KZ750 project - Page 4
Close

KZ750 project

This is a discussion on KZ750 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Oldjeep No, only got seals and dust covers. I assume the bushings you are talking about were the ones on the inner ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: KZ750 project

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjeep View Post
    No, only got seals and dust covers. I assume the bushings you are talking about were the ones on the inner rod that is bolted to the bottom of the fork that look like automatic transmission seals? If so then they seemed to still be good. Bike has about 20k on it.
    Seals don't wear out if your bushings are great, the fork oil is black because of aluminum particles being scrubbed off the inside bore of your lower fork legs and the thin black nylon coating on your fork slider bushings wearing off. The slider bushings are the things that look like a big bird band, cylindrical with a saw cut through one side. Chances of bushings still being as good as new is slim to nil because if you are like most people that black fork oil is original equipment.

Ok. The 2 parts you are describing are steel or something like that. The seal I was talking about is not in the pictures. It is on the short inner rod that holds the other spring. That seal is a phenolic type material like shaft seals used in automatic car transmissions.
    correct. hopefully steel with teflon on the bits that rub against stuff inside the fork.

Ok. I will have to take a closer look at the fork that is still apart. Looking online it appears that the leftmost split bushings are black when new and the one that is to the right of it starts out looking like chrome.
    Thanks for all the info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

trail's info will be better than mine on the bushes.

OK, so I ran out during lunch and picked up an 8MM hex bit and then finished taking the other side apart. I see what you mean about the black coating on the bottom piece. The one that I pulled out is still completely black on 75% of the piece and has a coppery hue shining through in a few places. For now it will all go back together and I'll get all 4 bushings on order somewhere for future use when I make some other adjustments to the springs/spacers.
    Name:  IMAG1135.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  244.2 KB
    Name:  IMAG1136.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  208.7 KB

Sometimes the aftermarket ones are not a very good fit, watch out for that too.
    I put them together dry first and check for a rattle fit, if they aren't good send them back :| they charge enough for them.

Put another 40 miles or so on it yesterday and the fork performance was a lot better after the new seals and oil. Put 8.5 lbs of air in it per the manual. Only issue on the ride was when the tach stopped working. Cable nut had vibrated off, easy fix. Next thing to figure out is some mirrors that actually work. Hoping that these ones will do the trick
    https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-cn060-sl.html
    Last edited by Oldjeep; 05-12-2019 at 05:09 AM.

Put another 40 miles or so on it yesterday and the fork performance was a lot better after the new seals and oil. Put 8.5 lbs of air in it per the manual. Only issue on the ride was when the tach stopped working. Cable nut had vibrated off, easy fix. Next thing to figure out is some mirrors that actually work. Hoping that these ones will do the trick
    https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...-cn060-sl.html
    When you say your mirrors dont work, what do you mean exactly? Do they vibrate? Not wide enough (you just see your elbows)?

If it's a vibration thing you can fill your bars with lead / silicon / something to limit the vibration.

The current mirrors don't have enough adjustment to see behind.

For about a hundred bucks you can put a rear view camera on it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links