Yamaha xj900p 2008 - Page 5
Close

Yamaha xj900p 2008

This is a discussion on Yamaha xj900p 2008 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by woodsman I don't believe the OP will have any idea what your talking about. Possibly :| Bottom line is; that would be ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Yamaha xj900p 2008

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I don't believe the OP will have any idea what your talking about.
    Possibly :|

Bottom line is; that would be a suspension downgrade. Manufacturers use the directly connected shock on top of the swingarm to save money not to make it work better, the lower mounted linkage type shock works far better and is featured only on the more expensive performance oriented motorcycle models.

what you need to do, at the very least, is draw a line from the swingarm pivot to the lower shock mount. then another from the lower shock mount to upper shock mount. the angle between them must be less than 90 degrees all through the travel to make it at least somewhat decent. the angle should get bigger the closer it gets to full compression. that will give it a slightly increasing rate. as below.

Name:  xj900 cantilever.png
Views: 64
Size:  481.2 KB

it generally means the upper shock mount needs to be a lot lower than people expect or make them.

Thanks. Yes i check the angles its all good the angle is less then 90 at Full travel. I am keeping the same top mount forward point on the main frame and turning it 90degrees up and the back point of the top mount(currently the bottom rear bar) moves up to under the fuel tank creating a new top bar position. Its not a daily ride, its not meant to practical. Its a scrambler design. im stripping the whole bike im left with the rear swing arm and carbs then i can remove the engine from the frame.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manua.../5JD2_2000.pdf

i have the manual helps

By then all cad drawing should be ready for the new sub-frame Made from 5mm plate

Name:  5mm metal plate.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.47 MB

This is the Goal

Name:  Yamaha XJ900 vision.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  162.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kumailrashid View Post
    Thanks. Yes i check the angles its all good the angle is less then 90 at Full travel. I am keeping the same top mount forward point on the main frame and turning it 90degrees up and the back point of the top mount(currently the bottom rear bar) moves up to under the fuel tank creating a new top bar position. Its not a daily ride, its not meant to practical. Its a scrambler design.
    Scrambler ->

You are building a .... i better not say :|

I would suggest that you ignore the XJ600 idea and focus on welding in two lower rear sub frame rails to connect to the rear of that shock mount. Play some more with photoshop or pen and paper to work out where the tubes could/should go to look elegant and still add sufficient strength.

You do not want to add thick, heavy steel plates which have very little strength or stiffness but add lots of weight.

Option 2: Weld the part you cut off back where it came from.

Thanks for the advice. taking all into consideration im looking at if i can rework the linkage system and keep the bottom linkage system but redesign it so i can get the shock to come up and closer to the main frame, Like in the FZ1. Dont worry guys i have still not cut up the bike its still okay with all in place. still designing.

Any advice on how to rework the linkage system please advice
    I have figured some of it. i gotta re-design similar to image to get my bottom shock mount to come as high as possible give me a new top mount position closer to the frame and higher. sort of like using a raising kit
    Name:  linkage.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  141.2 KB
    TrialsRider likes this.

Hey, I'm just passing by and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

I fear I cannot help you much on what looks like a general downgrade of the bike's characteristics to me, but I just wanted to say that I find it really sad to buy a bike and start modding it hoping that in the end it will look like someone else's bike.
    Don't you have more original ideas? You sure you need to copy someone else?
    Also reading the thread looks like you are waiting for people here to build the bike for you.

Just my opinion

The original linkage design carries the weight low because the mount points and the shock body are low in the frame, that's a performance plus.
    The ride height as well as the load rates are so easy to adjust by simply replacing the 2 small triangle brackets, it's almost ridiculous how cheap and easy it is.
    It's the exact same suspension setup used on the most competitive trials motorcycles and companies like Jitsie sell little aluminum plates for that exact purpose, to raise or lower the rear of the bike. Trust me you don't want to throw it away, you have too much going on there to discard for all the wrong reasons, just keep all the bearings properly serviced and that setup will function far better then anything you could possibly cobble up.

Proper term for the triangle plates is the Delta linkage and the simple term for the aluminum bar with the bearings in each end is the Dog Bone.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-08-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Im here trying to get ideas cause i got a bike that its really the best to be modding and there is hardly any Xj900s done well. Im looking for people's experience and advise. I like the concept or a modern tarmac scrambler. im not going to be going off road i live in Dubai its dry, smooth roads. So thats why i like that idea of the War Machine. I can not achieve the same look but only using it for a concept

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    The original linkage design carries the weight low because the mount points and the shock body are low in the frame, that's a performance plus.
    The ride height as well as the load rates are so easy to adjust by simply replacing the 2 small triangle brackets, it's almost ridiculous how cheap and easy it is.
    It's the exact same suspension setup used on the most competitive trials motorcycles and companies like Jitsie sell little aluminum plates for that exact purpose, to raise or lower the rear of the bike. Trust me you don't want to throw it away, you have too much going on there to discard for all the wrong reasons, just keep all the bearings properly serviced and that setup will function far better then anything you could possibly cobble up.
    The picture i posted is not my linkage set up. i will just raise the shock with a raiser kit and just keep the shock as it is maybe upgrade for more stiffness. idealy i would like to move the top mount of the shock closer to the main frame so i can create any design in the sub frame. Is to create new delta linkage and dogbone to be able to tiltl the shock forward and slightly up to mount it on the main frame
    Name:  IMG_20190507_0012401.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  2.07 MB

My issue i am facing is how to get rid of this bottom bar
    Name:  IMG_20190507_001240c.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  2.50 MB

Can i remove it and put a support from the top of the shock mount to the top bar
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  2.82 MB
    Last edited by kumailrashid; 05-08-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Sponsored Links