1979 Suzuki GS750 cafe project - Page 2
Close

1979 Suzuki GS750 cafe project

This is a discussion on 1979 Suzuki GS750 cafe project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by MasonTH It's the E series. I bought the original tank on ebay last night as well. Bike doesn't run, will be doing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1979 Suzuki GS750 cafe project

Quote Originally Posted by MasonTH View Post
    It's the E series. I bought the original tank on ebay last night as well. Bike doesn't run, will be doing carbs tomorrow to see if I can get some life into it!
    NOPE, that's a 1979 GS750L - the 16" rear wheel and leading axle front forks are a dead give away. It's fitting that you bought the proper GS750L tank for it too even if it didn't come with it.

The good news is that aside from the rear wheel, there isn't much different than the GS750E.
    woodsman likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Fwiw, I would finish the street tracker project someone else started with it and have something like this (and yes I know this is a cb750 and yours is a GS but there aren't a lot of I4 street trackers around):

Name:  IMGP3155-L.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  195.2 KB

A laguna style tail, a headlight/numberplate setup, a small mudgaurd attached to a big fork brace, and those slideaway bars. call it a day and send it!!!!
    TrialsRider likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    NOPE, that's a 1979 GS750L - the 16" rear wheel and leading axle front forks are a dead give away. It's fitting that you bought the proper GS750L tank for it too even if it didn't come with it.

The good news is that aside from the rear wheel, there isn't much different than the GS750E.
    titles can be wrong I suppose. good to know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MasonTH View Post
    titles can be wrong I suppose. good to know.
    Yes they can. many states in that time period still registered by the engine number, some of them even titled by when the bike was sold new (so a left over 1979 could be titled as a 1980 if it was sold in 1980). It wasn't until 1981 that the NHTSA standardized VIN's into the 17 digit format and the title to reflect manufactured model year and the VIN on the frame of the vehicle (many bikes weren't even manufactured with a frame VIN until 1971 - harleys, some british bikes, some europeans, etc).

I would check what number your title matches - the frame or the engine. If it is the frame, then someone just misstated the model on the title when it was issued. If it is the engine then well...you can put that engine in any frame you want and have a titled bike. I cant' remember if it was suzuki or honda but one of them used to put an E in every engine number to signify engine number. Super Fun fact: your engine number and Frame number don't match and wouldn't match from the factory, there was no requirement that they match until sometime in the mid 1980's.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Number plates instead of lights and no front brake that's no street tracker that's the real thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links