650 Nighthaul Tea Racer - Page 2
Close

650 Nighthaul Tea Racer

This is a discussion on 650 Nighthaul Tea Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; If you are going to incorporate some sort of right angle drive, can't you use the bikes existing final drive somehow? Sounds like you have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 650 Nighthaul Tea Racer

If you are going to incorporate some sort of right angle drive, can't you use the bikes existing final drive somehow? Sounds like you have to much going on there. What about using the existing final drive from the bike and extend the drive shaft to a home made rear axle. Go to the junk yard and get a viscus coupler ( out of something like and old CRV) to use on the rear axle, so the wheels can move at different speeds when cornering. Not sure how well that would work out with gearing, but smaller rear wheels would help. I assume you aren't going to use it as a skidder. Somewhere on the driveline (drive shaft or rear axle) you can add the Rube Goldburg reverse mechanism. You need a neighbour with a mill and a lathe.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

you will want to calculate your gearing
    that is make sure it is geared opently low,like 75mph top speed in 6th at redline
    see the motorbike clutch is going to be i9n severe service compared to its design
    you cant use a lot of speed anyway so having first gear like a granny gear will be va beautiful thing
    then for reverse and for a selection of speed ranges,say the datsun rear doesnt give you nice low gearing
    well you can kill birds with stones
    you need to source a smallish gearbox from a rear wheel drive automobile app
    have your machinist fab up a nose housing with bearing and seal to support the input shaft normally supported by the automobile engines crankshaft via the pilot bushing

whith this gearbox mounted somewhere between hawk output and datsun rearend you get reverse and choice of reduction ratios to use
    have ing the auto gearbox in top gear is 1 to 1 b

Car tranny sounds like a good plan, solves the big hurdles. Ideally you could let out the clutch when it's loaded and walk along beside it, a bull low gear. If it will haul a reasonable load at 50mph, that'll work. Knobby on the front rim, set of mud/snows on the back and a dump box all in a 44" wide package. how could it not be useful.
    XB33BSA likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Well with two transmissions, you'll certainly have lots of choices. In your neck of the woods, there must be lots of ATV's and snowmobiles. Maybe some sort of gearbox from one of them? I know nothing about snowmobiles or ATVs other than the the grunt used to have to pressure wash the moose guts off them before they were dragged into the shop. That was the time of year I fucked off to find a winter job.

Maybe something along these lines? BTW.... Aren't you supposed to be working on the #breakingbadmobile or am I confusing you with one of the other bush people?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Polari...IAAOSwPA1cR5XN
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Well with two transmissions, you'll certainly have lots of choices. In your neck of the woods, there must be lots of ATV's and snowmobiles. Maybe some sort of gearbox from one of them? I know nothing about snowmobiles or ATVs other than the the grunt used to have to pressure wash the moose guts off them before they were dragged into the shop. That was the time of year I fucked off to find a winter job.

Maybe something along these lines? BTW.... Aren't you supposed to be working on the #breakingbadmobile or am I confusing you with one of the other bush people?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Polari...IAAOSwPA1cR5XN
    I didn't get the Travco into the Chipboard Palace before winter set in so no progress was made on it. The approach to my building was never intended for something that long and with icy ground it's just asking for trouble, I'll get it in once things thaw. The rebuilding of it is going to take a couple years and I didn't want to get it on blocks and then need to move it, so I shifted shit around in the Palace over the winter. Now I can roll it into it's space and when I get to the fibreglass and paint work I can build a stud wall booth around it and exhaust to a filter outside the building.

There is still a lot of work to be done inside but the Chipboard Palace is a good sized structure. It's not industrial grade equipment but I've got areas set up for woodwork, metal work, cleanup and painting. There's a space that's a finishing room/mancave, where you can arrive do mechanical shit while watching tv and having a beer and leave clean. If it's a personal project I give it a working space where everything for it is there. If it is something I bought to make money with I don't touch it until I am ready to complete it. I like old bikes and flip several a year but that's just screwin round.

ON THE TRANNY. Actually I'm pretty well versed in sleds and ATV/UTV running gear and considered both as well as the bikes own system, too much fucking around. The Datsun rear end/leaf spring set up makes building the framework pretty easy. I'm going to see what's around that would work for XB's tranny idea, seems to simple and sensible not to be the solution.

I can't find any info on it, I believe the output shaft rotates clockwise. Can anyone confirm this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links