box_take2_b.jpg
Size:  69.2 KB

There will be a 3rd take before etching it onto metal and cutting it out. i'm trying to make it with as few seams as possible, since part of it will be hanging down. Question for the experts; aluminum or steel. i'm thinking aluminum for ease of working with and weight. but never having created one of these, maybe steal for better grounding?
    are you having it made or are u making it yourself?
    sounds like you are having it made because if you were going to build and weld yourself, you would already know what you are capable of.

steel is easier to weld, can be welded to frame to simplify mounting, more reliable ground (?).
    but steel requires coating/painting/anodizing to prevent rust.

alumium is lighter...

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Sponsored Links