My Ape project - Page 10
Close

My Ape project

This is a discussion on My Ape project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw I've still not tried my hand at fiberglassing... It's something I've got to learn. I dabble with it a bit, but ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: My Ape project

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I've still not tried my hand at fiberglassing...
    It's something I've got to learn.
    I dabble with it a bit, but still learning ,....In the process of modifying (widening) a plug for a mold. Lots of good videos out there. Only advice would be.. if your work area is attached to the house, I’d recommend using epoxy instead of the usual resin to keep the peace. It doesn’t stink to high heaven. Also IMHO, the epoxy is much better at resisting the effects of ethanol. Epoxy costs more, but worth it, especially for smaller indoor projects.

Name:  B1284E2B-9C1F-4730-A249-8F14577CC3A9.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  106.6 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I dabble with it a bit, but still learning ,....In the process of modifying (widening) a plug for a mold. Lots of good videos out there. Only advice would be.. if your work area is attached to the house, I’d recommend using epoxy instead of the usual resin to keep the peace. It doesn’t stink to high heaven. Also IMHO, the epoxy is much better at resisting the effects of ethanol. Epoxy costs more, but worth it, especially for smaller indoor projects.

Name:  B1284E2B-9C1F-4730-A249-8F14577CC3A9.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  106.6 KB
    For one off I would just glass the stryo and than remove the what you can and melt out whats left. not really worth making a plug mold and than glass or fiber tank for a one off. This could be fairly easy to clean out if you need a pump pump panel anyhow.

Agreed, but.... When I said plug for a mold, that was a bit misleading. It’s actually a plug for a buck to be used for panel beating...if it doesn’t work out as planned, then I can use it to make a mold. The plan B tank I have in mind (composite) doesn’t really lend itself to just glassing foam otherwise I would consider going that route...... but then I’ll already have the plug. At that point making a mold would be preferable just so I don’t have to sand fibreglass and deal with the mess and stink of bondo. I can pretty much do as I please around here as long as the bride doesn’t have to put up with any noxious fumes or stink, so worth it to keep the peace.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    Spent the weekend modeling more designs and this one seemed to bend the best. The entire unit flexed together without any real hot spots.
    Name:  subframe.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  86.9 KB

Started tacking the braces
    Name:  subframeleft.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  407.4 KB
    Name:  subframeright.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  379.9 KB

Need to get more 1/2" tubing
    Last edited by jcw; 08-19-2019 at 04:04 PM.

i like the work and design
    at the attach\ment points the end pieces that the bolts go thru the best scenario is an outer ring of contact
    simply using a chatterless countersink works fine
    this pretty much eliminates what will happen eventually if not done
    the surfaces will work ever so slightly over time and with the aluminum it will especially wear so that the joint wants to move andf rellies much less on the friction of contact but of the modulas of the bolts
    so that the contact is an outer ring about 3/16'' wide
    another way to do it is braze or silver solder some an warshers on to give a nice large diameter band of contact
    having the an just slightly larger od than the end fitting diameter allows a beautiful tiny fillet of brass or silver and will not warp the warsher like a weld
    then get you a set of shcs countersinks(piloted counterboring tool) to make the socket head cap screw attachment bolts be flush https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...yABEgLN5PD_BwE
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 08-19-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    jcw likes this.

jcw
    finally found some time to work on the subframe. finished the last brace. i havent decided whether to do an undertail. if so, ill leave the rails parallel and hang the exhaust between with a cross brace.

Name:  subframez.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  269.3 KB

Spent yesterday at the track. Beautiful day in the low 80's. Best trackday weather in a long time.
    Got my tire wear situation sorted out. Went faster a little. Still slow.
    Nothing fell off the bike. And kept it on the rubber.

Good day.
    Last edited by jcw; 09-01-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    jakejensen likes this.

jcw
    Trackday season over for me.
    Last scheduled day was rained out today.
    $200 down the crapper.

On the other hand, I get some free time to work on this finally. Welded up the subframe. Getting the welder dialed in was a little more challenging than I expected. One of the issues was my fit up was amateurish and crap. I tried welding with a thin filler wire and blew through a few welds before realizing due to the gap, I needed a bigger filler wire to jam in there.

Anyway, It's done with an almost acceptable amount of distortion. I'll hit the thing with an oxy/acetylene torch while it's clamped in place to relieve some of the stress.

Next up is the undertail exhaust. I think I am going to go with a Hindle cone exhaust again.
    https://www.ripplerockracers.com/pro...le-mufflers-2/

Name:  allmufflers.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  157.6 KB

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Sponsored Links