KZ750 project - Page 2
Close

KZ750 project

This is a discussion on KZ750 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; That looks like a KZ750 LTD, great bike and comfy for riding. I have a touch of experience with the LTD's as I rode one ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: KZ750 project

Ews
    That looks like a KZ750 LTD, great bike and comfy for riding. I have a touch of experience with the LTD's as I rode one for a few years before selling it last week. Thank you for not wanting to chop the frame, it would not have worked out very well on an LTD anyway given the shape of the frame, it just looks odd. Function over form, always.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    That looks like a KZ750 LTD, great bike and comfy for riding. I have a touch of experience with the LTD's as I rode one for a few years before selling it last week. Thank you for not wanting to chop the frame, it would not have worked out very well on an LTD anyway given the shape of the frame, it just looks odd. Function over form, always.
    Yes, it is a 1981 KZ750 LTD

It was cheap, in decent shape and looked like it would be a good basis for a café(ish) look without a lot of work. The bike is big, wide and heavy so a lot of the café(ish) stuff makes no sense to do to it - like tanks with knee dents, since the engine already sticks out so far that you would just be banging your leg into the engine.

It already had the flat bars on it when I got it and they are comfortable. I removed the grip end mirrors in favor of something that works better for me. The rear fender had been chopped and I think it is a good length aesthetically, and keeps the road gunk off the seat. The kid I bought it from had put plastic bullet lights on it which didn't work right.
    Last edited by Oldjeep; 05-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Ews
    The LTD has a bit of an incline in the seat frame from the tank back.

The standard KZ has a flat seat frame.
    Name:  kz400 frame.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  5.4 KB

If you are ok with the inclined look then you can find some stuff out there.
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  258.3 KB
    Personally I think this one looks odd, the frame shape is very obvious and doesnt look right, also it looks uncomfortable after about 5 minuites of riding.

This one is better I think
    Name:  maxresdefault (1).jpg
Views: 111
Size:  238.9 KB
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The seat setup I put on mine is very comfortable and keeps a stockish height off the ground. I'm 6ft/180 so lowering the seat doesn't appeal to me at all.
    Plus I think it looks right with the bike.
    Name:  IMAG1100.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  3.77 MB

This is a picture of a KZ750 (shaft version) that I had found when I bought my bike. Like the looks aesthetically, but it has had some chopping done to it - bars are way too low for me. It at least showed me that the bike could be made to look better as long as a few different things were done for rideability. To some extent it is like building jeeps - yeah you can jack them to the sky to fit big tires, or you can do it right and make them work properly.

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 117
Size:  209.7 KB
    Last edited by Oldjeep; 05-06-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Brake lines were in the mailbox when I got home today. Nice product, fit well and came with all the bolts and crush washers. Bled the new mc out and installed and bled the lines. I will bleed them again after a test ride, but they feel good. Need a longer bolt and a spacer to get the mirrors right. Had to order from fastenal since nobody local had a 10x1.25x35 socket head. Hopefully tbe weather will cooperate for a ride tommorrow afternoon. Name:  IMAG1124.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  2.17 MBName:  IMAG1125.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  2.11 MBName:  IMAG1126.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  2.10 MB

Took it out for a couple of rides this afternoon, about 30 miles total. Everything seems to be working well enough. The front suspension needs some work, as it dives more than I think it should. Have seals and oil on the way. Tonight I will check for any leaks, make sure everything is tight and check the chain adjustment.
    One thing I need to figure out is mirrors, the current ones are useless.

Watch out for kz650 guys wanting to nab your cylinders or even the whole engine...cuz that stuff bolts right in and can be taken out to 810cc and mixed in with other goodies makes one helluva killer little near 100 hp vintage mid size ujm...
    DSCN0702 by Sean Barney, on Flickr

They are not exactly rare around here. For $750 you can get a 2fer of a 750 and a 500
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...870397414.html

you can probably cut the fork springs down quite a bit to make them a decent rate, then preload them up again. that'd have to help.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links