KZ750 project
Close

KZ750 project

This is a discussion on KZ750 project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; New guy here. Bought my first bike project last fall as a non-runner in pretty good shape and less than 20K miles on it. Carbs ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: KZ750 project

KZ750 project

New guy here. Bought my first bike project last fall as a non-runner in pretty good shape and less than 20K miles on it. Carbs leaked like crazy, which was its main problem. Built a number of jeeps and little british cars, but this is the first 2 wheeler. Also worth mentioning that the last time I rode an motorcycle I was 17 (49 now).
    Here is what $400 buys in the fall. A mostly stock 81 KZ750 with original tires.
    Name:  IMAG0506 - Copy.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  4.67 MB

Wound up getting distracted with a lot of other things this winter, so I really started working on it a month or 2 ago. First issue to figure out was the carbs. It appears that someone tried to solder the cracked overflow tubes and the solder shut the one that was missing. After a little research I found that the tubes were done away with a couple years later and that the carbs would just overflow into the airbox and out a drain tube. Fine with me - center drilled them out and filled them. While I was at it did a basic kit in each carb and there we go the bike runs fine.
    Name:  IMAG1052.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  IMAG1054.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  5.24 MB
    Name:  IMAG1053.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.82 MB

Next, need to get rid of the old tires. They looked fine, but the date codes were 1980. Break out the spoons and put the new ones on. Used dyna beads for balancing. Figure if they work on a 37" mud tire then they might work on an MC tire too
    Name:  IMAG1046.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  4.07 MB
    Name:  IMAG1047.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  4.54 MB
    Name:  IMAG1048.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  3.66 MB
    Name:  IMAG1050.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  4.22 MB

Next the exhaust. Didn't want anything too loud, so I went with the MAC 4-1 system and left the baffles in. Looks and sounds decent and bolted right up
    Name:  IMAG1081.jpg
Size:  1.94 MB
    Name:  IMAG1087.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.77 MB

At this point it stopped snowing long enough for the roads to dry up and go for a test drive. Everything seemed to be working pretty well until the front brakes locked up. Oops - I'd replaced pads all around and checked the master cylinders, but had not flushed the lines. Well the calipers and lines were all full of goo. Ordered up some rebuild kits, a new front lever/MC and some stainless lines. Calipers are all rebuilt and hopefully the lines come Monday.
    Name:  IMAG1090.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.72 MB
    Name:  IMAG1091.jpg
Size:  3.85 MB
    Name:  IMAG1092.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  1.79 MB
    Name:  IMAG1093.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  4.34 MB

Meanwhile the seat I ordered from Texavina showed up. Nice work and it retains all the factory hinge/latch hardware
    Name:  IMAG1100.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  3.77 MB
    Name:  IMAG1123.jpg
Size:  4.71 MB
    Name:  IMAG1099.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  3.95 MB

Future plans are to ride it a bunch, repaint the tank and then figure out what comes next. Need to move the forward controls back a bit so that it doesn't have such a straight up riding position.

Chuck
    Http://www.oldjeep.com
    Last edited by Oldjeep; 05-05-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldjeep View Post
    Future plans are to ride it a bunch, repaint the tank and then figure out what comes next.
    This is the post of the week!!!!

Is the suspension wonky, am I happy with the riding position or do I want it more racy, are the forks shot, are the brakes to my liking, does the bike turn like I want or need it to for my purpose, is the engine happy...

So much you can learn from just riding.
    Last edited by jcw; 05-05-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    woodsman and Tanshanomi like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Wow. A proper approach to a project. That’s unusual. Good job!
    woodsman, CaTacL1sm and Tanshanomi like this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

It is nice to have a new member who doesn't start a thread with "I want too cut the tail off and weld on a hoop". You should pull the forks off and do the seals and fluid it's likely in a similar state to the brake fluid. The seat does seem to fit nicely and looks well made.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    It is nice to have a new member who doesn't start a thread with "I want too cut the tail off and weld on a hoop". You should pull the forks off and do the seals and fluid it's likely in a similar state to the brake fluid. The seat does seem to fit nicely and looks well made.
    Oddly enough I have a set of seals and dust boots in my ebay cart, so they are on the list. Need to do a little research on how to perform that operation, but based on the parts it doesn't look any worse than rebuilding a caliper.
    As for cutting off the frame, I'm not really understanding why I would want to do that anyway. While I do have plenty of welding/fabrication experience the only frame hacking I plan on is removing the big stock turn signal mounts that are on the underside of the frame.

jcw
    Dust seals on a modern USD does require some helpful tools and tricks. Not sure on the older conventional forks, but I would assume so.
    Get yourself a workshop manual and go through the procedure before starting.

jcw
    Here, in case you don't have one...

https://www.kzrider.com/modules/Serv...KZ750E1&H1.pdf

The E2 supplement to the original manual is here...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...981%20KZ750-E2

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    Here, in case you don't have one...

https://www.kzrider.com/modules/Serv...KZ750E1&H1.pdf

The E2 supplement to the original manual is here...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...981%20KZ750-E2
    Thanks. Mine is an H2, but I'm guessing that H1 manual should be close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjeep View Post
    As for cutting off the frame, I'm not really understanding why I would want to do that anyway.
    This is because you seem to understand why mechanical things are made as they are. Hang around awhile and you'll find that the angle grinder with a cut off wheel is the prized tool of the modern backyard bike "builder". And that sense is no longer common.

Generally for older forks you don't require anything specialized that is expensive, you may even have what you need. Get a hold of a manual and you'll find it a pretty basic job.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links