1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build
Close

This is a discussion on 1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Good morning. Building out my 91 BMW K75S into a cafe racer that I am falling in love with. It's been a slow build due ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1991 BMW K75S - Cafe Racer Build

Good morning.

Building out my 91 BMW K75S into a cafe racer that I am falling in love with.

It's been a slow build due to work and owning two Land Rovers... but it's been a lot of fun learning about this bike.

This is my first build out, so there has been a lot of trial and error, and misc parts that I can't return.. but, it's coming out better than I could have imagined.

Name:  k75_OG.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  59.5 KB
    Name:  k75_OG3.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  60.7 KB
    Name:  k75_OG2.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  k775_naked2.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  k775_naked4.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  k775_naked3.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  74.7 KB
    Name:  k775_build_up.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  75.8 KB

Now I'm tackling the wiring of my motogadget motoscope mini, and accessory lights.

Re-lubing the driveshaft spline today and working out how to get my choke to work properly since I've opted to swap out the dated BMW hand controls for a nice set from a Ducati.

Looking forward to getting more progress pics uploaded and hopefully sharing my knowledge with anyone that's going through a similar build.

-Ian

Quote Originally Posted by almostordinary View Post
    ... working out how to get my choke to work properly since I've opted to swap out the dated BMW hand controls for a nice set from a Ducati.
    -Ian
    It's not really a choke it just pulls the throttle on a little bit, should be easy to add something right on the throttle linkage.

... what tires are those and let me know how you like them for wet riding.

I think I may only put a handful of miles on these tires, I am going to go with Pirelli Angel GT2s once I get the bike on the road.

I just found a solution for the "choke" that will compliment my handle bar setup.

Ordered a Fast idle control from a 2001 Ducati ST4, it will go on next to the left hand controls and give everything a nice tidy look.

Bought a new unit, but the one below gives some insight on the part:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/362411912073?chn=ps

Just ordered a slightly smaller headlight, the 7" that I have on now is choking for space, have seen a few other K bikes with a 6.5" that really fits nicely and snug to the forks... should have that in by tomorrow so I can do final wiring to my Motogadget Motoscope Mini and make some custom indicator LEDs for Neutral, & left and right turn signals... then take everything apart up front and paint.

Still haven't decided on the color for the wheels. I am between either Nardo Grey or a black metallic. The tank is a Blue/Black metallic that's from Landrover.

The seat will be painted to match, with a black saddle.. damn it's so close to being done, but so far!
    Last edited by almostordinary; 06-01-2019 at 05:24 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

lol just noticed you have ABS, forget about the rear wheel hop recommendation there is nothing you can do about it if it hops. Or are you removing all the ABS?

... you know that early ABS system had so much power requirement they had to fit the bikes with larger batteries to power the pumps :|

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol just noticed you have ABS, forget about the rear wheel hop recommendation there is nothing you can do about it if it hops. Or are you removing all the ABS?

... you know that early ABS system had so much power requirement they had to fit the bikes with larger batteries to power the pumps :|
    Yup,

I've already ditched the ABS system it was massive and not sure it even worked.

Will only be using the center stand w this bike, I am keeping the side stand for emergencies (if the ground isn't flat enough for the center).

Just finished painting and clearing the forks and all the triple trees looks great.

Have oil rubbed bronze paint coming in tomorrow so I can do the wheels and calipers. All paint is finished w 2X clear.

Hoping to reassemble everything by Wednesday/Thurs once the paint cures and I can do a quick wet sanding/polish.

Ordered a 6.5" headlight, because the two 7" headlights I've had just didn't work for clearance, and converting the headlight to LED.

On the fence paying $200 for motogadet endbar turnsignals, but all the others I've tried I've had to return as the build quality has been subpar.

Going to hire a welder to come by and weld up the rear seat loop so I can get that all dialed in and then send the seat off to upholstery.

I'll be on the road in 2-3 weeks, super excited!

I just put some newer model tank badges on mine, they make it look way better. No way would I give up the original tail trunk, it's too handy.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.

i don't think you'll get angel gt2 in sizes to suit

you could put the clip ons on top of the top triple to use up the fork tube sticking up. or just shorten the travel and respring it to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    i don't think you'll get angel gt2 in sizes to suit

you could put the clip ons on top of the top triple to use up the fork tube sticking up. or just shorten the travel and respring it to suit.
    You're right on the tires. I am now looking at a Pirelli Sport Demon setup. The reviews are great and it accommodates my wheel setup/size:

Front - 100/90/18
    Rear - 130/90/17

At the moment I like the clip ons position with them underneath the top triple and the ride position with the rear sets.

Once I get the bike on the road I will adjust as needed based on long term comfort.

i'd go bt45 over sport demon. or lazertec like it has on the front now.

The Sport Demons and Lasertecs are basically the same tire...with different tread patterns. Metzeler and Pirelli are the same company for a long time, now.

I like the Sport Demons on my bike, but I will be trying other tires as I wear these out. So far the tire limit has exceeded the limitations of the chassis on my bike.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links