1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build - Page 2
Close

1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build

This is a discussion on 1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; If it's not a radial tire, it just doesn't work like a radial tire. That's the only problem with the old model rim sizes, they ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build

If it's not a radial tire, it just doesn't work like a radial tire. That's the only problem with the old model rim sizes, they just don't make the radial tires to fit them and if they do I haven't found them yet.

continental are making radials now in some of these old sizes. they're expensive, but people do like them from what i've read.

i've replaced sport demon with bt45 on a few bikes recently that customers have been much happier with. seems a fairly consistant opinion - i would have expected the sport demon to be a good tyre.

Good to know about the bt45. I will do more research on them for sure.

Decided to paint my rims today with the Metzeler tires that are currently on. They're in fare condition and will allow me to drive the bike to shake out any cobwebs before I purchase a new set and potentially powdercoat the rims.

Decided on an "oil dipped Bronze" just put 2K clear on and letting them de-gas for 24hrs before I mount up and roll the bike out into sunlight.

This week I should be able to get the bike finished
    - Ducati grip mounted - hi-idle speed "choke" on the way
    - Front Turn Signals
    - Headlight mount
    - Still searching for a muffler option
    - Resizing the kickstand (interferes with the rearsets)
    - Painting the center stand
    - Going to powdercoat the rearsets to the color of the rims once I tackle that
    - Seat loop/brackets welded in (going to have to find a mobile welder to make a house call)

Excited to get this on the road and some miles in the saddle!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Had a chance to do some cleaning up as I wait for the last bits.

Decided to try a bronze color on the wheels, and think I am going to land on powder coated nardo grey. The lighter color does so much more for these wheels in my opinion.

Got my motogadget installed in my custom top clamp, adding a few warning LEDs to the headlight once my mounting brackets get in, hid my super loud new horn in the cowl.

Need recos on Exhaust, I almost want a straight pipe w minimal muffling. Thoughts?

So close!

Name:  31A050DF-77E0-4325-813F-D1D3CCF334CF.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  2.52 MB

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  3.07 MB

Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  3.57 MB
    TrialsRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostordinary View Post

Need recos on Exhaust, I almost want a straight pipe w minimal muffling. Thoughts?
    Yeah, don't be that guy.

Loud pipes suck. They don't sound good, they're just annoying in a "look at me, I'm an attention starved moron" sort of way. The only reason to not run mufflers is ego. The bike will not run better. The bike will not sound better. It will just be loud, which pisses off everyone.

Put a straight through muffler on it that's packed with fiberglass, not something that's just 1/2" larger diameter than the inlet pipe and 3" long. Remove the high frequencies and take the edge off. Everyone will be happier.

If you DO run straight pipes, prepare yourself for the "Sorry about your small dick" comments from people, cuz they are usually a sign you're compensating for something.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

imho Bead blast the rims and clear coat them. those rims look awesome just don't stick a leg or arm through there when they are turning.
    but then I would be keeping the awesome stock exhaust too. ... the bike is fucking stealth with it on there. Stealth is good unless you like getting tickets.
    and for heavens sake put a f'ing front fender on it, put a little rear wheel shield close to the tire too, just like on a real motorcycle.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-06-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    woodsman likes this.

Hmmmmm. Triggered. Ok.

Re: the exhaust, I definitely don't want an open system.. this thing is way too loud. What I should have said, does anyone have any recos for a muffler?

The stock sounds great, def that 3 cylinder BMW sound, it's just tooo damn long. I've seen some k100 folks (Ditstang) that have shortened the stocker, but after talking with them they don't recommend this route with the k75.

Re: fenders, I have a couple on order, coming from Europe, hoping one fits the build I am looking for and will be putting something outback once I get a metal fabricator.

Rims are going to powder coating next weekend. Nardo grey will really set this off in my opinion. All that said, I honestly can't wait to get saddle time. And really get this bike buttoned up.

The 4 cylinder understeers a lot, yours is ~20% better but be ready to need to muscle it through the tighter corners or you might find yourself going wide. You won't be doing too many wheelies with it but they do fly nice and level when you are airborne, speed bumps are a hoot if you hit them right. On gravel roads the bias tires don't give you a very confident ride. Fuel economy is very good. The gear indicator is nice, hopefully you can keep that feature or you might occasionally be looking for a 6th. gear. Make your gear shifts very positive, they have a pretty long throw on the shift lever and some have a problem with that if you shift it as if it was a typical Japanese bike it won't work so good.

If you want shorter mufflers, just trim them down and have a new cap welded on. Make sure to have the baffle tube welded to the cap and use decent packing material with metal zip ties.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Buy another stock exhaust from a wrecker, butcher and learn how to weld stainless on the worst one, you might need 2 tries to gat it right.,
    Actually can you just shorten the tail end of the header tubes enough?
    You can get those at a wreckers too if it suddenly makes performance suck.

Some insides can rust out btw, I replaced my entire rear exhaust once on the K100RS because of that, was big bucks too!
    OEM ~800$ circa 1996 if I recall correct.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-07-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links