Yamaha xj900p 2008 - Page 2
Close

Yamaha xj900p 2008

This is a discussion on Yamaha xj900p 2008 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by MotoTeknic i would have to say to maintain weight capacity ratings on the tail i would cut the bar you have indicated ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Yamaha xj900p 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MotoTeknic View Post
    i would have to say to maintain weight capacity ratings on the tail i would cut the bar you have indicated and weld a section of it as support here within the red circle as long as it does not hinder hardware Attachment 97655
    i am going to go with this welded support based of another build i have seen
    Name:  The_rebuild.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  390.8 KB
    Name:  Rear-frame-before-work-started.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  651.0 KB
    Name:  Test_ride_side.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  663.1 KB
    Name:  xj cut.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  1.37 MB

Do you know why that seat brace is shaped like an upside down “U”?

....I do.
    woodsman likes this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

The lousy welds on the bike and this photo tell me this "builder"(hacker) doesn't know what they are doing. Name:  The_rebuild.jpg
Views: 77

You don't sound like you know what you're doing. It is unlikely you will get an endorsement for chopping a motorcycle here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Do you know why that seat brace is shaped like an upside down “U”?

....I do.
    Why? I asked here to get help as my first build

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    The lousy welds on the bike and this photo tell me this "builder"(hacker) doesn't know what they are doing. Name:  The_rebuild.jpg
Views: 77

You don't sound like you know what you're doing. It is unlikely you will get an endorsement for chopping a motorcycle here.
    So since you do why don't you enlighten me on how to do it

Quote Originally Posted by kumailrashid View Post
    Why? I asked here to get help as my first build
    To give the rear wheel clearance. You need that space so the tire doesn’t hit the frame under full compression. If you put a plate where your drawing indicates, you’re going to be in for a rough ride, and short tire life.

I guarantee you that the first bike you posted doesn’t get ridden much, for very long, or at any speed. The last bike you posted (messy welds aside), at least braced the tail section adequately, He also cut it short enough and kicked the top bars up to allow what looks like enough wheel travel. However, this again is a bike that won’t be ridden much...specially in what appears to be the UK. That back tire will be slinging all kinds of road grime right up the riders back. He’ll be sporting a great skunk stripe after the first puddle.

.... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

So i have photo shopped this frame pic i found online please feel free to draw your suggested supports to help
    Name:  xj900 frame cut 1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  938.8 KB

This are the thoughts i had

1st hoop & stepper angle support bar at start of seat
    Name:  xj900 frame cut 4.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  952.0 KB

2nd hoop & support meeting at the same point
    Name:  xj900 frame cut 3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  948.3 KB

3rd Keep the frames the same just trim them to be center of the rear wheel, sort of the POS build XJ
    Name:  xj900 frame.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  608.0 KB
    Name:  1993-yamaha-seca-ii-diversion-xj600-custom-dirt-fighter-cafe-racer-tracker-1.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  458.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kumailrashid; 05-05-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Remember Guys this was part of a package deal i got. I have found a pro welder with MIG, TIG & ARC. So nothing is impossible, i have even thought of going crazy sometimes and if it was possible to get rid of the bottom bar and reweld the shock support to the main frame like in the XJ600. Could that be and option or i would need a new swing arm & shock or can i use the same swing arm n shock ?

Name:  xj900 frame cut relo.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  958.9 KB
    Last edited by kumailrashid; 05-05-2019 at 04:23 AM.

I don't believe you should be cutting parts off the frame. This POS (pile of shit) bike you just posted is ridiculous. Look at the front suspension, where are you going to ride it with 1.5" of travel? The big fat knobbies, low clip ons and rear sets? What is this things purpose?Name:  1993-yamaha-seca-ii-diversion-xj600-custom-dirt-fighter-cafe-racer-tracker-1.JPG
Views: 66

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    This POS (pile of shit) bike you just posted is ridiculous.
    Name:  1993-yamaha-seca-ii-diversion-xj600-custom-dirt-fighter-cafe-racer-tracker-1.JPG
Views: 66
    LOL. It even says POS on the tank!!!!

Kumailrashid, keep in mind the key word around here is Function, function, function. We don’t generally give a rip what a bike looks like if it is useless as a motorcycle. We want it to perform better, handle better, be better than it was. Unfortunately as a new rider, you probably don’t know enough about the bike you have to know where to start, or if anything you do would be an improvement. What we can tell you is that by starting with mods aimed solely at changing the look by hacking up the frame, you won’t “luck” into any improvement
    Last edited by 8ball; 05-05-2019 at 06:47 AM.

My GS550 Build Thread

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links