1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build - Page 9
Close

1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

This is a discussion on 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; That is kind of weird that Barnett would sell springs and plates that aren't compatible. The springs get coil bound, so no room to release? ...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

That is kind of weird that Barnett would sell springs and plates that aren't compatible. The springs get coil bound, so no room to release? That would become evident when you tried to pull in the clutch lever... as in not much travel.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

lever feels good after I removed the slack from the adjusting screw. I move the screw in until it made contact with the push plate.

sorry, I confused you all. I put stock plates on the 900 with HD springs. nothing Barnett is going on the 900; the Barnett's I'm saving for the 750. the HD springs are pretty heavy weight compression-wise. so not sure if they are coil bound or not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

How long has it been sitting? Plates just stuck together maybe? Not something those clutches are really prone to, but can happen.

I'm in a constant state of confusion anyway.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

On my CB750 chopper, I run two HD springs and two stock springs so I can get a bit more clutch, but not so much that I end up with a left arm like Rod Laver.

thanks Irk. follow up question; my Honda has 6 springs. if I only run 2 and leave the other 4 stock, will the clutch plates wear unevenly? or does that not matter in the grand scheme of things?

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    thanks Irk. follow up question; my Honda has 6 springs. if I only run 2 and leave the other 4 stock, will the clutch plates wear unevenly? or does that not matter in the grand scheme of things?
    Always wondered that myself.

jcw
    A clutch is pretty basic. Pull the clutch and the hub separates from the basket allowing the plates to slide.
    Stiffer or softer springs dont determine the "release" point that allows the clutch to disengage. At least I have not noticed much.
    I would check mechanism that translates the clutch wire pull to push rod movement. Maybe something fell out...
    Last edited by jcw; 04-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.

I reduced the number of HD springs from 4 to 2 and that seemed to do the trick. I also went back and reviewed what I purchased and my HD springs are rated for 110lbs. as the OEM are 49 lbs, I'm thinking having 4 of the HDs was simply too much pressure to overcome for the actuator. again, just my theory. which is why I dropped down to 2 HD springs and 4 standard springs. also purchased a shorter cable, which gave me more room to adjust. so, thanks for the input all.

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    The plate and basket the springs push against are not very flexible so I can't see warpage as such happening but I'm inclined to think that the heavy springs will be doing all the work and the light ones practically nothing. I would be going 3 and 3 for better distribution of the forces, at least then you won't be trying to fold parts in half.
    You guys are going to absolutely love Hydraulic brake controls after dealing with cable clutches.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links