1973 DT3 Build
Close

1973 DT3 Build

This is a discussion on 1973 DT3 Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; A while back I had posted a picture of my build in the "ultimate cafe racer thread". Thought i'd share a bit of an update ...

Thread: 1973 DT3 Build

1973 DT3 Build

A while back I had posted a picture of my build in the "ultimate cafe racer thread". Thought i'd share a bit of an update with you guys.

I have since swapped out the original enduro top end for a DT2-MX cylinder, piston, and head. I've been doing some reading and research for a while and finally got around to building my first expansion chamber. The bike absolutely hauls now. Working on fabbing up a silencer and a fork brace next. I mostly ride on country roads but it's still a bit loud.

Still more I want to do, bike still needs better suspension. Will probably start reading up on porting and messing with that a bit as well

Other specs are:

Barnett 7 plate clutch
    Mikuni tm32 carburetor
    Fiber reeds
    Avon tires

Name:  IMG_0344.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  815.2 KB

suspension wise:

FORK BRACE? (those spaghetti noodle forks need all the help they can get)
    race tech emulators
    race tech springs

Koni/Ikon rear shocks (or some custom Hagons)...
    But I think any good shock you get is going to bottom out on the flat inner fender (kudos for having one though) and after that it's going to hit the bottom of your seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

It's still loud in the country is it? Did you give any thought to the fact that the country folk don't want to hear the fucking thing at all, ever! If your riding was in my neck of the woods you would get attention that you didn't want.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    It's still loud in the country is it? Did you give any thought to the fact that the country folk don't want to hear the fucking thing at all, ever! If your riding was in my neck of the woods you would get attention that you didn't want.
    Let me rephrase. I don’t just ride out in the country. I live out in the country...I know what is acceptable for my area. Hence why I said that it is in fact too loud and I am building a silencer. So feel free to calm yourself.

I was kinda thinking ground clearance might become an issue :| looks like you have more suspension travel then ground clearance, might want to tuck the next exhaust system up a little tighter to the frame.

"Avon tires" <- you figure they are good do you :| I'll never buy another one as long as I live.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-31-2019 at 07:07 AM.

It’s close but not quite as close as it looks. I’m drafting up another pipe now with some diff specs. I’ll try and tuck it up more this time

Had a bad experience with the Avon’s?

Yea what do you have against avons? I have roadriders on everything
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

I've had about 7 different makes of tires on my K100RS and the Avon tyres on there now sucked the most out of the lot. Terrible in wet, never inspired confidence, sidewalls all cracked prematurely. Had to keep the front one pumped up to max recommended pressure so that it didn't shake, I'll be replacing them with tread left on there and they are going in the garbage.

Plus I been spoiled by riding radials a lot lately. I'm thinking of Metzler for that bike next.

I did complain about them to Avon distributor the first week btw. got nowhere with it.

Not putting alloy rims on it? How come nobody puts on alloy rims?
    :I would notice even if nobody else did, is a nice touch for not crazy money.

... I'd be putting a cable on that rear brake too, that way it won't activate your rear brake or move the peddle pressure point a little bit when you hit bumps
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-31-2019 at 06:19 PM.

You going to oil that foam air filter?

Between that hanging out in the open, non-silenced chamber air cooled 2-smoke and no fairing
    :| ya that is going to be sinful loud even for a race track, people around you are going to hate you.

I tried making one quiet once, it ultimately was a question of how much performance you were willing to sacrifice.
    poor mans port job; 100 octane and amsol 100:1 premix, open the stops on the reed cage a little if you haven't already.
    and how do you plan to not wheelie? you are so going to be a heat score and lose your license.

Sponsored Links