1993 BMW Boxer Oilhead R1100RS Cafe Racer Build
Close

This is a discussion on 1993 BMW Boxer Oilhead R1100RS Cafe Racer Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Was looking for a cafe racer type of bike for summer, however, did not want spend much. Found a guy selling BMW R1100RS, which he ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1993 BMW Boxer Oilhead R1100RS Cafe Racer Build

Was looking for a cafe racer type of bike for summer, however, did not want spend much. Found a guy selling BMW R1100RS, which he already stripped and converted to some sort of cafe racer type of beast. However, the problem was the bike he had was all in bits. It did not sell on eBay, so I got in touch with the dude and offered him a price. Long story short, dude delivered the project in bits over to me. It was a bit daunting, as everything was stripped and painted / powder-coated. So this is what my workplace R&D laboratory looks like now…

Name:  Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 18.53.58.png
Views: 233
Size:  599.2 KB

cue the part where you tell us this is your first bike and you you want to know what tools to buy, and whether a manual is a good idea or not. LOL

just kidding. Welcome. I have no idea what a cafe racer oil head would look like, most of what I have seen would fall more into the hatcheted deathtrap abomination category, but good on you for not letting that stop you.
    TrialsRider and 540nova like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

It's easy to take them apart and powder coat things, the trick is in putting them back together and having them work. I'm wondering why he didn't put it together and how little did you pay?

As well as: Do you have a motorcycle background? Did it come with a factory service manual? How do you know all the parts are there? Would you be interested in paying a fellow Brit a handsome sum (too make up for his last project) to assemble it for you...he does nice work, know beemers?

Had to add one.
    Name:  index.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  9.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If that is EVERYTHING he gave you in that pic you do not have a complete motorcycle to re-assemble.

Good luck with it.

Hey guys, thanks for kind replies, not very encouraging, however, I understand the stereotype. One buys a bike, comes to a forum to ask questions that have been answered 1000s of times already.

I'm here just to share experience.

Name:  Screenshot 2019-04-26 at 06.59.58.png
Views: 221
Size:  606.7 KB

When I bought it, the dude said the engine is from 2001 bike, the reg number shows the bike being 1993 BMW R1100RS. The engine looks like it’s seen better days. Rusted aluminium. The guy said he’d done the cylinder heads and apparently it outputs 125 bhp instead of original 90. Did check, it does crank, so at least this is good news. Should probably throw everything together and see it at least runs before cleaning, but I simply cannot work greasy parts. So will crack on with some kind of degreaser to get all the bolts and other small bits cleaned.

Do you have a motorcycle background? Did it come with a factory service manual? How do you know all the parts are there? Would you be interested in paying a fellow Brit a handsome sum (too make up for his last project) to assemble it for you...he does nice work, know beemers?

Some answers to asked questions:
    I dont' have any formal moto background, however, I know my way around mechanics a bit.

The service manual I found on the net.
    I don't know all the parts are there, however, that's even better, makes it harder to complete the build in my eyes.
    I will have a go myself before paying someone else to do it, I tend to like things a bit more when I build them them with my own hands.
    Have no idea about beemers

Done some degreasing of small parts. The parts are from 1993 so that makes them 26 years old. Rust will be an issue. Bought some degreaser, dropped everything into a bucket, left it there for an hour, then used a small brush to remove stubborn grease. After rinsing it with clean water, cleaned all of them with microfibre cloth. Lots of bolts washers and various parts. Have no idea where they go… Yet! The BMW service manual is awesome piece of material though. Youtube is another.

Name:  Screenshot 2019-04-26 at 07.10.17.png
Views: 206
Size:  520.8 KB
    Last edited by vaasmoto; 04-26-2019 at 01:15 AM.

I've been commuting on a 1994 R1100RS for the last 4 years.
    Nice enough bike, but not sure I'd fancy assembling one from a box of bits....Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by steveo; 04-26-2019 at 03:12 AM.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

looks like a gs tank.

125 would be a pretty strong 1100 4v. not sure i'd believe that personally.

anyway, good luck. so glad i dont work on those things anymore, although those early ones weren't that bad compared to the later shit.

If the avatar is a picture of you then at least you're young enough you should be able to have it ready for retirement.

The manual may have a parts list but if not and you could track one down then the it will be easier to determine whats missing.

Damn! I just lost another perfectly good post to the ethernet :|
    So I'll just say Hi good luck and stick around, you're going to need the guys on here.

I like making up names for the motorcycles on here to remember them by, yours I am going to name Waldo.
    woodsman, vaasmoto and Rizza like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links