Ducati Monster S4
Close

Ducati Monster S4

This is a discussion on Ducati Monster S4 within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Well I recently bought this "barn find" bike that I will be transforming into my dream bike. Step one is to 100% take it all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ducati Monster S4

Ducati Monster S4

Well I recently bought this "barn find" bike that I will be transforming into my dream bike.
    Step one is to 100% take it all apart.....

Oh.....wait.

So the board has been rather slow these days, figured I would track some of the progress and stories of the new bike here.
    Before my wife and I bought our first house about a year ago I sold off most of the vintage bikes.

This spring I started casually looking for something to ride to work and bomb around upstate NY on.
    Looked at a million different options, but kept coming back to a Ducati Monster.

Then as luck would have it I stumbled across this 2001 S4 at a semi local dealer.
    Seems to be a one owner bike, almost 100% stock, clean an about 9k miles.

Name:  4718.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  91.8 KB

No real plans to "build" anything with it.
    But that isnt to say things will be stock either.

So far I have put a few hundred miles on it and come to the conclusion the tires need to be changed as the first order of business.
    They have good tread, but are dated 2006 and starting to get hard. I am not a huge fan of how they feel when being pushed. That said I am not actually an overly fast or skilled rider, so it might just be me being a scardy cat.

Ordered some Michelin Power RS tires for it.
    Also some EBC pads. Figure the fluid needs to be changed and I might as well swap out the pads.

Bought some stock mirrors as I am not a fan of the bar ends.
    I am sure I will track down some little carbon ad ons here and there as well.

There is no record of a belt that would be "in time", but I checked the one on the motor now and it looks/feels perfect.
    Have the tools to change it, but probably will not bother this season.
    Maybe if the fears of the flaking rockers gets to me first.....

One project I do want to take on is the suspension. Would like to rebuild/upgrade it.
    Never had a performance bike tailored to me, and think that would be fun and interesting.
    Suggestions?
    CaTacL1sm, Geeto67 and jcw like this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

I know Race Tech builds custom shocks, if you don't want to go with the "common" ohlins upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Start with a sawsall cut the seat off

I believe in the 2 year belt plan o matter what they look like.
    I have fount even on a new bike proper oil change and level often transform the bike.

Next I would go race tech and quality rear shock + spring/s weight/sags and or fork internals kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    I like the guys at Traxxion Dynamics

They have a rear shock revalve and respring service that they will customize to your weight. On the front they offer their own in house rebound and compression valves. I'd DIY it (install them myself), but on their website they say it's a send in service only. Probably requires a bunch of specialized tools anyway. They can respring the forks and set the air gap, and clean, sand and debur the tubes. Your forks will literally be better than new. They also check for straightness, too, so don't be too surprised if they say your tubes are slightly bent. They do tube straightening too.

Looking at the website you are probably in for $1000+... But like I said, your suspension will be better than new.

My brother had a monster. Nearly killed him, on some road in California... good times.
    Last edited by jcw; 05-20-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    ... They also check for straightness, too, so don't be too surprised if they say your tubes are slightly bent. They do tube straightening too. ...
    On USD forks? that's a scary thought.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    ... They also check for straightness, too, so don't be too surprised if they say your tubes are slightly bent. They do tube straightening too. ...
    On USD forks? that's a scary thought.
    still the steel parts

still the steel parts
    The steel parts if any would be the stanchion tubes (although they are now starting to make those out of aluminum alloy as well), any time I bent forks it was always at the bottom of the lower triple tree yoke. I would expect a bend on a USD fork in that same place would be terminal. Plus considering that USD forks are intended to be more resistant to flexing in that area the aluminum outer tube is going to be scrap if it was subjected to crash type impact forces. Scary expensive bits that imply a crash happened at some point in time.

... should think you would experience oil leakage, wear marks and binding in the suspension travel if USD forks become bent, no?
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-21-2019 at 07:08 AM.

I will say one thing I have never regretted is having a good suspension on the bike you can never under estimate having a properly set up suspension for your bodyweight .
    jaguar likes this.

Jag

i have a set of pilot power rs takeoffs from last season.

i go thru a set or two per season doing trackdays

they are fresh and have tons of tread

let me know

yeah im 20 miles south of boston
    latered

the forks are the typically flawed short adjuster showa, but can be fixed. you can fit gsxr cartridges or others. there's a bloke i use locally who makes each leg single function.

does it have a sachs shock? you should be able to get it redone satisfactorily too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links