SR185 Tank Replacement - Page 2
Close

SR185 Tank Replacement

This is a discussion on SR185 Tank Replacement within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I think you should build a kickass SR185 Cafe Scrambler that puts me to shame...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SR185 Tank Replacement

I think you should build a kickass SR185 Cafe Scrambler that puts me to shame

Quote Originally Posted by Ditchnickburn View Post
    Haha honestly this is the most negative forum.

I asked about a tank, not whether or not you guys approved.

Cheers.
    Just offered an opinion to someone that sounded new to working on bikes, before they wasted a bunch of time and money. As far as a tank goes I'd use a Sherman.
    Stephen J likes this.

Appreciate the opinions, but if everyone works off the same model of bike all the time life’s a bit dull eh.

yes I totally agree, seasoned veteran fabricators and experienced custom bike mechanics should branch out and do different bikes because they have the skills to do that and it does keep it interesting.

You know who shouldn't do that? people on their first project trying to learn the basic skills of customizing a motorcycle. Why? because the learning curve is too steep and the opportunity for success is very small. Having an aftermarket for parts is a huge advantage for first timers because it lets them get their projects back on track by fixing their mistakes by buying new parts. If you are working on a bike that no one loves (or even likes) and there are no parts for it and you fuck up making something you have to go back to square one (if you can) and start again, and if the fuckup is particularly bad you have to spend 3 times the money to do it.

That doesn't mean this bike doesn't have things to teach you. Just getting it running, safe, rideable, and presentable stock-ish should get you to the basic skills of what is needed to start thinking about modifying a custom motorcycle.

so pull your head out of your arse and stop being too ambitious for your own good and make the bike run, ride, and have shiny paint - and then sell it and buy something you can then start to modify.

Haha honestly this is the most negative forum.

I asked about a tank, not whether or not you guys approved.

Cheers.
    It's not that we are negative, it's that you are too ambitious for your skill set, and too in-experienced to realize it. You don't want to hear the opinion of seasoned veterans who are saying "hey, slow your roll and maybe re-adjust your expectations so you learn things the right way" because it doesn't bring you instant gratification or feed your ego that this was a good idea. So, if you are unwilling to listen to the advice that you came here for - then why are you here? so we can validate your poor decision making? hard pass.

how about this?
    make the bike run, ride, stop and work stock. Once it does that - take it apart and paint the frame and address all the cosmetic issues that it may need. Lean how to reseal the engine, rebuild carbs, diagnose and fix wiring, change tires, re-lace wheels, paint, re-upholster, etc. All the basic skills one needs to say they can work on an old motorcycle. saavy?
    Last edited by Geeto67; 04-12-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    TrialsRider and woodsman like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Bottom line from an operational standpoint; if your fuel tank is rubber mounted, holds adequate fuel volume, doesn't pollute the fuel with rust or leak at the seams, has a decent sealing filler cap and appropriate venting, it's good to go. From an aesthetics standpoint yours was intentionally built to look like a chopper peanut tank and if you didn't want that look :/ why did you buy that bike?
    The fuel tank on any motorcycle is a very expensive piece of bodywork to replace.

What fuel tank will fit right on there now: the one that came on it.
    What alternative fuel tank would fit right on there without modification or complications arising: none
    Is a steel peanut tank a well designed and constructed fuel tank for a performance motorcycle application: Not particularly! steel fuel tanks are relatively heavy and rust. While a steel tank will take a huge dent and possibly still not leak :/ they look like crap with a big dent in the side, I have one of those from a TS185 if you want it come and get it for free.

Are you looking to put a Benelli Mojave knock-off tank on there instead? <- if everyone works off the same model fuel tank all the time life’s a bit dull eh
    Geeto67 and woodsman like this.

Haha this whole thing is classic internet.

Nope - ended up mounting a Honda tank. Re-welded the tank bracket slightly and fabricated new mounts which are slightly forward and down of the original.

Cheers guys.

you never mentioned that you have fabricating skillz

Haha this whole thing is classic internet.

Nope - ended up mounting a Honda tank. Re-welded the tank bracket slightly and fabricated new mounts which are slightly forward and down of the original.

Cheers guys.
    Haha, Bullshit

Ya guys smarten up, how come none of you thought about putting a Honda tank on a Yamaha.

Honda styled - its aftermarket - sorry probably should have explained that better. I'm a mig/tig welder by trade.

In that case you should have welded up a monocoque chassis from scratch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links