My Ape project - Page 2
Close

My Ape project

This is a discussion on My Ape project within the Project Builds forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Have you done any poking around to check things out? Being a plain bearing crank, they obviously don’t like that sort of thing. How easy ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: My Ape project

Have you done any poking around to check things out? Being a plain bearing crank, they obviously don’t like that sort of thing. How easy is it to peek at one of the cam journals?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw
    I share because I guess misery loves company...

After that, I filled and ran the engine, then drained it again. Inspected the filter. Didn't see anything, but I'm not sure what to expect really. Engine sounds like shit to begin with, rattling drive chain and all.
    Went out for a short run up and down the street a couple days later after self flagellating myself and things felt OK? I will take a peek at the cam journals at some point here.

One of the reasons for the FAIL was the hack job done on the wiring to fit an el cheapo Koso tach. I think the oil pressure wire to the gauge which worked at first, just fell out of whatever socket it was jammed into at some point otherwise I would have shut the engine down the second I saw no/low oil pressure.
    As it was, I had a AT LEAST 5+ minutes idling on the rear stand with very little oil... I see those plain bearings heating up and seizing and spinning in my dreams. I suppose the cams would should wear first as they basically run on nothing but oil film.

So, the next step will be fitting oil pressure/oil temp sensors and gauge and a decent tach. I think I want those installed before I even bother taking the bike out again.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Hopefully you have a roller bearing mounted cam because otherwise it might have been steel running on aluminum. Did your valve clearance change? if no you 'might' be amazingly ok if yes :| oh oh that might not be good.

... was a dirt bike design surely they made it to handle low oil pressure

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

That has been my experience with the engines I have worked on. Usually the cam suffers first, so if things look ok there, then you’re probably ok (assuming it too runs on plain bearings). I acquired a CM400 (obviously not in the same league) that has seized and fallen over due to a piece of crankcase webbing coming lose and derailing the oil pump chain. The cam had seized, but the crank bearings showed no sign of scoring. What kind of bearings does the cam run on?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ps...If you want a tach that is just a tach, have a look at Scitsu. They won’t break the bank. Can’t personally vouch for them, although the guy in the UK was very helpful. Wanted one badly for a project, but ended up having to go a different route...
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Tried to find it just now and it certainly looks like the cam rides on a big ass roller bearing, I think you are good to go.

i don't remember now. been a long time since i was inside one, not nearly long enough though.

just had a look in the manwell, ball bearings it is. just the crank that'll be rooted then.

they always did sound a bit crap when started. with a single pick up on the crank, they run wasted spark and fuel for the first little while while the ecu works out where in the cycle the crank is, then they go to once per cycle. you can hear the change in sound.

if it has a balance hose between the throttle bodies, block it. it'll start and idle a shit load better.

Oh well.... for the time run, the ball bearings won’t give any indication what’s gone on down below, although the cam/followers may. PITA, but worth pulling the bottom case off and having a look. If their cranks are decent, then good chance you can get away with just shells. While you are in there you may as well........
    Last edited by Cyorg; 06-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

jcw
    Maybe I'll just run the fukker until I see metal shavings in the oil...
    Maybe send a used oil analysis?

Engine probably gets a refresh in a year or so anyway. The routine maintenance on these things is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    The routine maintenance on these things is crazy.
    Oil change every other lap?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links