650 Nighthaul Tea Racer
Close

650 Nighthaul Tea Racer

This is a discussion on 650 Nighthaul Tea Racer within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; A bunch of years ago at an auction I bought an '83 650 Nighthawk that I didn't really want. I had seen/heard a guy ride ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 650 Nighthaul Tea Racer

650 Nighthaul Tea Racer

A bunch of years ago at an auction I bought an '83 650 Nighthawk that I didn't really want. I had seen/heard a guy ride it around the parking lot, click through a couple gears, it ran well, decent cosmetics. The other guy that didn't want it started the bidding at $25 and wouldn't go past $75, I bought it for $100. I never touched it and other than the odd trip through the woods to neighbours it just sits. Not enough into it to bother selling and not worth putting money into.

A couple days ago I was looking for old dresser knobs in the gold room when I had a blinding flash of the obvious. With my trusty Nighthawk and the equally valuable Datsun rear end, I had just tripped over I could build a Tea Racer.
    Name:  Kavaki-Gas-Powered-Tricycle-Motorcycle-Bajaj-Pulsar.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  344.5 KB

I have been looking at how to make it reverse. I can find reversers for drag cars and such that will work, they're British engineer/build, so "say no more". On Alibaba, the Chinese manufacturers amazon, I find the units they use in their Tea Racers but the input/output shafts are at 90 degrees to each other. I need something linear...don't I?
    Name:  800cc-OEM-power-engine-transmission-gearbox-engine.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  120.7 KB

I would appreciate the segue "what the fuck is the matter with you" or similar if I am missing something obvious with the Chinese unit.

I was looking for one in the US. I see lots of trike builders but they seem to only sell complete kits.

Anyone with experience on shaft drive trikes?
    CaTacL1sm and TrialsRider like this.

if you are keeping the chain drive, mount an electric motor with a sprocket connected to the chain, hook it to a momentary switch on the handlebar. When you want to reverse: shift the bike into neutral and hit the momentary switch and the electric motor will back you up. I am assuming with this "tea racer" you are going to want to run a bigger battery anyway, plus the e-motor can act as a spare alternator when it isn't reversing if you wire it right.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Shaft drive nighthawk, probably a flaw in the initial plan. However you having said that it becomes pretty obvious that the Chinese box I posted is made for a chain drive bike.

So it'll be shaft from the bike to a Datsun roadster rear end. Electric ram for the dump and shitty charging from the bike so I'll put a couple battery boxes and a switch on it.
    Name:  3680940_orig.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  239.8 KB

Any idea how they do the shaft trikes in the good ole USA?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yeah the home made ones I have seen use an offset solid axle diff from the front axle of a small 4wd (like a suzuki samurai) with the long side shortened. Then the rider just walks it back when they need to back up.

but most just buy a kit like the grinnal or something.

Home | Grinnall Trikes | http://www.grinnalltrikes.com

I think there is a guy in the UK that does shaft to chain conversions.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Turn it into a fish and chip wagon or something cool like that and ride it to bike rally's or races you might make a killing with it

The Grinnall is a nice looking trike.

I should have mentioned that it's just for utility and whatever silly things we find to use it for. If it has a box with racks and a slow moving vehicle sign it'll be fine anywhere it would go.

It would definitely be easier with a chain drive. Do think there is a fortune to be made for the world leaders in reverse transmission technology applicable to obsolete motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Turn it into a fish and chip wagon or something cool like that and ride it to bike rally's or races you might make a killing with it
    Or Sir, you can have that Rickman you always wanted, maybe two. Tonight, for the first time at Nighthaul Industries, we are opening the doors of opportunity to a few select clients. If you e transfer us a deposit of only $10,000 you can start to design your future. With our engineering department dreams are everyday happenings and you could be dreaming with them. In our BSX 4200 (pictured below) your chip wagon dreams can come true .
    Name:  Motorized-tricycles-electric-motor-cabin-cargo-tricycle.png
Views: 73
Size:  477.9 KB

This would be exceptional but I would dress it up as milk delivery. Apparently they get laid allot from all the whispers I hear about my different hair and eyes colour.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

I've been doing some mental engineering on the TR and I think I have a solution for the drive system.

I can connect the output shaft on the motor to a 90 degree 1:1 gear case from something agricultural, like the unit on a small flail mower. A sprocket on the output from the 90, chain to sprocket input on the reverse box. Then shaft from reverse output to rear diff. Not the most efficient system but it should be easier to put the whole thing together. I can centre the bike on the rear diff and then do the alignment with the sprocket shafts. The other advantage I see is that it will allow me a way to change the gear ratio.

Flail mower gear box, spline shaft input
    Name:  S2001_PROLUNGA_Scatole.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  126.9 KB.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    This would be exceptional but I would dress it up as milk delivery. Apparently they get laid allot from all the whispers I hear about my different hair and eyes colour.
    You might want to get a good magazine and a roll of toilet paper while you're waiting for those milk orders to roll in. We could however custom build for Stevie J's Pool Services.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links