1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build - Page 7
Close

1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

This is a discussion on 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ha, just opened the bikeme link to find the author also recommends tony's article. btw the ignition they used can be found here Electronic for ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

ha, just opened the bikeme link to find the author also recommends tony's article. btw the ignition they used can be found here Electronic for motorbikes - IgniTech P?elou? its the TCIP4

And don't let them cut the fucking guide off below the surface of the port.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Alrighty then... Performance parts have started to arrive. Still waiting on the camshafts, pistons and rods as these are fabricate to order parts.
    Name:  Performance Parts.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.09 MB

Let the tear down begin...
    Name:  Breakdown_1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  2.20 MBName:  breakdown_2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  2.38 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

We don't even need to see your face to see the kid on Christmas morning grin. That much new fun in a pile of boxes, I'll bet for a while you forgot all about the Visa bill that will follow them home. Yes I'm jealous Ohlins and Keihin are two of my favourite words.
    Name:  Performance Parts.jpg
Size:  1.76 MB

Small detail, but when you go to replace those studs, keep in mind that the rear ones get very close to the main oil gallery that goes across the upper case. It isn't unheard of to have a bit of porosity in the case in that area. If so, oil will find its way up the threads of the stud and down the front of your cases. That could spoil your fun seeing it happen on a fresh rebuild.... plus some folk assume its the base gasket leaking and that can lead to further heartache. It was common on the first batch of the DOHC 4's and the CBX as well. The factory started using thread sealant and the problem went away. So... make sure you use thread "sealant" not thread locker. I use stuff from Loctite, if I can find (and still read the # on the tube), I'll post it. All I remember at the moment is what it smells like and it stinks.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

thanks! Thread sealant was a primary recommendation of this group on my last build. so, will continue to follow that advice.

this stuff does make me smile. but i'm pretty jazzed about the new electronic ignition system you see there. and yes, that CR Keihin... looking that over and noticed a lot less of the bullshit you find on the CVs; no drain plugs, hoses, etc. The big grin, however, will come when I unbox those shiny pistons and rods.

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    thanks! Thread sealant was a primary recommendation of this group on my last build. so, will continue to follow that advice.
    Last build ?..... sorry for repeating myself. I didn't realize you were the fellow that tackled that 900C. How did it end up BTW.... as far as the chain part goes?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Chain conversion turned out "ok." chain travel is relatively unencumbered, and I've installed a chain guard on the pivot point to protect everything (in place of a chain tensioner). put newer wheels on and have put about 50 miles on it without an issue. overall, i'm happy with the outcome, but right now, it sits in front of me to remind me of what NOT to do with this build. here's a picture of the finished project.

Name:  Final_back.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  2.17 MBName:  Final_Front.jpg
Size:  2.40 MBName:  Final_Left.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  2.48 MBName:  Final_right.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.70 MB

Ews
    I fucking love the black and gold, well done sir
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links