Cafe Racer Forum banner

1979 Suzuki GS750 cafe project

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TrialsRider 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought this for 400$ last night. will post updates as we go! Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

See less See more
#11 ·
NOPE, that's a 1979 GS750L - the 16" rear wheel and leading axle front forks are a dead give away. It's fitting that you bought the proper GS750L tank for it too even if it didn't come with it.

The good news is that aside from the rear wheel, there isn't much different than the GS750E.

#5 ·
Oh my :| hopefully it included a basket of parts?
The tires would imply the P.O. was attempting to create a humongous dirt tracker, in which case they might as well have discarded the front brakes completely. Or more likely a bobber chop, in which case putting money into new lug tires was a dumb idea before they had a running motor. What are you hoping to do with it?

#6 · (Edited)
First bike! Its mainly for the project side of things, I just went through a separation and wanted something to focus on.

I would like to see where the original tank settles down, hopefully I wont have to do frame work to have a lower profile seat look nice... straight lines on café racers inspired me, I would like to see a clean line from the bottom of the tank to the tail, but if that's not possible I can deal. will be getting lighter tires for sure..

going to powder the frame in the coming weeks once I figure out if I need to mod it at all.

#7 · (Edited)
... hopefully I wont have to do frame work to have a lower profile seat look nice... straight lines on café racers inspired me, I would like to see a clean line from the bottom of the tank to the tail, but if that's not possible I can deal. will be getting lighter tires for sure..

going to powder the frame in the coming weeks once I figure out if I need to mod it at all.
I can tell you right now; this is maybe not the best place to find assistance with creating a riderless indoor art project out of scrap motorcycle parts and putting expensive paint on an unimpressive chopped up frame before you even have a complete and running motor will be considered to be a totally stupid idea by any real motorcycle rider. If you can't get it running then this is a good place to ask for technical assistance.

Sorry to hear of your recent separation :I would highly recommend you get yourself a dog, that will give you company, keep you occupied and dogs are extremely faithful to their master.

#8 ·
Like Trials said, get that engine going first, everything else is pointless if the thing cant go down the road under its own power

#12 ·
Fwiw, I would finish the street tracker project someone else started with it and have something like this (and yes I know this is a cb750 and yours is a GS but there aren't a lot of I4 street trackers around):

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

A laguna style tail, a headlight/numberplate setup, a small mudgaurd attached to a big fork brace, and those slideaway bars. call it a day and send it!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.