Yahama XV 535 - Cafe project
Close

Yahama XV 535 - Cafe project

This is a discussion on Yahama XV 535 - Cafe project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello - My name is Noel, and I recently joined this forum. I did search through the forum to see if my specific questions had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Yahama XV 535 - Cafe project

Question Yahama XV 535 - Cafe project

Hello - My name is Noel, and I recently joined this forum. I did search through the forum to see if my specific questions had been answered - no luck

Recently got my licens, and bought an Yamaha XV535. Been riding it for a while, and I think it's time to change it up a bit. Always been fond of bikes, and the cafe racer look. At the beginning I will be investing in a new tank (Benelli) and a solo seat. Planning on removing the rear end, and replacing lights. My question here is, is there anyway to replace the pedals? They are sitting at the tank, and that would make a very uncomfortable position.

Here is a few pictures of my bike as it currently is, to help you get a better idea

Name:  Entire bike.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Half the bike.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  120.5 KB

Anything is possible. Relocating the pedals / rearsets is going to require some fabrication skills, most likely some welding.
    I suggest you do a thorough Google search of images of your bike and similar models, to see how others have done it. Once it's clear to you how it's been done, have a good look at your bike up close, and go through the steps in your head, to get an idea of all the components and their new positions, and get a grasp of what exactly needs to be accomplished. It's not rocket science, but does take careful consideration and foresight. After these steps, you'll have a better idea if it's a job you want to tackle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You have a decent looking bike there Noel. For me, that's as good as it gets for a 500 Virago (or whatever it is). You can chop shit off and throw money at parts and it will still be a basic, cheap bike. Ride and maintain the bike, but leave it alone. The reality is you don't want a Virago or else you wouldn't be changing shit, especially trying to make it something it can't be. If you want to assemble a quick, agile, fun to be on, motorcycle...a true "Cafe Racer", then you need a proper starting point. You shouldn't need to tear it all apart or cut things off. It doesn't need to big displacement but it needs to be more mustang less mule.
    540nova and Geeto67 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hi Noel, be careful not to fall into the same trap that so many others do; you want a cafe racer, you bought a cruiser, that's a lot like buying a cow and trying to turn it into a good riding horse, at some point you will come to the realization you should have sold the cow and bought a horse.
    540nova likes this.

I should add, as you are new to this, you are not going to be "investing" in a new tank, you are buying a depreciating part. Buy rear sets to put on, they are worth at least 30% less before they are installed.

Yea you've heard all the right stuff here. It was designed and engineered to be a cruiser. Anything you do is swimmin up stream for no reason. Enjoy what you have or sell it and buy something closer to what you want and go from there.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Strongly agree with the above responses, which is probably what I should have said from the beginning.
    Plus, if you're asking how to relocate foot controls, you're probably not ready to tackle a tank and seat swap, unless someone makes direct bolt-on replacements.
    Everyone has to start somewhere, but you will save yourself time, money, aggravation, and disappointment if you sell that, and buy something closer to your final vision.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks All. Was told Virago was a perfect mc for building cafe racers, and I have done some research, and seen nice café racers build from Viragos. I hear what you are saying, and I appreciate the fast responses.

Every guy that ever hacked up a virago thinks they "built" something special, I've yet to see one worth riding. I'm gathering that your research was into bikes that generally the members of this forum would consider fools gold. You have to search a vast number of pages on Google to find one quality, functional, "cafe racer" and a virago, well that would be like seeing a Unicorn.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

Ews
    It's a good idea to do some research on a bike before buying it for a Cafe project. And then when you do find something you like, make sure you dont get overly excited and buy something like a KZ440 when you were looking for a KZ400 LOL. Like others have stated before me, you can do anything you want to the bike, but some things will be more work than they are worth and never function like you want them too.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links