1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build
Close

1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

This is a discussion on 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Here's the base for this project; a 1980 Honda CB750F Supersport. it has 13,400 miles on it. was restored two owners ago and generally a ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

Cool 1980 Honda CB750F Cafe Build

Here's the base for this project; a 1980 Honda CB750F Supersport.

Name:  profilepic14430_1_gif.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  11.5 KB

it has 13,400 miles on it. was restored two owners ago and generally a great bike. I've been riding it now for about 5 years. and yes, I don't put too many miles on it each season.

For those who followed my previous build of a 1982 CB900C, you know I pretty much did everything NOT by the book. That project was a budget build and ultimately turned out ok. it was a great learning experience even though I had to take alot of sh!t, er...heart felt criticisms for the things I did.

For this project, I plan to do things much differently. First off, please note this will NOT be a budget build. I intend to make some pretty cool modifications to the engine and overall look and feel to bring this to a much different place. Still planning it out, so stay tuned, if you're interested. if you have any ideas or recommendations, please let me know.

PS. another poster to a different CB750F build said this, "...I just wish people would stop ruining motorcycles in the name of art. If you are going to tear into a perfectly good motorcycle, do it to make it go faster." To be clear, making it go faster is exactly what i'm going to do!
    Last edited by tjurek51; 11-27-2018 at 07:34 PM.

jcw
    I'm too lazy to search. Can you post a pic how the last bike turned out?

Nevermind. I remember... the carb tuning thread. How's it running???

Quote Originally Posted by tjurek51 View Post
    Here's the base for this project; a 1980 Honda CB750F Supersport.

Name:  profilepic14430_1_gif.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  11.5 KB

it has 13,400 miles on it. was restored two owners ago and generally a great bike. I've been riding it now for about 5 years. and yes, I don't put too many miles on it each season.

For those who followed my previous build of a 1982 CB900C, you know I pretty much did everything NOT by the book. That project was a budget build and ultimately turned out ok. it was a great learning experience even though I had to take alot of sh!t, er...heart felt criticisms for the things I did.

For this project, I plan to do things much differently. First off, please note this will NOT be a budget build. I intend to make some pretty cool modifications to the engine and overall look and feel to bring this to a much different place. Still planning it out, so stay tuned, if you're interested. if you have any ideas or recommendations, please let me know.

PS. another poster to a different CB750F build said this, "...I just wish people would stop ruining motorcycles in the name of art. If you are going to tear into a perfectly good motorcycle, do it to make it go faster." To be clear, making it go faster is exactly what i'm going to do!
    Last edited by jcw; 11-27-2018 at 08:23 PM.

methinks turned out ok is a fairly flexible figure of speech.
    woodsman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The CB 900 project carbs required a larger primary jet. It seems to be running well now. if you consider stable at 110 mph, with power to spare running well. I guess I do...
    Last edited by tjurek51; 12-08-2018 at 06:31 AM.

First question for the group; I've seen inline 4 carbs swapped out for a 2 carb system, with aluminum intake manifolds, etc. what's the pro's and cons of this, from a performance and efficiency standpoint? better or worse than the inline 4 carbs?

Pretty sure ANY number of carburetors can work, the goal is to achieve the optimum fuel to air ratio at all times, provide effective atomization of the liquids with the air and the rest of the system is designed to flow that fuel air mixture into the combustion chamber effectively. One carb per cylinder works pretty good at that task, one carb and a supercharger for a whole bank of cylinders works pretty good too! ymmv.

In the case of your bike, imho you have 4 of what I would consider to be marginal CV type carburetors, those are the epitome of carburetor evolution and complexity to approach the low pollution emissions your bike is suppose to be spewing, they sorta worked pretty good when they were brand new and fuel injection was not an option. All you guys are doing when you refit over-sized jets and free flow pods & exhausts on the stock CV carbs is reversing the pollution control aspects the thing was designed for <- to economically manufacture a motorcycle that runs as lean as physically possible throughout its operating range. :| a street bikes operating range is not wide full open throttle, it's not constant idle and it's absolutely Not blipping a non-loaded engine, it is good even throttle response all the way from idle to top speed in any given gear.

Does your bike currently give you good even throttle response all the way from idle to top speed in any given gear and does it return to mid-range or idle nicely, or does it hesitate, lag, pop and fart all over the place?
    dirkchecken likes this.

Last edited by woodsman; 12-08-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

Here:

I pulled prices from Dynoman in Texas because they're a good business that I've used before.

DYNOMAN PERFORMANCE - Motorcycle Performance Parts

Stage 3 *750**Package:*

-*Wiseco K985*Piston Kit (890cc)
    - DP*Cylinder Sleeve*set
    -*WebCam #110*Hardweld Camshafts**
    - DP EP1 Extra Plate*Clutch Kit
    - KPMI Racing*Valve Springs
    - KPMI Shim Under*Cam Follower*set
    - KPMI*Titanium Retainer*set
    - 2x DP 9.48mm*Valve Shim Kit
    -*Viton*Valve Guide Seals
    - CFM-20*Head Gasket
    - Viton Coated RCS*Base Gasket

$2500

CR carbs (with the big bore kit I'm not sure what size you'd want)

$1200

Kerker exhaust

$1100

So at least $5k worth of parts for the motor, and that's not including machine work (you'd be crazy not to include a port/polish etc while you're in there).

A decent suspension setup front and rear is between $700 to $1500

If you do it right, it will cost a lot, but it will be amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    ... but it will be amazing
    at the drag strip.

With a proper suspension and frame bracing, why wouldn't it perform on the track?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links